Half of Americans consume almost no healthcare.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "Data released last week by two federal agencies — the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) — stripped the Obama health law of its constitutional and economic justifications, like an emperor with no clothes.

2. The new facts should seal a victory for the parties challenging the Obama health law in the coming U.S. Supreme Court showdown and ignite voter rage next November against the president who lied to get the law passed.

3. The AHRQ report on who consumes healthcare shatters the Obama administration’s constitutional justification for compelling all Americans to buy insurance.

4. ...half of Americans consume almost no healthcare. Fifty percent of the population needs so little healthcare that they accounted for only 2.9 percent of healthcare spending in 2009. Looking only at Americans under age 65, the percentage of nonconsumers is even higher.

5. Why should a majority of the under-65 population be subject to a health insurance requirement when they consume little or no healthcare? That is the reasoning behind the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals decision last August to strike down the Obama health law’s mandatory insurance provision.

6. Judges Frank Hull and Joel Dubina called the Obama administration’s claim that everyone needs healthcare “a convenient sleight of hand,” meaning a lie. This week’s AHRQ report gives the Supreme Court Justices solid evidence to uphold the 11th Circuit ruling.

7. The mandate turns insurers into private tax collectors, collecting mandatory premiums from the healthy to pay for politically popular benefits for the sick.

8. To frighten the nation into passing the Affordable Care Act in 2010, the president falsely claimed that healthcare spending was “spiraling” and “skyrocketing.” He labeled it the domestic crisis of our time.

9. Contrary to the president’s alarming words, healthcare spending was growing more slowly in 2009 and 2010 than at any other time in the last half century. A new report by CMS actuaries shows that spending inched up only 3.8 percent in 2009 and 3.9 percent the next year.

10. Federal actuaries forecast health spending jumping a whopping 8.3 percent in 2014, the year most of the law takes effect, with annual increases thereafter averaging 6.2 percent until 2020. One reason is that people with private health plans will be compelled to prepay for more of their care with insurance, rather than opting for high deductibles and copays."
New Data Strip Obama's Health Law of Its Rationales

You're on, RedBeard...

I'm 62. In the last 5 years, the only medical care I needed was a trip to the eye doctor to remove a foreign body.
$80 for the visit and $18 for a prescription. I paid cash.

Regarding the health care costs claim:

Downgrading Health Care
The administration has warned that soaring health spending threatens the stability of American families and the economy. These doomsday scenarios are untrue. Health care spending is increasing at more moderate rates than in previous decades. Spending increased 10.5 percent in 1970, 13 percent in 1980, and consistently less than 7 percent in each of the last five years, reaching a low of 6.1 percent a year ago. Each year since 1960, food and energy together have taken up a declining share of Americans' expenditures, while housing has taken up a steady share. This has enabled Americans to spend an increasing share of their budgets on another necessity, healthcare. These four necessities together consume the same share of American spending now (55%) as they did in 1960 (53%). As further evidence, Americans are increasing the share of their spending that goes to recreation. Moderate income families can be helped to buy health coverage with vouchers, refundable tax credits, or debit cards. That's a low risk, "fix what's broken" approach.
Increases in healthcare expenditures:
2003 8.6%
2004 6.9%
2005 6.5%
2006 6.7%
2007 6.1%
Compare to 10.5% in 1970 and 13% in 1980
The American Spectator : Downgrading American Medical Care

Now, if you want to actually see an ever-increasing spiral of costs, check out college tuition.

I think our hospitals and Dr's are the ones forcing the healthcare to explode.....
It's things like...my son had been seeing his dr for a few months and had no insurance. His office visits were $78.00 each time he went. When he got insurance through his new job, his Dr. was billing his insurance $130.00 for each visit. Something pretty stinky about that one......

I think our hospitals and Dr's are the ones forcing the healthcare to explode.....
It's things like...my son had been seeing his dr for a few months and had no insurance. His office visits were $78.00 each time he went. When he got insurance through his new job, his Dr. was billing his insurance $130.00 for each visit. Something pretty stinky about that one......

Do you know how much of the $130.00 billed was allowable under the coverage?

That would be one reason. Do you think it will be better when the Dr gets to bill the government? You know... the ones who think its fine to pay $1000 for a screw driver.

Another reason health care is exploding is becasue of the ones not paying a penny for the care they get.

4. ...half of Americans consume almost no healthcare. Fifty percent of the population needs so little healthcare that they accounted for only 2.9 percent of healthcare spending in 2009. Looking only at Americans under age 65, the percentage of nonconsumers is even higher.

So why are health insurance premiums so expensive? Because insurance companies are profit-hungry monstrosities that control the price of healthcare.

So why are health insurance premiums so expensive? Because insurance companies are profit-hungry monstrosities that control the price of healthcare.

Insurance companies work on a very small margin, maybe 6% compared to Apple that runs at over 40%, But, well, bitch all you want about mean old ins. companies. There's an app for that.

I'm so very surprised that The American Spectator would paint such as rosy picture. It's not like The American Spectator is ideologically driven. :cool:

The annual Milliman Medical Index (MMI) measures the total cost of healthcare for a typical family of four covered by a preferred provider plan (PPO). The 2011 MMI cost is $19,393, an increase of $1,319, or 7.3% over 2010. Even though the rate of increase is slowing from prior years, it has taken fewer than nine years for such costs to more than double. In 2002, the cost of healthcare for the typical family of four was $9,235.
http://publications.milliman.com/periodicals/mmi/pdfs/milliman-medical-index-2011.pdf

Wow, did the average income double in during those nine years? No!
As a previously posted graph clearly shows, that for decades the cost of health care has outpaced inflation by huge margins. Sadly, for the last decade or so, worker wages has not kept up wit the CPI. Given all of this, in the future, how is your typical working family going to be able to be able to buy health care insurance? How's a business going to be able to continue contributing to their employees health care plan?

More and more businesses are moving to high deductible health care plans to their employees where the employee. The concept of high deductible plans is to get the consumer to pay closer attention to the costs as the consumer will be paying much of the costs until they hit there deductible threshold.

This is a good move for businesss and the consumer as this approach is helping to hold down the increase cost of healthcare. The annual increase cost are still more than double inflation but they have slowed to that level. If this approach wasn't implemented the following may have happen or the date at least has been pushed back:

Who will have health insurance in the year 2025?

If current trends continue, U.S. health insurance costs will consume the average household's annual income by 2025. As health care becomes unaffordable for most people in the United States, it will be necessary to implement innovative models to move the system in a more equitable and sustainable direction.
Who will have health insurance in the year 2025? -- The Robert Graham Center

A more accurate description is that insurance companies mirror the high cost of health care in America. It is true that the cost of health care in America is an outrage and something must be done about it. Many economist foresee the cost of health care as the next big economic threat to the US's financial security.

Which reinforces my opinion during the healthcare debate. Commonsense argues that what 'we need' is something to cover costs beyond what one expects from a doctor's office. Years ago, before insurance coverage became a benefit in lieu of higher salaries, doctors charged a pregnant women for prenatal, hospital stay, delivery, and a year of well baby care for one flat fee. That included everything, including inoculations. Sort of a Club Med experience for health care. LOL!

Doctors should be able to set their fees and collect them at the time services are provided. If arrangements need to be made, that is the doctor's decision. Fees should be posted for routine care and a person should be able to call before hand and find what they are. No insurance, no staff for the doctor to hire just for insurance and collections. Thus a school or sports physical is $X.XX. A complete physical, (usually because a patient feels something is wrong), will cost $X.XX. Gyn or prostate exams, $X.00. Flu shots, etc.

If your kid falls off their skateboard and breaks their arm or has a concussion, a trip to the emergency room is probably the way to go. Deductible should be something like $500-$1500, with hospitals required to make arrangements for paying that amount based upon need. Above and beyond sent to insurance carrier.

Granted better minds than mine would need to work out details, but bottom line a plan should encourage individuals to use discretion for going to the doctors; moreso in running to hospitals. The system should focus on letting doctors practice medicine, not running as a liaison between patients and insurance companies. Hospitals should be for cases that are beyond the capabilities of the more affordable private physician locations.

I think at least one possible answer is more competition for insurance companies nation-wide. More choices is always good, plus I'd do some kind of tort reform to hold down the costs.

No i don't...and i really don't understand how the insurances work. But it just doesn't seem right that they can charge a different prices than what would be charged without the insurance. But they do and they can get away with it...

No....because of government meddling.

Watch this:

"Even if someone wants medical
insurance without the mandates, that option is not available,
leading to some people not having any insurance.
According to CAHI, the states with the most mandates
are Minnesota—62—and Maryland—59. The
fewest mandates are 13 in Idaho and 17 in the District
of Columbia.The average is 36.

Here are some of the mandates the 50 states and District
of Columbia have imposed, followed by the number
of states. Unless indicated otherwise, the added cost
to insurance is less than 1 percent:
Benefits mandates:

• Alcoholism, 45 states (1 percent to 3 percent added
cost)
• Alzheimer’s, 2 states
• Ambulance services, 8 states
• Breast reconstruction, 48 states
• Chlamydia, 3 states
• Cleft palate, 14 states
• Contraceptives, 30 states (1 percent to 3 percent
added cost)
• Dental anesthesia, 29 states
• Diabetic supplies, 47 states
• Drug-abuse treatment, 34 states
• In vitro fertilization, 14 states (3 percent to 5 percent
added cost)
• Mental health general, 40 states (1 percent to 3
percent added cost)
• Mental-health parity, 42 states (5 percent to 10
percent added cost)
• Newborn hearing screening, 16 states
• Newborn sickle-cell testing, 3 states
• Off-label drug use, 37 states
• Port-wine stain (a skin discoloration) elimination,
2 states
• Prescription drugs, 3 states (5 percent to 10 percent
added cost)
• Prostate screening, 32 states
• Second surgical opinion, 9 states
• Well-child care, 31 states (1 percent to 3 percent
added cost)
Provider mandates:
• Acupuncturists, 11 states (1 percent to 3 percent
added cost)
• Chiropractors, 46 states (1 percent to 3 percent
added cost)
• Dentists, 36 states (3 percent to 5 percent added
cost)
• Dieticians, 3 states
• Marriage therapists, 13 states
• Massage therapists, 5 states
• Naturopaths, 3 states
• Osteopaths, 21 states (1 percent to 3 percent added
cost)
• Physical therapists, 16 states (1 percent to 3 percent
added cost)
• Podiatrists, 35 states
• Psychiatric nurses, 16 states
• Psychologists, 44 states (1 percent to 3 percent
added cost)
• Social workers, 27 states (1 percent to 3 percent
added cost)
• Speech or hearing therapists, 18 states
Covered-persons mandates:
• Adopted children, 42 states
• Conversion to nongroup insurance, 42 states (1
percent to 3 percent added cost)
THE
http://www.cahi.org/cahi_contents/resources/pdf/HealthInsuranceMandates2008.pdf

"Put another way, if
just these two
mandates were
repealed in
California, from
177,776 to 499,995
people could again
afford insurance."
http://www.fee.org/pdf/the-freeman/9 07 Seiler bah.pdf

Begin to see the picture?
If you were allowed the FREEDOM to select what you wished to be
covered for....it would be cheaper.

No i don't...and i really don't understand how the insurances work. But it just doesn't seem right that they can charge a different prices than what would be charged without the insurance. But they do and they can get away with it...

Well, from what I can find, the $130 billed the government is reimbursed at far less that that amount:

1. "The physician work component accounts, on average, for 52 percent of the total relative value for each service. The initial physician work relative values were based on the results of a Harvard University study. The factors used to determine physician work include the time it takes to perform the service; the technical skill and physical effort; the required mental effort and judgment; and stress due to the potential risk to the patient. The physician work relative values are updated each year to account for changes in medical practice. Also, the legislation enacting the RBRVS requires the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to review the whole scale at least every five years.

The practice expense component of the RBRVS accounts for an average of 44 percent of the total relative value for each service. Practice expense relative values were based on a formula using average Medicare approved charges from 1991 (the year before the RBRVS was implemented) and the proportion of each specialty's revenues that is attributable to practice expenses. However, in January 1999, CMS began a transition to resource-based practice expense relative values for each CPT code that differs based on the site of service. In 2002, the resource-based practice expenses were fully transitioned."
Overview of the RBRVS

2. How Physician Fees Are Determined
Basically, the R.B.R.V.S. breaks down the total cost of providing a particular physician service into three components expressed in relative value units, commonly known as R.V.U.’s:

1. the physician’s own “work,” which accounts on average for 52 percent of the total relative costs for each service;

2. the physician’s outlays for any practice resources other than his or her own time (office space, supplies, clinical and administrative staff), which accounts for an average of 44 percent of the total relative cost of a service;

3. professional liability insurance, accounting on average for 4 percent of total relative practice costs.
For a particular market area, each of these three cost components is adjusted by a geographic practice cost index that accounts for variations across market areas in the cost of living, the prices of nonphysician practice resources and malpractice premiums.

The sum of these geographically adjusted R.V.U.’s for a particular service then constitutes the total R.V.U. of that service.

Finally, to convert this schedule into a fee schedule expressed in dollars, the total R.V.U. of a given service is multiplied by a “conversion factor” – a dollar amount per R.V.U. applied to all services in the relative value schedule.
Uwe E. Reinhardt: Medicare's Payments to Physicians - NYTimes.com

3. There are different explanations for what happened. Hsiao blames lobbyists. Lobbyists and doctors say health care is just expensive, and most of the time Medicare actually underpays doctors.
How Should Medicare Pay Doctors? : NPR

Thank you for that display in stupidity.

1. "Data released last week by two federal agencies — the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) — stripped the Obama health law of its constitutional and economic justifications, like an emperor with no clothes.

2. The new facts should seal a victory for the parties challenging the Obama health law in the coming U.S. Supreme Court showdown and ignite voter rage next November against the president who lied to get the law passed.

3. The AHRQ report on who consumes healthcare shatters the Obama administration’s constitutional justification for compelling all Americans to buy insurance.

5. Why should a majority of the under-65 population be subject to a health insurance requirement when they consume little or no healthcare? That is the reasoning behind the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals decision last August to strike down the Obama health law’s mandatory insurance provision.

6. Judges Frank Hull and Joel Dubina called the Obama administration’s claim that everyone needs healthcare “a convenient sleight of hand,” meaning a lie. This week’s AHRQ report gives the Supreme Court Justices solid evidence to uphold the 11th Circuit ruling.

7. The mandate turns insurers into private tax collectors, collecting mandatory premiums from the healthy to pay for politically popular benefits for the sick.

8. To frighten the nation into passing the Affordable Care Act in 2010, the president falsely claimed that healthcare spending was “spiraling” and “skyrocketing.” He labeled it the domestic crisis of our time.

9. Contrary to the president’s alarming words, healthcare spending was growing more slowly in 2009 and 2010 than at any other time in the last half century. A new report by CMS actuaries shows that spending inched up only 3.8 percent in 2009 and 3.9 percent the next year.

10. Federal actuaries forecast health spending jumping a whopping 8.3 percent in 2014, the year most of the law takes effect, with annual increases thereafter averaging 6.2 percent until 2020. One reason is that people with private health plans will be compelled to prepay for more of their care with insurance, rather than opting for high deductibles and copays."
New Data Strip Obama's Health Law of Its Rationales

You're on, RedBeard...
This C&P is one of your stupidest yet! And that isn't easy.

People aren't usually hospitalized every year, only in emergencies, so most years their use of medical insurance is minimal. But if they were not carrying their insurance and were hospitalized in an emergency they would probably end up homeless from the bills. I know if I didn't have insurance for my back surgury I would have lost everything. Even after insurance paid what it did I had over $11,000 in noncovered expenses, but at least I could afford that without selling my house. Other emergencies cost a lot more than back surgury.

Just like car insurance, we don't carry medical insurance to file a claim every year. I've been driving for 50 years and have never filed a claim. Insurance is there mainly for emergencies.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back