Sailor's Creek

bdtex

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2013
IMG_20220610_092958124_HDR.jpg

On April 6,1865, the largest land battle in the Appomattox Campaign happened at Sailor's Creek, VA. I visited the battlefield in June 2022. It is a state park. Not all of the battlefield was preserved within the boundaries of the state park. What wasn't preserved is still mostly farmland like it was in 1865.

Confederate losses were high and a lot of them were captured along with supplies. There are 2-3 really good and relatively short NPS videos about the battle on YouTube.

I haven’t been to Sailors Creek but I visited Petersburg, 5 Forks and Appomattox that were nearby

I haven’t been to Sailors Creek but I visited Petersburg, 5 Forks and Appomattox that were nearby
I visited Lynchburg and Appomattox CH in January 2015 and Petersburg, Five Forks, Gaines' Mill and Cold Harbor in January 2016.

I visited Lynchburg and Appomattox CH in January 2015 and Petersburg, Five Forks, Gaines' Mill and Cold Harbor in January 2016.
I used to visit Civil War and Revolutionary battlefields with my son. We probably visited 20 or so.
Haven‘t been since before COVID though

I used to visit Civil War and Revolutionary battlefields with my son. We probably visited 20 or so.
Haven‘t been since before COVID though
Beginning in the latter half of 2020, even though the Visitor Centers may have been closed or under restricted occupancy, the battlefields and hotels were open. I went to Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka and Brice's Crossroads in October 2020.

Beginning in the latter half of 2020, even though the Visitor Centers may have been closed or under restricted occupancy, the battlefields and hotels were open.
We managed to visit most of the major battlefields east of the Mississippi

We managed to visit most of the major battlefields east of the Mississippi
I didn't visit any Eastern Theater battlefields from 2017-2020. I visited South Mountain, Harpers Ferry and Sharpsburg in October 2021. In June 2022, I also visited High Bridge and Williamsburg. Last October I visited Winchester, Cedar Creek and New Market.

I didn't visit any Eastern Theater battlefields from 2017-2020. I visited South Mountain, Harpers Ferry and Sharpsburg in October 2021. In June 2022, I also visited High Bridge and Williamsburg. Last October I visited Winchester, Cedar Creek and New Market.

I enjoyed Harpers Ferry

Invade the U.S. without documentation and they let you go. Pick up a minie ball on federal property and they will see your sorry ass in prison. Just sayin.
I think you can pick them up, there are just signs against metal detectors

Forum List

Back