Hello to everyone!

Oder ist "perdu" Ihnen recht? Klar doch! Jetzt sind wir "perdu"! :)

Du kannst mich ruhig duzen, aber ich würde mich gerne in einem amerikanischen Forum in englischer Sprache unterhalten.

Das englische "You" wäre mir am angenehmsten.

I would like to communicate in English in this forum.

Es gibt hier eine kleine Nische für deutschsprachige Mitglieder dieses Forums:

Dort ist der sog. "Thread" momentan etwas verstaubt, da ich öfters andersweitig beschäftigt bist, aber schau doch Mal vorbei, vielleicht wird's Dir gefallen. Bitte, ein Putztuch mitbringen!

Es gibt auch andere hier im USMB, die das Land des Bieres, des Brotes und des Schweines ihr Zuhause nennen, also, lass es Dir gutgehen!

Danke Dir!
Thank you!

PS. Studierst Du Kunst, vielleicht?

I am an electrical engineer and I want to improve my English skills in this forum and learn more about the USA.

If anybody in his forum helps me in this regard (correcting my mistakes etc), then I will be very grateful for that.
I am also an EE...a shocking person...so to speak...an electrifying personality...a magnetic entity subject to induction, repulsion and rotating fields. I spent the better years of my life in college working toward the M.S.E.E. degree that enables me to baffle with BS.

Being critical of the writings of others is not a problem for me. Part of my job is to proof read and dissect various papers and contract documents in search of the slightest error in the King's English lest a myriad of lawyers be assigned later to litigate the confusion caused by simple ignorance. I peruse them not only for spelling and grammar, but also regarding logic and validity of stated conclusions.

Just remember...ignorance means you just don't know something yet. Stupidity means you never will. I am quite ignorant of many, many things. I need a bigger hard drive.

One thing I do not understand is why your reputation power did not go up when I gave you positive rep a while back. You should have gained a couple of points...I think.

We will talk later.

Cheers!

Du kannst mich ruhig duzen, aber ich würde mich gerne in einem amerikanischen Forum in englischer Sprache unterhalten.

Dort ist der sog. "Thread" momentan etwas verstaubt, da ich öfters andersweitig beschäftigt bist, aber schau doch Mal vorbei, vielleicht wird's Dir gefallen. Bitte, ein Putztuch mitbringen!

Es gibt auch andere hier im USMB, die das Land des Bieres, des Brotes und des Schweines ihr Zuhause nennen, also, lass es Dir gutgehen!

Danke Dir!
Thank you!

I am an electrical engineer and I want to improve my English skills in this forum and learn more about the USA.

If anybody in his forum helps me in this regard (correcting my mistakes etc), then I will be very grateful for that.

Got it!! English it will be, no problem. Glad you are on board, and have fun.

Still, do stop by the German alcove now and again just to get a little feeling of home.

:)

Danke Dir!
Thank you!

I am also an EE...a shocking person...so to speak...an electrifying personality...a magnetic entity subject to induction, repulsion and rotating fields. I spent the better years of my life in college working toward the M.S.E.E. degree that enables me to baffle with BS.

Being critical of the writings of others is not a problem for me. Part of my job is to proof read and dissect various papers and contract documents in search of the slightest error in the King's English lest a myriad of lawyers be assigned later to litigate the confusion caused by simple ignorance. I peruse them not only for spelling and grammar, but also regarding logic and validity of stated conclusions.

Just remember...ignorance means you just don't know something yet. Stupidity means you never will. I am quite ignorant of many, many things. I need a bigger hard drive.

One thing I do not understand is why your reputation power did not go up when I gave you positive rep a while back. You should have gained a couple of points...I think.

We will talk later.

Cheers!

[MENTION=19762]asaratis[/MENTION]

the bolded: outstanding! Like like like like...

02d2a50cef8acd3ec136777e8c9c1ec1.jpg

Danke Dir!
Thank you!

Greetings to a fellow Electrical Engineer.. I spent some great time working in Kiel for a Division of Siemens.. You'll probably be able to help correct some English of the American posters. Enjoy..

Hello! =) Nice to be here aswell, looking forward for some great discussions.

Welcome to PeterH.. It's great to have so many new posters for USMB..

You Know ... You deserve your very OWN welcome thread -- if you want one..
You'll find a "New Thread" button on the Introduce Yourself Forum page.
Remember to give it a title.. It's good practice for learning how to create threads..

Have Fun...

You seem to be doing great, so far.......as for me.....ich spreken deutch nicht gut......:)

(not to good in the spelling either!)

As I recall, scientific German can generate words whose length exceeds the width of the page. instead of using a string of adjectives separated by commas, they are simply added to the word.

When I was working in Kiel, I asked my hosts what this huge word was scrawled on the backwall of the cafeteria.. Had to be 30 characters.. They all argued amongst themselves and then told me

It's the place where we can tell management our ideas about the food.

Somewhere on that wall was a "suggestion box".. :eusa_angel:

Fußbodenschleifmaschinenverleih

Indeed, not very scrabble-istic, what?

Germans make HUGE words by just simply slamming smaller ones together.

Fußboden = Floor (wooden floor)
Schleifmaschine = Sanding Machine
Verleih = Rental

That's where you go to rent a sanding machine to do your hard wood floors!!

We call it a TV

They used to call it:

Fernsehapparat

Fernseh = able to see far into the distance
Apparat = apparatus, machine.

A machine that allows you to see things far away.

Today, they are more conservative:

Fernseher.

Thing that can see far.

But my favorite of ALL time is:

Staubsaugerschmutzbeutelbehälter.

9 syllables, 32 letters...

Staub= dust
Sauger = sucker

Staubsauger = Dustsucker = Vacuum Cleaner

Schmutz = dirt
beutel = bag

Schmutzbeutel = dirtbag

Behälter = container

A "Staubsaugerschmutzbeutelbehälter" is the little compartment inside your Vacuum-Cleaner that holds the dirt bag!

:)

Last edited:
As I recall, scientific German can generate words whose length exceeds the width of the page. instead of using a string of adjectives separated by commas, they are simply added to the word.

It is not the scientific German that generates these long words, it is rather the bureaucratic German.

Scientists prefer a plain language, they often separate long composed words, using dashes.

The Fa. Siemens had even invented own grammar rules and separated long words into their original components.

The long word in the picture can be written (according to the new grammar rules) as follows:

Fußboden-Schleifmaschinen-Verleih

And if this is still to difficult, you can even go further:

Fuß-Boden-Schleif-Maschinen-Verleih

But most Germans do not have any problems with such big words.

Last edited:

It is not the scientific German that generates these long words, it is rather the bureaucratic German.

Scientists prefer a plain language, they often separate long composed words, using dashes.

The Fa. Siemens had even invented own grammar rules and separated long words into their original components.

The long word in the picture can be written (according to the new grammar rules) as follows:

Fußboden-Schleifmaschinen-Verleih

And if this is still to difficult, you can even go further:

Fuß-Boden-Schleif-Maschinen-Verleih

But most Germans do not have any problems with such big words.

Indeed.

But rarely do we see them hyphenated in this way, at least not in mainstream life.

Forum List

Back