Hello from the treestand

Its about tree stand time, less than a month to shake the dust of the stick and string

Yeah, just broke the drop away rest on my new(er) Mathews. I decided to move to a 5 pin sight and a 'biscuit, still sighting the stupid thing in...

ran a pro shop, have been pro staff for others 15+ years. don't like Whisker biscuits-in wet cold conditions they can freeze up and rip off your vanes

me-TT "Shaky Hunter" with a Carter release. Hoyt bows. Single pin sight-don't like lots of stuff cluttering up my sight window

I am mostly Mathews and self-bows that I make myself for Trad archery. Have never settled on a favorite release, sight, or arrow (Although Victory is a new favorite due to price), and if Muzzy quit making broadheads I might mourn an entire season.

I am thinking of making a crossbow, I am dangerous when I start thinking.

crossbows are big in ohio. I am a big fan of Excalibur-its the best by far but 10 Point isn't bad for compound bows.
the hardest part of making a tracked xbow is making the track perfectly straight. the triggers are a problem as well but if you do a trackless bow, its much easier

good luck

Crossbows are selling like funnelcakes at a fat farm.

Your expertise is so noted! :)

I am aging and moved up to a faster compound bow, then I got some old mans disease... I am about 90% back, but walking out thru the woods with a climbing stand and a total of about 35lbs of kit gets more challenging every year. I restarted shooting a couple of arrows every half hour.

As we age, we hold onto what we can.

I practice some at 50 yards, 90m is crazy! :)
Do you visit the ******* **** Forum?

Thanks. I thought mention of other Forums was verboten here?

It depends on the context. Mentioning is ok, linking to or promoting is not.

Please don't do that again, Mike.

Did I not redact sufficiently?

Redaction complete.

You did fine, saved me an edit.

You were trained well at the other place. :lol:

Its about tree stand time, less than a month to shake the dust of the stick and string

Yeah, just broke the drop away rest on my new(er) Mathews. I decided to move to a 5 pin sight and a 'biscuit, still sighting the stupid thing in...

I have a drop away on one bow and a Whisker Biscuit on the other. I tried to drop away at the urging of several friends but to be honest I still prefer the old reliable Whisker Biscuit

Yeah, the Biscuit, like an old 5 pin sight (as opposed to the slider) just has that work every time feel.

I am aging and moved up to a faster compound bow, then I got some old mans disease... I am about 90% back, but walking out thru the woods with a climbing stand and a total of about 35lbs of kit gets more challenging every year. I restarted shooting a couple of arrows every half hour.

As we age, we hold onto what we can.

I practice some at 50 yards, 90m is crazy! :)
Do you visit the ******* **** Forum?

Thanks. I thought mention of other Forums was verboten here?

It depends on the context. Mentioning is ok, linking to or promoting is not.

Please don't do that again, Mike.

Did I not redact sufficiently?

Redaction complete.

You did fine, saved me an edit.

You were trained well at the other place. :lol:

I work with the Government, it takes about 5 years to realize that Policy is not logical.

Back in the 70s I won a Barnett Commando crossbow at a Lancaster shoot. I don't think they make them anymore but it is a beautiful thing to behold. Blackened aluminum and brass. But functionally it was a surprising disappointment. It is cocked by breaking in half like a break-to-cock air gun -- but it's much harder to do than the ordinary stirrup cocking, And at 150 pounds the effective range is surprisingly limited. The bolt begins a dramatic drop at about 20 yards and if you shoot high-angle to compensate the bolt bounces off a polyfoam target at 35 yards.

I shot with it once and sold it for $50. It's the only crossbow I've ever shot so I don't know how it compares with any others.

Back in the 70s I won a Barnett Commando crossbow at a Lancaster shoot. I don't think they make them anymore but it is a beautiful thing to behold. Blackened aluminum and brass. But functionally it was a surprising disappointment. It is cocked by breaking in half like a break-to-cock air gun -- but it's much harder to do than the ordinary stirrup cocking, And at 150 pounds the effective range is surprisingly limited. The bolt begins a dramatic drop at about 20 yards and if you shoot high-angle to compensate the bolt bounces off a polyfoam target at 35 yards.

I shot with it once and sold it for $50. It's the only crossbow I've ever shot so I don't know how it compares with any others.

I own a Barnett and a Wham-O (Yeah really!). They work, but except for hunting turkeys out east they are toys compared to real archery. One day I will have to go there, but this is not that day. ;)

Hello everybody.

Where to begin... I am a father with young kids, born again only by the Grace of God, yes I really do have a Physics degree, I work R&D, archer and hunter, I love fast cars and motorcycles... I used to be an ardent Republican, I continue to be an ardent Conservative.

This ain't my first Forum, but it may be my second. I note that some of my favorite people are here that I had wondered if I would ever see again.

It will take me a while to spin up.

I will apologize to the Liberals in advance.

Welcome to USMB, Physics Hunter. Have a good time here. No need to apologize. I never spit out more than one Conservative a day after chewing his arguments to pieces. We will get along just fine!!!

I still have one and used it for bow fishing when wading. Later, I replaced the 175 pound prod with 100 pound one which made it a nice target rig in my basement. the very short power stroke made it not all that potent despite the high poundage. My 150 pound Excalibur-with a far longer stroke is accurate for deer hunting up to about 45 yards though when I hunted often, I never took a shot passed 35 yards even though in target competitions with the same bow (IBO 3D) I was shooting 50 yard targets routinely (foam animals don't move)

Hello everybody.

Where to begin... I am a father with young kids, born again only by the Grace of God, yes I really do have a Physics degree, I work R&D, archer and hunter, I love fast cars and motorcycles... I used to be an ardent Republican, I continue to be an ardent Conservative.

This ain't my first Forum, but it may be my second. I note that some of my favorite people are here that I had wondered if I would ever see again.

Welcome to USMB, Physics Hunter. Have a good time here. No need to apologize. I never spit out more than one Conservative a day after chewing his arguments to pieces. We will get along just fine!!!

What's your record like when you are not sleeping? ;)

I still have one and used it for bow fishing when wading. Later, I replaced the 175 pound prod with 100 pound one which made it a nice target rig in my basement. the very short power stroke made it not all that potent despite the high poundage. My 150 pound Excalibur-with a far longer stroke is accurate for deer hunting up to about 45 yards though when I hunted often, I never took a shot passed 35 yards even though in target competitions with the same bow (IBO 3D) I was shooting 50 yard targets routinely (foam animals don't move)

Most importantly, foam animals don't drop to load their legs...

Hello everybody.

Pretty damned impressive, even if I do say so myelf. Now, I need to get a toothpick to clean out the remains of the last con I chewed-up for breakfast.

There, much better. :D

Hello everybody.

There are more of us who have absconded from other forums recently.

Hello everybody.

Pretty damned impressive, even if I do say so myelf. Now, I need to get a toothpick to clean out the remains of the last con I chewed-up for breakfast.

As you can see we have a lot of liberals here who are off their meds.

Hello everybody.

Interesting. But being a hunter, I do not want to play the part of the wholly mammoth herded into the box canyon.

Hello everybody.

Rotator Cuffs do not react well to patting one's own back.

Hello everybody.

Interesting. But being a hunter, I do not want to play the part of the wholly mammoth herded into the box canyon.

Well it's marginally better than being in a Kim-Jong-un dungeon.

Hello everybody.

Well it's marginally better than being in a Kim-Jong-un dungeon.

Noted, you are interesting.

Hello everybody.

As you can see we have a lot of liberals here who are off their meds.

Yes, and I am beginning to understand many other things.

It is an interesting conundrum, engage the insane or...

As long as the Libs don't start playing the dying puppy game that they used to kill the last place I inhabited.

I'm not sure what the dying puppy game is but when I deal with libs I find the "rubbing the puppy's nose in the mess he made" game to be very useful.

See, as Elwood Blues noted, "I'm on a mission from God" to set liberals back onto the path of being guided by evidence and reason in how they see the world, and thus turn them into reality-based conservatives.

Forum List

Back