Halal supermarket - Sell Alcohol & Pork or Face Closure

What a crock. I hope the store prevails, that's bullshit. And the idea that being Halal somehow means it's "restricted to Muslims" is preposterous. I went to a halal grocery last week and I certainly didn't have to become a Muslim. I also didn't go there to buy alcohol or pork, for the same reason I don't go to a car parts store to by lettuce.

Wonder what their attitude would be on selling cigarettes.

They are not talking about America, but I still remember a time when Walgreens stopped selling beer, the cooperate mom found her ex daughter in law dead in a crack house..sad story

Former wife follows would-be Walgreen heir to early death | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News

It took walgreens up to 6 years ago to cave in and start selling beer again to that tragic story in 1992

Walgreen Serving Up Wine, Beer Again

What a crock. I hope the store prevails, that's bullshit. And the idea that being Halal somehow means it's "restricted to Muslims" is preposterous. I went to a halal grocery last week and I certainly didn't have to become a Muslim. I also didn't go there to buy alcohol or pork, for the same reason I don't go to a car parts store to by lettuce.

They are not talking about America, but I still remember a time when Walgreens stopped selling beer, the cooperate mom found her ex daughter in law dead in a crack house..sad story

Former wife follows would-be Walgreen heir to early death | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News

It took walgreens up to 6 years ago to cave in and start selling beer again to that tragic story in 1992

I'm not following what your point is there.
Was the daughter in law killed because the place wouldn't sell beer? :dunno:

In a related story I believe CVS stopped selling tobacco products a couple of years ago, chainwide....

jj

In a related story I believe CVS stopped selling tobacco products a couple of years ago, chainwide....

Guess you be never experimented with drugs or alcohol..they go hand in hand in the dark side of life..

Other posters here get what I am saying, once upon a time walgreens stoped selling cigarettes on a young girls request.

Ah I can't find that young girls story real fast..and the letter she wrote to walgreens that I remember reading a few years back, but I know they stopped selling smokes along with rite aid..for a few years..Google it if you like.

jj

Guess you be never experimented with drugs or alcohol..they go hand in hand in the dark side of life..

Other posters here get what I am saying, once upon a time walgreens stoped selling cigarettes on a young girls request.

Ah I can't find that young girls story real fast..and the letter she wrote to walgreens that I remember reading a few years back, but I know they stopped selling smokes along with rite aid..for a few years..Google it if you like.

I still don't know what your point is.
So ... Walgreen's stopped selling alcohol? And?

jj

Look at your OP, why would I bother to post something, if I was not drawn to it and remember a story like walgreens and the reasons they stopped selling beer and smokes in a free society..

It was for personal reasons like that store you mentioned that won't sell liquor and pork..

What's the big deal? Its not like the backer who sold a product but wouldn't sell it to a specific sexual person.

If you want to sell a product sell to all, if you don't want to sell something dont

jj

Look at your OP, why would I bother to post something, if I was not drawn to it and remember a story like walgreens and the reasons they stopped selling beer and smokes in a free society..

It was for personal reasons like that store you mentioned that won't sell liquor and pork..

What's the big deal? Its not like the backer who sold a product but wouldn't sell it to a specific sexual person.

If you want to sell a product sell to all, if you don't want to sell something dont

I agree with all that, I made the same point. But it's not my OP.
I just don't follow what's happening with the Walgreen's story, that's all. No biggie.

No, I don't think the State gets to dictate how you choose to run your business to the point of forcing you to carry merchandise you're not there to carry.
They certainly do when they issue the licence or lease the property. If you don't like the terms don't make the deal.

You don't seem to have a clue about what halal means. It's a specific derivation/preparation routine. It doesn't mean you've been denied something.
It means you've been denied all that is classified as haram.

Once again -- Alcohol is not a food. Prove me wrong. Or, as you indicated, run away.
I'm not sure why you're so strident about this issue, but you seem to me to be needing to redefine words in order to make an argument, usually a sign of a weak position.

Fats and ethanol have the greatest amount of food energy per mass, 37 and 29 kJ/g (8.8 and 6.9 kcal/g), respectively.
Food energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Once again -- Alcohol is not a food. Prove me wrong. Or, as you indicated, run away.
I'm not sure why you're so strident about this issue, but you seem to me to be needing to redefine words in order to make an argument, usually a sign of a weak position.

Fats and ethanol have the greatest amount of food energy per mass, 37 and 29 kJ/g (8.8 and 6.9 kcal/g), respectively.
Food energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simply because it's an invalid argument.

No question there are sugars in alcohol but it's not a "food". Therefore that part of the argument that complains of the store's not carrying alcohol as an example of not carrying a "food" --- is invalid.

That leaves, out of the two items cited, just pork.

The question then becomes what defines "general food"?
Food the 'general' population consumes.

The way I think it's generally understood, in the phrase "general food store", the adjective general applies to store -- not food. This is frankly the first time I've ever seen it analyzed as "food the general population consumes". That's pretty much impossible to define.

No, I don't think the State gets to dictate how you choose to run your business to the point of forcing you to carry merchandise you're not there to carry.
They certainly do when they issue the licence or lease the property. If you don't like the terms don't make the deal.

That's the central question. If they are licensed/leased as a "general food store" -- well, that's what they're already doing, isn't it.

Again, I can't get haggis at my local grocery chain. That doesn't mean they're not a grocery store.

Seems to me the condition of being a "general food store" has already been met. I'm not sure the lease can say they can walk in and dictate what products they carry within that framework. The absurdity is a bit like George Clooney walking in and starting a row over "I'm a Dapper Dan man". Except it's the local authorities doing the dictating.

The way I think it's generally understood, in the phrase "general food store", the adjective general applies to store -- not food. This is frankly the first time I've ever seen it analyzed as "food the general population consumes". That's pretty much impossible to define.
Ffs sake. You asked for a definition of 'general food'.

No, I believe the phrase is "general food store". The phrase "general food" is not even in common parlance, although "general store" is.

Simply because it's an invalid argument.
Everything except the evidence agrees with you.

the definition of food

any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.

Actually that confirms my argument. Alcohol does not sustain life. Food does.

Cue mandatory joke on alcohol being one of the food groups, but .... it isn't.

I have to say I'd taken other posters' intimations that you were a foolish contrarian with a pinch of salt. I see now what they meant.

Enough of this.

No, I believe the phrase is "general food store". The phrase "general food" is not even in common parlance, although "general store" is.
Are you drunk?

Pogo said:

The question then becomes what defines "general food"?

You're actually trying to combine elements from an entirely different posts from six hours ago, to the present?
Are YOU drunk?

That -- had to go back and research it -- was in the context of dissecting the authorities' legal basis for threatening the store -- defining the term "general". Which you cherrypicked entirely out of its context.

Forum List

Back