High Bridge, VA

bdtex

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2013
IMG_20220610_082958698_HDR.jpg

While the Battle of Sailor's Creek was happening on April 6, 1865, the Battle of High Bridge was happening nearby on April 6 and 7, 1865. The April 6 action was a successful attempt to hold the bridge open to allow part of Lee's army to cross the bridge over the Appomattox River and retreat eastward from Richmond and Petersburg. The April 7 action was an unsuccessful attempt to destroy the bridge to keep pursuing Union troops from crossing it and the Appomattox River.

The picture above is the Appomattox River taken in June 2022 from the modern bridge which is a popular hiking and biking trail. The old bridge is long gone but there are sections of the original pilings remaining down below.

Last edited:
The only decent shot I got of the old bridge pilings. Even though only the base of some of them are wartime, according to the link below work on the old pilings began immediately after the war and the trains were crossing High Bridge again beginning in September 1865. Not sure "pilings" is the correct term. Trestles might be the correct term. I saw the word "pillars" used too.

IMG_20220610_083636605_HDR.jpg

The other end of High Bridge 18 minutes after I started on it. I walked all the way across it. I never saw the way to get down to the bottom to see what's left of the original pilings. The whole visit was a quick one and was added to the day's itinerary the night before. I couldn't resist being so close and not going. It turned out to be the highlight of the morning for me.

IMG_20220610_084518621_HDR.jpg

Some of the original earthwork fortifications protecting High Bridge are still there. I wasn't aware of that before my visit.

IMG_20220610_090640286_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220610_090332083_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220610_090529660_HDR.jpg

Great pictures, you are on an anniversary visit I see. I think the war only lasted another couple days after Lee's army crossed that bridge. I'm so glad to see that the surroundings are in their original condition from 1865.

I think the war only lasted another couple days after Lee's army crossed that bridge.
The surrender at Appomattox CH was on April 9, 1865. I visited there in January 2015.

Great pictures, you are on an anniversary visit I see.
Thanks. I visited High Bridge in June 2022. I'm just posting about Sailor's Creek and High Bridge on the battle anniversaries and because of my relatively recent visit and pictures in 2022.

The other end of High Bridge 18 minutes after I started on it. I walked all the way across it. I never saw the way to get down to the bottom to see what's left of the original pilings. The whole visit was a quick one and was added to the day's itinerary the night before. I couldn't resist being so close and not going. It turned out to be the highlight of the morning for me.

View attachment 928810

The Camp Paradise Trail is the one you take if you want to be at the bottom (should you ever be back through the area)

The Camp Paradise Trail is the one you take if you want to be at the bottom (should you ever be back through the area)
Thanks for the tip. I definitely want to go back. I was the only one up on the bridge while I was there. I could hear the bullfrogs below.

Thanks for the tip. I definitely want to go back. I was the only one up on the bridge while I was there. I could hear the bullfrogs below.
Yep. Not much goes on in the Farmville area off the college campuses other than cow mooing and pooping. Perhaps the most appropriately named place in the state.

Yep. Not much goes on in the Farmville area off the college campuses other than cow mooing and pooping. Perhaps the most appropriately named place in the state.
I went to the Confederate Cemetery at Farmville at sunrise that same day. High Bridge was next. Sailor's Creek was last. High Bridge is a gem.

I went to the Confederate Cemetery at Farmville at sunrise that same day. High Bridge was next. Sailor's Creek was last. High Bridge is a gem.

Appomattox is the closest site to me and quite frankly, the one I know the least about. Since Lee surrendered there, I really have seen it as more of a footnote for whatever reason but I have been across High Bridge. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I used to go to Farmville somewhat regularly as I knew a fair number of people who went to Longwood or Hampden-Sydney and Farmville was an okay airport to fly into when I was just trying to rack up some flight hours. A friend was a semi-pro mountain biker and I would sometimes ride the trails with him.

As far as the Civil War goes, Antietam is probably my favorite one to visit but Gettysburg is the Holy Grail. I don't think you can ever really truly appreciate the importance of Little Round Top until you have stood on top of it. Even from the main battlefield it doesn't even look that important but standing on it you really can see why it made all the difference in the world to control.

Appomattox is the closest site to me and quite frankly, the one I know the least about.
I live in southeast Harris County. Sabine Pass and Galveston are the closest battle sites to me. The next closest major battle site to me is Port Hudson, just northwest of Baton Rouge.

I have a friend who was a long time resident of Richmond but now lives in WV. His ancestors owned a place on the Cumberland County side of High Bridge. It served as a hospital late in the war. A convalescing Union soldier made a small cherrywood table in gratitude for his care by the family there. My friend in WV has the table.

Forum List

Back