Hello from the treestand

Hello everybody.

Where to begin... I am a father with young kids, born again only by the Grace of God, yes I really do have a Physics degree, I work R&D, archer and hunter, I love fast cars and motorcycles... I used to be an ardent Republican, I continue to be an ardent Conservative.

This ain't my first Forum, but it may be my second. I note that some of my favorite people are here that I had wondered if I would ever see again.

It will take me a while to spin up.

I will apologize to the Liberals in advance.

Welcome to USMB, Physics Hunter. Have a good time here. No need to apologize. I never spit out more than one Conservative a day after chewing his arguments to pieces. We will get along just fine!!!

What's your record like when you are not sleeping? ;)

Pretty damned impressive, even if I do say so myelf. Now, I need to get a toothpick to clean out the remains of the last con I chewed-up for breakfast.

There, much better. :D
You're in his wheelhouse right now. The quick quip, the play of words, and the disdain for liberals mask his shallow grasp of the real issues. You will do quite well if you focus on those, but don't follow him down the rabbit hole...

Last edited:
Hello everybody.

Where to begin... I am a father with young kids, born again only by the Grace of God, yes I really do have a Physics degree, I work R&D, archer and hunter, I love fast cars and motorcycles... I used to be an ardent Republican, I continue to be an ardent Conservative.

This ain't my first Forum, but it may be my second. I note that some of my favorite people are here that I had wondered if I would ever see again.

It will take me a while to spin up.

I will apologize to the Liberals in advance.

Welcome to USMB, Physics Hunter. Have a good time here. No need to apologize. I never spit out more than one Conservative a day after chewing his arguments to pieces. We will get along just fine!!!

What's your record like when you are not sleeping? ;)

Pretty damned impressive, even if I do say so myelf. Now, I need to get a toothpick to clean out the remains of the last con I chewed-up for breakfast.

There, much better. :D
You're in his wheelhouse right now. The quick quip, the play of words, and the disdain for liberals mask his shallow grasp of the real issues. You will do quite well if you focus on those, but don't follow him down the rabbit hole...

Egads! I'm unmasked... :lmao:

WELCOME ABOARD MATEY!

h7B1E288E

very nice...LOL!

My cousin is a big-time white tail hunter. It is the ONLY thing he ever thinks or talks about. He comes over to visit me, and puts hunting shows on the television and barely says two words to me while he is "visiting." He is obsessed!!!! :rolleyes-41:

My cousin is a big-time white tail hunter. It is the ONLY thing he ever thinks or talks about. He comes over to visit me, and puts hunting shows on the television and barely says two words to me while he is "visiting." He is obsessed!!!! :rolleyes-41:

i used to be like that

but after forty or fifty arrowed deer

it settles down

a bit

i used to be like that

it settles down

a bit

"A bit." Yeah, I figured. Lol! :lol:

i used to be like that

it settles down

a bit

:thup:

Jumper is good eating.

i used to be like that

it settles down

a bit

Jumper is good eating.

I don't know what "jumper" is, but I have yet to get some back straps from the bastard! :biggrin: I've had venison steak, burger and sausage, but I've never had back strap and everyone says it's the most delicious part. I like to make venison meatballs and add some hamburger or pork to them for the fat content, and they are delicious!

For my baby baby brother, it is duck and turkey. I went duck hunting with him once but he's too hard core. Way too early, way too cold and for way too long. Also, he got snippy when I opened a book, lol.

Yep, Duck is fun hunting and great eating. Opening the book and the subsequent rustling of the pages can be problematic. :D Who knows what else will start rustling then and off the ducks go...into the wild blue yonder.

Geese, now they take work. They don't take kindly to being shot at and they're smart enough to really work together.

i used to be like that

it settles down

a bit

Jumper is good eating.

I don't know what "jumper" is, but I have yet to get some back straps from the bastard! :biggrin: I've had venison steak, burger and sausage, but I've never had back strap and everyone says it's the most delicious part. I like to make venison meatballs and add some hamburger or pork to them for the fat content, and they are delicious!

Yep, you've got it figured out.

When I was growing up, we had neighbors (Cree Indian) who would make young first year deer (jumper) into pemmican and jerky.

food_meat_dry_pemmican.jpg

All the vehicles were outside and the garage was for hanging and cooling. The inside looked a lot like this during deer season.

Man, oh man oh man, it was heaven. I still eat venison but that stuff was something.

Last edited:
I like white tail also, or any tail for that matter...

Yep, Duck is fun hunting and great eating. Opening the book and the subsequent rustling of the pages can be problematic. :D Who knows what else will start rustling then and off the ducks go...into the wild blue yonder.

Geese, now they take work. They don't take kindly to being shot at and they're smart enough to really work together.

i used to be like that

it settles down

a bit

Jumper is good eating.

When I was growing up, we had neighbors (Cree Indian) who would make young first year deer (jumper) into pemmican and jerky.

All the vehicles were outside and the garage was for hanging and cooling. The inside looked a lot like this during deer season.

Man, oh man oh man, it was heaven. I still eat venison but that stuff was something.

I have a dehydrator for jerky, yum...

i used to be like that

it settles down

a bit

Jumper is good eating.

I've never had the jerky either. I'm not a big fan of beef jerky though. :D It's too chewy!

For my baby baby brother, it is duck and turkey. I went duck hunting with him once but he's too hard core. Way too early, way too cold and for way too long. Also, he got snippy when I opened a book, lol.

I was interested in going before, but I've since changed my mind. Lol.

Just ask ahead about how it will be. My dad was fun to duck hunt with. Even he wont go hunting with the youngest son anymore.

The venison: get some backstrap; just like you mix it w beef, try it w italian sausage in a spaghetti; great cooked down in brown gravy over rice; sausage patties are better than links.

Crossbows are selling like funnelcakes at a fat farm.

Your expertise is so noted! :)
Back in the 70s I won a Barnett Commando crossbow at a Lancaster shoot. I don't think they make them anymore but it is a beautiful thing to behold. Blackened aluminum and brass. But functionally it was a surprising disappointment. It is cocked by breaking in half like a break-to-cock air gun -- but it's much harder to do than the ordinary stirrup cocking, And at 150 pounds the effective range is surprisingly limited. The bolt begins a dramatic drop at about 20 yards and if you shoot high-angle to compensate the bolt bounces off a polyfoam target at 35 yards.

I shot with it once and sold it for $50. It's the only crossbow I've ever shot so I don't know how it compares with any others.

Back in the late '90s Barnett were forced into admitting by Her Majesty's Customs & Excise that they were exporting the Commando crossbow to Serbian forces who were using the crossbow as a counter-sniper and ambush weapon against Kosovan paramilitaries. But no charges were brought because crossbows under British law are classed as sporting goods, not weapons.

Barnett Exporting To Serb Forces - Guardian (1999)

Back in the late '90s Barnett were forced into admitting by Her Majesty's Customs & Excise that they were exporting the Commando crossbow to Serbian forces who were using the crossbow as a counter-sniper and ambush weapon against Kosovan paramilitaries. But no charges were brought because crossbows under British law are classed as sporting goods, not weapons.

Barnett Exporting To Serb Forces - Guardian (1999)

Interesting!

But based on my experience with that crossbow one would need to be very close for it to be effective as a sniper weapon.

Forum List

Back