Hanoi Jane

Jose there was a draft going on back than, alot of people didn't have a choice whether to go or not, I am pretty sure most would have stayed if they had a choice.

Only - 25% (648,500) of total forces in Vietnam were draftees - the rest were volunteers!

(66% of U.S. armed forces members were drafted during WWII)

Draftees accounted for only 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam.

I didn't know that, people make it sound like 70% of the force was drafted.

Now ya know!!!

Jose there was a draft going on back than, alot of people didn't have a choice whether to go or not, I am pretty sure most would have stayed if they had a choice.
I was drafted and defiantly did not want to go.

But you had a choice.

2 years of service

or 3 years in prison of you refused.

No young 19 year old kid like me wanted to go to jail over something called fighting communism.

To some place called Vietnam that I didn't even know where it was?

So we went and made the best of a bad situation.

But I look at it as just a waste of 2 years of my like for nothing. :evil:

I was drafted and defiantly did not want to go.

But you had a choice.

2 years of service

or 3 years in prison of you refused.

No young 19 year old kid like me wanted to go to jail over something called fighting communism.

To some place called Vietnam that I didn't even know where it was?

So we went and made the best of a bad situation.

But I look at it as just a waste of 2 years of my like for nothing. :evil:

First - you were in the minority over there. Only 25% were drafted.

You're in the minority here as well - 91% of veterans of actual combat and 90% of those who saw heavy combat are proud to have served their country. 66% of Viet vets say they would serve again, if called upon. 87% of the public now holds Viet vets in high esteem.

You seem to be in the same boat as cowards like John Kerry and Jane Fonda.

What an achievement.

You're in the minority here as well - 91% of veterans of actual combat and 90% of those who saw heavy combat are proud to have served their country. 66% of Viet vets say they would serve again, if called upon. 87% of the public now holds Viet vets in high esteem.
Just pulling more statistics out of your ass again?? :cuckoo:

Only - 25% (648,500) of total forces in Vietnam were draftees - the rest were volunteers!

No, HG, that's one of the many myths about Vietnam. The majority of those who served were not drafted; we voluntarily enlisted. There's also the myth that most infantry companies were poor, (and primarily Black) draftees. A Typical infantry company was in fact only about 25-30% draftees; of that number only about twelve -13% were Black-this is reflected in the casualty statistics. Many of the draftees were college graduates, drafted after their student deferments expired upon graduation.

Another myth is that the poor did the fighting and dying in Vietnam. Actually, those of middle or upper-middle class backgrounds had a higher casualty rate (possibly due to more of them being in aviation or infantry officer billets, which had a higher rate of casualties).

No, HG, that's one of the many myths about Vietnam. The majority of those who served were not drafted; we voluntarily enlisted. There's also the myth that most infantry companies were poor, (and primarily Black) draftees. A Typical infantry company was in fact only about 25-30% draftees; of that number only about twelve -13% were Black-this is reflected in the casualty statistics. Many of the draftees were college graduates, drafted after their student deferments expired upon graduation.

Another myth is that the poor did the fighting and dying in Vietnam. Actually, those of middle or upper-middle class backgrounds had a higher casualty rate (possibly due to more of them being in aviation or infantry officer billets, which had a higher rate of casualties).

88.4% of the men who actually served in Vietnam were Caucasian, 10.6%
(275,000) were black, 1.0% belonged to other races

86.3% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasian (including Hispanics)
12.5% (7,241) were black.
1.2% belonged to other races

Sunni, See History.com-statistics about the Vietnam War. BTW,I know you were drafted and served in Vietnam. I don't recall your MOS- were you 11B? (I'm about to give Ghook a piece of my mind regarding his remarks about you, and I want to get the facts straight.)

I've posted factual statistics, shitforbrains.

Counter it with your own stats, or stick a dick in your mouth and STFU.

The 25-30% numbers for draftees is highly misleading.

I saw many guys who were drafted and realized that they were going straight to Vietnam as Infantry soldiers during basic training.

Take the Army's offer during basic training to re-enlist for an additional year in order be able to choose your MOS and thus possibly avoid going to Vietnam.

This changed the soldiers status from drafted to enlisted. (volunteer)

Just another example of "figures don't lie; but liars figure". :doubt:

The 25-30% numbers for draftees is highly misleading.

I saw many guys who were drafted and realized that they were going straight to Vietnam as Infantry soldiers during basic training.

Take the Army's offer during basic training to re-enlist for an additional year in order be able to choose your MOS and thus possibly avoid going to Vietnam.

This changed the soldiers status from drafted to enlisted. (volunteer)

Just another example of "figures don't lie; but liars figure". :doubt:

It's only misleading to public-school educated idiots like you who cannot read English.
Facts are facts, douche-nozzle. Nothing misleading about them.
Also - one cannot change one's original status - yuou were either drafted or enlisted - period.

A person could have been drafted, and risen to the rank of General over the next 30 years. What would that make him?

Still a draftee.

Use your brain sometime - much more effective than simply running your mouth about nonsensical bullshit.

You only make yourself look dumber than you probably are.

Lots of us enlisted and didn't want to go. I choose the Navy but would have preferred the Coast Guard. I'd rather have saved lives than taken lives. And btw, the Marines were recieving draftees during the height of fighting.

Lots of us enlisted and didn't want to go. I choose the Navy but would have preferred the Coast Guard. I'd rather have saved lives than taken lives. And btw, the Marines were recieving draftees during the height of fighting.

Then why the hell did you enlist if you didn't want to go?

That's one thing that bugged the shit out of me.

You'd be on a 6-7 month deployment and Sailors would BITCH that they were underway... surely you remember the FTN campaign.

What the fuck would someone join for - as a volunteer - to become an active member in the shipboard FTN brigade?

Sunni, See History.com-statistics about the Vietnam War. BTW,I know you were drafted and served in Vietnam. I don't recall your MOS- were you 11B? (I'm about to give Ghook a piece of my mind regarding his remarks about you, and I want to get the facts straight.)
Thanks

11Bush. 1970-71

Whats 11B do exactly?

You'd think he would have said 11 Bravo...
The MOS also only required 90 in aptititude area CO.
That explains a lot...

Thanks

11Bush. 1970-71

Whats 11B do exactly?

Infantryman. A/K/A "Grunt", "Boonie Rat". My original MOS, when I enlisted, back in '62. "Bush" or "Boonies" is a Vietnam GI term for out in the field in-country, i.e. not at HQ, or "in the rear with the gear".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back