Has "It's the Culture, Stupid" replaced "It's the Economy, Stupid"?

Fareed Zakaria has a new book out that proposes a fundamental change in Americans' priorities, and (I don't know if he meant to do this) also goes a long way in explaining the rise and staying power of the MAGA movement.

In short, he believes that the cultural issues -- particularly (a) immigration/the border and (b) gender, are now more primary political movers than the economy used to be.

He also uses a very important term to describe this: "Backlash". I couldn't agree more, and I think it's key. I spent my first few years on this board concentrating on the tactics of the Left and how they'd create a -- wait for it -- backlash, and sure as hell, here we are.

I hadn't really thought about how the cultural issues have replaced the economy as #1, but I think he may be right.

nah, people still vote with their pocket books.

except that's not what our law says.

Our law says they are allowed to stay until their cases are heard.

Period.

Full fucking stop.

There's no reason why Mexico should be forced to babysit our asylum seekers.
Congress can always change the law (as if republicans want to do that). So that physical presence in the US isn't needed to file an asylum claim.

That sounds like a good reason to appoint enough case workers to sort through it, then.

The problem is, if you did that, millions would still get asylum.
Millions that do not deserve to be here

The law is not etched in stone

It can be changed or simply ignored as presidents often do by executive order
Yes, Trump ignored the law. It's why he's on trial in four jurisdictions.

I like it when Presidents don't think they are above the law.

By your own logic, day after the election, Biden can grant a general amnesty and pardon to every illegal alien. Why not?

Here's the practical reality- Mexico isn't playing along with this shit. Trump burned them and they aren't playing along.

Well, if you need to believe that... fine.

Most of the ones currently coming are from Venezuela, which our own government has declared a violator of human rights.

And most of the ones being sent are old fashioned criminals, and are thus not eligible for asylum anyway.

MAGA promoting HATE against mostly everyone who is not them.
divides the country, hurts us in all areas, we need leaders working together, not working for them self's.

And most of the ones being sent are old fashioned criminals, and are thus not eligible for asylum anyway.
Ah, you believe that, don't you?

Next time read the question carefully. Especially the "unfettered" part. Which doesn't describe the actual situation at all.
Marty's use of adjectives can be ignored.

The system isn't unfettered. In fact, Biden has kept way too many Trump things in place, like Title 42.

Ah, you believe that, don't you?

Marty's use of adjectives can be ignored.

The system isn't unfettered. In fact, Biden has kept way too many Trump things in place, like Title 42.

Yes. It makes sense for them to let go of the ones they don't want. Cuba did it with the Mariel boatlift.

Forum List

Back