Antietiem Day

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
I know I'm posting this a few minutes late, but September 17th is the anniverery of the Battle of Antietam.

Too bad Grant was not in charge at that battle. He would have destroyed Lee's army that day. It would have been destroyed. No way he would have let them run away.

Damn!

I know I'm posting this a few minutes late, but September 17th is the anniverery of the Battle of Antietam.

Too bad Grant was not in charge at that battle. He would have destroyed Lee's army that day. It would have been destroyed. No way he would have let them run away.

Damn!

Disagree. Grant would have given Lee every opportunity to get away. Grant showed no special intutition at maneuver warfare. The North declared Antietam a victory solely for the reason it was the first time they hadn't been chased completely from the field with their tails between their legs.

The Army of Northern Viriginia did not "run away." That's BS. They achieved only part of their objective and when it became clear the political part of his objective was not going to materialize -- Marylanders welcoming them with open arms and joining the Army of Northern Virginia in droves -- there was no reason for Lee to stay in Sharpsburg.

Having walked most of that battlefield, I can only say I'm DAMNED glad I wasn't there.

Took the family to Ball's Bluff in Northern Virginia today. It was a total Confederate victory, in 1861, year of the start of the Civil War. The Union general, Stone, was later sent to the hoosegow over the whole thing. Only battle ever in which a U.S. Senator died.

Forum List

Back