Half of Americans consume almost no healthcare.

Simple question....

Would you rather be in the half that pays for it and needs no healthcare or the half that pays and desperately needs it?

1. "Data released last week by two federal agencies — the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) — stripped the Obama health law of its constitutional and economic justifications, like an emperor with no clothes.

2. The new facts should seal a victory for the parties challenging the Obama health law in the coming U.S. Supreme Court showdown and ignite voter rage next November against the president who lied to get the law passed.

3. The AHRQ report on who consumes healthcare shatters the Obama administration’s constitutional justification for compelling all Americans to buy insurance.

4. ...half of Americans consume almost no healthcare. Fifty percent of the population needs so little healthcare that they accounted for only 2.9 percent of healthcare spending in 2009. Looking only at Americans under age 65, the percentage of nonconsumers is even higher.

5. Why should a majority of the under-65 population be subject to a health insurance requirement when they consume little or no healthcare? That is the reasoning behind the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals decision last August to strike down the Obama health law’s mandatory insurance provision.

6. Judges Frank Hull and Joel Dubina called the Obama administration’s claim that everyone needs healthcare “a convenient sleight of hand,” meaning a lie. This week’s AHRQ report gives the Supreme Court Justices solid evidence to uphold the 11th Circuit ruling.

7. The mandate turns insurers into private tax collectors, collecting mandatory premiums from the healthy to pay for politically popular benefits for the sick.

8. To frighten the nation into passing the Affordable Care Act in 2010, the president falsely claimed that healthcare spending was “spiraling” and “skyrocketing.” He labeled it the domestic crisis of our time.

9. Contrary to the president’s alarming words, healthcare spending was growing more slowly in 2009 and 2010 than at any other time in the last half century. A new report by CMS actuaries shows that spending inched up only 3.8 percent in 2009 and 3.9 percent the next year.

10. Federal actuaries forecast health spending jumping a whopping 8.3 percent in 2014, the year most of the law takes effect, with annual increases thereafter averaging 6.2 percent until 2020. One reason is that people with private health plans will be compelled to prepay for more of their care with insurance, rather than opting for high deductibles and copays."
New Data Strip Obama's Health Law of Its Rationales

You're on, RedBeard...
This C&P is one of your stupidest yet! And that isn't easy.

People aren't usually hospitalized every year, only in emergencies, so most years their use of medical insurance is minimal. But if they were not carrying their insurance and were hospitalized in an emergency they would probably end up homeless from the bills. I know if I didn't have insurance for my back surgury I would have lost everything. Even after insurance paid what it did I had over $11,000 in noncovered expenses, but at least I could afford that without selling my house. Other emergencies cost a lot more than back surgury.

Just like car insurance, we don't carry medical insurance to file a claim every year. I've been driving for 50 years and have never filed a claim. Insurance is there mainly for emergencies.

1. "This C&P is one of your stupidest yet!"
Please, as tempting as it may be, try not to blame your lack of comprehension on my.

2. Insurance is a form of risk management. It is not, nor should be, cradle to grave coverage for folks who would rather not plan for the future.

3. The people of the United States are the most generous in the world.
"Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01

Your demand that your neighbors take care of your needs is unbecoming.

4. I suggest you sit down with a calculator and study post #16 to understand the effects of government handling of medical insurance.

5. "Just like car insurance..."
Now, enlightenment is beginning to impose it's effects on you!
Does your state tell you what forms of coverage you must have on your auto insurance...or are you free to purchase what you feel you need, across state lines?
Think about that..learn to make your own decisions.
You may both learn something...and become a conservative!

6. So, it seems that the invective is on the other foot....

Right now you’re probably trying to brush something off your face…you didn’t realize it was the floor.

Yes, health expenditures are very concentrated. That's why we use an insurance model to finance much of it.

themoreyouknow.jpg

The model for paying for healthcare is similar to the model for paying for education.....only in reverse

In education you use all your educational expenses in your first 25 years and then pay for them the rest of your life

In healthcare, you pay all your life and then use it in your last 25 years

Simple question....

Would you rather be in the half that pays for it and needs no healthcare or the half that pays and desperately needs it?

Why doesn't your concept apply to auto insurance?

It does......I would rather be the one who never needs my auto insurance than the one in a catastrophic accident

Have you ever said to someone.....You are lucky you got to cash in on that accident

Last edited:

But all Americans will need healthcare at some point during their lives, whether or not healthy Americans are using healthcare now or not is irrelevant.

This in no way ‘undermines’ the rationale of the ACA.

Just like car insurance, we don't carry medical insurance to file a claim every year. I've been driving for 50 years and have never filed a claim. Insurance is there mainly for emergencies.
Correct.

Here we have someone using zero percent of this automobile insurance, but he would be a fool to not carry it and he needs it just the same.

Yet another failed thread by the OP, who would be well-advised to comprehensively research the facts of an issue rather than proceed as a blind partisan against an administration she hates, ending up only looking foolish.

1. "Data released last week by two federal agencies — the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) — stripped the Obama health law of its constitutional and economic justifications, like an emperor with no clothes.

2. The new facts should seal a victory for the parties challenging the Obama health law in the coming U.S. Supreme Court showdown and ignite voter rage next November against the president who lied to get the law passed.

3. The AHRQ report on who consumes healthcare shatters the Obama administration’s constitutional justification for compelling all Americans to buy insurance.

4. ...half of Americans consume almost no healthcare. Fifty percent of the population needs so little healthcare that they accounted for only 2.9 percent of healthcare spending in 2009. Looking only at Americans under age 65, the percentage of nonconsumers is even higher.

5. Why should a majority of the under-65 population be subject to a health insurance requirement when they consume little or no healthcare? That is the reasoning behind the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals decision last August to strike down the Obama health law’s mandatory insurance provision.

6. Judges Frank Hull and Joel Dubina called the Obama administration’s claim that everyone needs healthcare “a convenient sleight of hand,” meaning a lie. This week’s AHRQ report gives the Supreme Court Justices solid evidence to uphold the 11th Circuit ruling.

7. The mandate turns insurers into private tax collectors, collecting mandatory premiums from the healthy to pay for politically popular benefits for the sick.

8. To frighten the nation into passing the Affordable Care Act in 2010, the president falsely claimed that healthcare spending was “spiraling” and “skyrocketing.” He labeled it the domestic crisis of our time.

9. Contrary to the president’s alarming words, healthcare spending was growing more slowly in 2009 and 2010 than at any other time in the last half century. A new report by CMS actuaries shows that spending inched up only 3.8 percent in 2009 and 3.9 percent the next year.

10. Federal actuaries forecast health spending jumping a whopping 8.3 percent in 2014, the year most of the law takes effect, with annual increases thereafter averaging 6.2 percent until 2020. One reason is that people with private health plans will be compelled to prepay for more of their care with insurance, rather than opting for high deductibles and copays."
New Data Strip Obama's Health Law of Its Rationales

You're on, RedBeard...

People aren't usually hospitalized every year, only in emergencies, so most years their use of medical insurance is minimal. But if they were not carrying their insurance and were hospitalized in an emergency they would probably end up homeless from the bills. I know if I didn't have insurance for my back surgury I would have lost everything. Even after insurance paid what it did I had over $11,000 in noncovered expenses, but at least I could afford that without selling my house. Other emergencies cost a lot more than back surgury.

Please, as tempting as it may be, try not to blame your lack of comprehension on my.

2. Insurance is a form of risk management. It is not, nor should be, cradle to grave coverage for folks who would rather not plan for the future.

"Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world."

4. I suggest you sit down with a calculator and study post #16 to understand the effects of government handling of medical insurance.

Does your state tell you what forms of coverage you must have on your auto insurance...or are you free to purchase what you feel you need, across state lines?

Right now you’re probably trying to brush something off your face…you didn’t realize it was the floor.
Well, you can't blame your Straw Man on your lack of comprehension! Where exactly did I demand my neighbors take care of my needs? All your writing is pure fantasyland, which is obviously why you C&P!

And yes my state sets minimum insurance requirements for my auto insurance. My only options are if I want greater coverage. In fact not only the state sets minimum requirements on my auto insurance, so does business. If I lease or finance my car I am required by the business that finances or leases the car to purchase collision, fire and theft insurance that the state does not require.

Well, you can't blame your Straw Man on your lack of comprehension! Where exactly did I demand my neighbors take care of my needs? All your writing is pure fantasyland, which is obviously why you C&P!

And yes my state sets minimum insurance requirements for my auto insurance. My only options are if I want greater coverage. In fact not only the state sets minimum requirements on my auto insurance, so does business. If I lease or finance my car I am required by the business that finances or leases the car to purchase collision, fire and theft insurance that the state does not require.

1. "Where exactly did I demand my neighbors take care of my needs?"
Did you require medicare, medicaid, or any other government or state assistance?
If not, you are not the subject of the OP.
ObamaCare is the target of same....surely you understand that.
Do you realize that said programs and ObamaCare are the results of forced contributions by your neighbors?

2. "And yes my state sets minimum insurance requirements for my auto insurance. My only options are if I want greater coverage."
Did you notice that post #16 indicates how government obviates choices for coverage, thereby destroying free market economies of scale?

3. "... which is obviously why you C&P!"
You can bet that I will give careful due consideration to your suggestions as to how I post.

But all Americans will need healthcare at some point during their lives, whether or not healthy Americans are using healthcare now or not is irrelevant.

This in no way ‘undermines’ the rationale of the ACA.

Correct.

Here we have someone using zero percent of this automobile insurance, but he would be a fool to not carry it and he needs it just the same.

Yet another failed thread by the OP, who would be well-advised to comprehensively research the facts of an issue rather than proceed as a blind partisan against an administration she hates, ending up only looking foolish.

1." But all Americans will need healthcare at some point during their lives..."
The unspoken assumption is that all Americans will need healthcare that they cannot pay for themselves.
This is, of course, false.

2. "This in no way ‘undermines’ the rationale of the ACA."
Sure does.

3. " ...someone using zero percent of this automobile insurance, but he would be a fool to not carry it and he needs it just the same."
Of course, this statement pretends that the freedom to select the product, and the responsibility to plan for same does not exist.

This is true only in the limited understanding of a statist.
I commend to you the writing of Tocqueville, specifically:

Alexis de Tocqueville, writing “Democracy in America” in the 1830’s, described “an immense, tutelary power, which takes sole charge of assuring their enjoyment and of watching over their fate.” As he predicted, this power is “absolute, attentive to detail, regular, provident, and gentle,” and it “works willingly for their happiness, but it wishes to be the only agent and the sole arbiter of that happiness. It provides for their security, foresees and supplies their needs, guides them in their principal affairs, directs their industry, regulates their testaments, divides their inheritances.” It is entirely proper to ask, as he asked, whether it can “relieve them entirely of the trouble of thinking and of the effort associated with living.”

And that is exactly the way you see government, isn't it?

Could it be anymore directed towards you, Jonesy?

4. "Yet another failed thread by the OP, who would be well-advised to comprehensively research the facts of an issue rather than proceed as a blind partisan against an administration she hates, ending up only looking foolish."

This is only fun when someone bites it big time....that's where you come in! The above could not be any more a picture of you than if I had written it!

But I would have written a more colorful version.

Last edited:
Simple question....

It does......I would rather be the one who never needs my auto insurance than the one in a catastrophic accident

Have you ever said to someone.....You are lucky you got to cash in on that accident

Would you also enjoy being told exactly what coverage you must have, including replacement for you convertible roof.....assuming you don't have a convertible?

Did you require medicare, medicaid, or any other government or state assistance?

Do you realize that said programs and ObamaCare are the results of forced contributions by your neighbors?

2. "And yes my state sets minimum insurance requirements for my auto insurance. My only options are if I want greater coverage."
Did you notice that post #16 indicates how government obviates choices for coverage, thereby destroying free market economies of scale?

You can bet that I will give careful due consideration to your suggestions as to how I post.
When you C&P you should at least read what you C&P so you don't make such a fool of yourself like you just did!!!

Here are numbers 4 & 5 from your OP, which clearly rule out your now limiting the subject of the OP to Medicare and Medicaid, which you have to be 65 or older to be eligable for!!!

Would you also enjoy being told exactly what coverage you must have, including replacement for you convertible roof.....assuming you don't have a convertible?

Boy....you are my straight man today

I am told how much auto insurance I have to have. I need a certain level of liability insurance, uninsured motorist protection...just to drive

But I am sure glad I have never had to use it in almost 40 years of driving

I think our hospitals and Dr's are the ones forcing the healthcare to explode.....
It's things like...my son had been seeing his dr for a few months and had no insurance. His office visits were $78.00 each time he went. When he got insurance through his new job, his Dr. was billing his insurance $130.00 for each visit. Something pretty stinky about that one......

Do you know how much of the $130.00 billed was allowable under the coverage?

No i don't...and i really don't understand how the insurances work. But it just doesn't seem right that they can charge a different prices than what would be charged without the insurance. But they do and they can get away with it...

They can't charge a different rate for self-pay. It's illegal. Whatever the explanation is is lost somewhere in the tons of stuff you don't understand about how insurance works, and didn't bother to find out in favor of going for "how it seems". Congratulations, you just thought like a liberal.

Why don't you try asking the biller for the doctor's office how it works?

When you C&P you should at least read what you C&P so you don't make such a fool of yourself like you just did!!!

Here are numbers 4 & 5 from your OP, which clearly rule out your now limiting the subject of the OP to Medicare and Medicaid, which you have to be 65 or older to be eligable for!!!

Clean off your specs, old timer....the target of the OP was ObamaCare..

"The new facts should seal a victory for the parties challenging the Obama health law in the coming U.S. Supreme Court showdown and ignite voter rage next November against the president who lied to get the law passed. "

The other data was to show that the scam was designed to tax all ages.

"...you should at least read..."

And you should comprehend...right?

I am told how much auto insurance I have to have. I need a certain level of liability insurance, uninsured motorist protection...just to drive

Did you read post #16?
Do you see auto insurance 'mandating' dozens of requirements?
No?

That's why your analogy fails.

You are as dumb as a bag of doorknobs... So you believe that over half of Americans were not born in a hospital or medical facility?

And obviously THAT'S just for starters.

PC is a dummy! PC is a dummy! PC is a dummy! PC is a dummy! PC is a dummy! PC is a dummy! PC is a dummy! PC is a dummy!

Did you read post #16?
Do you see auto insurance 'mandating' dozens of requirements?
No?

That's why your analogy fails.

No, I don't read your posts

They tend to be rambling cut and pastes and you just take too damn long to reach your point

Forum List

Back