Has Your Views Been Altered?

Duped

Apr 19, 2012
I was wondering if any of your political views have been altered by discourse on this forum? If anything, mine are recalcitrant. I am clearing my rather large ignore list for this one - so let the neg reps fly; here is your chance. :eek: :eusa_pray:

I was wondering if any of your political views have been altered by discourse on this forum? If anything, mine are recalcitrant. I am clearing my rather large ignore list for this one - so let the neg reps fly; here is your chance. :eek: :eusa_pray:

I f you mean even more steadfast and convinced in my belief that progressives are loons?Then yes.

I think in most cases people need to experience something that changes THEIR lives in order to change long held beliefs.

My political beliefs have definitely changed over the last six or seven years. But it had nothing to do with being convinced of something by someone else.

I f you mean even more steadfast and convinced in my belief that progressives are loons?Then yes.

I think in most cases people need to experience something that changes THEIR lives in order to change long held beliefs.

My political beliefs have definitely changed over the last six or seven years. But it had nothing to do with being convinced of something by someone else.
I'm interested if any assertions, or articulations have altered anyones perspective through this forum. Sometimes an argument can compel someone to rethink their position on a topic/political belief, and after further insight one may evolve their belief, and actually reverse it. Progresssives, and conservatives are diametrically opposed, so I would not expect that they would even consider the other's points, but there are many topics that are possible to persuasion to the middle, and beyond. has that happened here?

I have clarified my thinking by working through the abominations of the southern white euro-centric evangelical assertions that are not actually American or Christian in principle.

I'm interested if any assertions, or articulations have altered anyones perspective through this forum. Sometimes an argument can compel someone to rethink their position on a topic/political belief, and after further insight one may evolve their belief, and actually reverse it. Progresssives, and conservatives are diametrically opposed, so I would not expect that they would even consider the other's points, but there are many topics that are possible to persuasion to the middle, and beyond. has that happened here?

I will say they may have made me look at something in a slightly different way.
Or they may have pointed out a side of something I hadn't considered.
But no,nothing that would change my overall view.

I will say they may have made me look at something in a slightly different way.
Or they may have pointed out a side of something I hadn't considered.
But no,nothing that would change my overall view.
I appreciate that.

Not on this board, although researching and arguing a position often strengthens it.

On another board, I became friends with a former Marine who left the service because he was gay. Other Marines he'd served with were on the same board, and confirmed that he was a good Marine and good at his MOS (radiocryptography, I believe). [MENTION=24388]asterism[/MENTION] is one of those Marines and can confirm.

Until then, I was a firm supporter of DADT. But talking with John -- and I've told him this -- made me realize that people who want to serve, and are capable of serving this nation, can and should.

I'm glad DADT was repealed. I believe the trained and experienced troops retained can only further strengthen the military.

Last edited:
I have learned a lot on this board. Even in heated arguments, I have been able to see where the other side is coming from on many issues

Not on this board, although researching and arguing a position often strengthens it.

On another board, I became friends with a former Marine who left the service because he was gay. Other Marines he'd served with were on the same board, and confirmed that he was a good Marine and good at his MOS (radiocryptography, I believe). [MENTION=19762]asaratis[/MENTION] is one of those Marines and can confirm.

Until then, I was a firm supporter of DADT. But talking with John -- and I've told him this -- made me realize that people who want to serve, and are capable of serving this nation, can and should.

I'm glad DADT was repealed. I believe the trained and experienced troops retained can only further strengthen the military.
There is no shortfall in people who want to serve. having been a Marine, I would say that gays should be in all gay units as they make many others uncomfortable. One needs to focus on the mission, and not on a fellow soilders intentions.
I appreciate your response. From the looks vs. responses to this thred it seems thus far that most are here to reinforce their beliefs, or just vent. I honestly tried repetedly to see why libs have such liberal thinking, but I don't believe they have the abilities to articulate them, or at least how they can be successfully implemented. Good intention can be championed, but when they are doomed to failure - proven to be by immense empirical data, there is an impass of communication. I guess no one want to believe that their beliefs are wrong. Example: all children on earth should be given a healthy diet, and never go hungry. We all can agree to that, but we cannot all agree that it is impossible.

On another board, I became friends with a former Marine who left the service because he was gay. Other Marines he'd served with were on the same board, and confirmed that he was a good Marine and good at his MOS (radiocryptography, I believe). [MENTION=19762]asaratis[/MENTION] is one of those Marines and can confirm.

There is no shortfall in people who want to serve. having been a Marine, I would say that gays should be in all gay units as they make many others uncomfortable.
That same argument was made for blacks and women. Both are successfully integrated now. I see no reason why open gays cannot serve alongside straights. Besides -- some folks we just KNEW were gay. We worked with them anyway.

Further, the gay members know most of their fellow unit members are straight. It's not like they're going to hit on them. That way lies blanket parties.
One needs to focus on the mission, and not on a fellow soilders intentions.
One could say the same about coed units.

When I was stationed at Scott AFB in IL, the Civil Engineering unit had deployed to Kosovo several years before I was assigned. Due to a lack of equipment, the deployed CO asked everybody if they could handle coed showers. No one objected, and there were no incidents. And if you remember Harvest Falcon showers, not much privacy. Apparently, no one worried about their fellow Airman's intentions. Everybody focused on the mission.
I appreciate your response. From the looks vs. responses to this thred it seems thus far that most are here to reinforce their beliefs, or just vent. I honestly tried repetedly to see why libs have such liberal thinking, but I don't believe they have the abilities to articulate them, or at least how they can be successfully implemented. Good intention can be championed, but when they are doomed to failure - proven to be by immense empirical data, there is an impass of communication. I guess no one want to believe that their beliefs are wrong. Example: all children on earth should be given a healthy diet, and never go hungry. We all can agree to that, but we cannot all agree that it is impossible.
I agree that the left has a hard time articulating the "why" of their views. Mostly, it seems to stem from emotion...a notion of fairness, anger, and not a small amount of hatred. Further, as you say, history shows that much of what they want is simply unworkable, or downright bloody.

As I say: Those who fail to learn from history as doomed to vote Democrat.

Negative...
I am not and have never claimed to be a Marine. I would like to know your source of this misconception.

[MENTION=23991]@daveman[/MENTION]
My apologies. Got the username wrong. Was talking about asterism. :redface:

I've edited the post. Sorry for the confusion.

There is no shortfall in people who want to serve. having been a Marine, I would say that gays should be in all gay units as they make many others uncomfortable. One needs to focus on the mission, and not on a fellow soilders intentions.

You have failed to understand what "libs" are telling you....and in your arrogant and ignorant way, you see that as a deficiency on their part.

Try harder.

Negative...
I am not and have never claimed to be a Marine. I would like to know your source of this misconception.

[MENTION=23991]@daveman[/MENTION]
My apologies. Got the username wrong. Was talking about asterism. :redface:

I've edited the post. Sorry for the confusion.
I have deleted mine. Thanks!

We disagree. I would question how well integration has worked. I don't feel comfortable around faggots so I chose not to interact with them. I respect their right to choose how to live their lives, but I don't respect homosexuality as you can tell. They like to flirt with you, which is disrespect. I think they are as perverted as someone who fucks a pig. I don't like to be around drunks, or a myriad of others. This argument should be in the military forum so I'll leave it be.
I'm just really interested in whether or not conversation has much influence. Our beliefs are probably formulated at an early age, and are hard to change; they become a part of our identity, which is difficult to capitualate.

I learned long ago that there's no hope for the dnc and am beginning to wonder if the rnc can ever be trusted.

No one that supports a pol party is to be fully trusted, since they can't see the evils done. or at least refuse too and care.

example; obama blew up the minor son of a wanted terrorist, liberals don't care at all, but Bush using waterboarding evil men was bad and headline news.

You have failed to understand what "libs" are telling you....and in your arrogant and ignorant way, you see that as a deficiency on their part.

Try harder.
That is the problem - libs telling me. They need to explain how their beliefs can be executed with a benefit cost analysis; not just preach ideology - do you try to understand conservatism? Does it's arguments impact you at all, or does your liberal shielding block it's attempts.

I learned long ago that there's no hope for the dnc and am beginning to wonder if the rnc can ever be trusted.

No one that supports a pol party is to be fully trusted, since they can't see the evils done. or at least refuse too and care.

example; obama blew up the minor son of a wanted terrorist, liberals don't care at all, but Bush using waterboarding evil men was bad and headline news.
Great point! Liberals give a pass to other liberals - no doubt. The two party system leaves alot to be desired. The RNC is not conservative enough, and the DNC is outlandish.

Try harder.
That is the problem - libs telling me. They need to explain how their beliefs can be executed with a benefit cost analysis; not just preach ideology - do you try to understand conservatism? Does it's arguments impact you at all, or does your liberal shielding block it's attempts.

I understand conservatism just fine.

Duped-Based on your responses you are not open to other views. I have on occasion given another view some serious consideration thanks to some more moderate thinking individuals who did not resort to immediate insults. Smart, considerate people on either side are worth listening to. However, like you, I have not changed my core beliefs or what is important to me. If someone takes the time to listen to me, I'll take the time to listen to them.

Forum List

Back