Halal supermarket - Sell Alcohol & Pork or Face Closure

I have to say I'd taken other posters' intimations that you were a foolish contrarian with a pinch of salt. I see now what they meant.

Enough of this.

So you're actually planting your flag on the idea that alcohol is a food eh?

Good luck with that.

What a crock. I hope the store prevails, that's bullshit. And the idea that being Halal somehow means it's "restricted to Muslims" is preposterous. I went to a halal grocery last week and I certainly didn't have to become a Muslim. I also didn't go there to buy alcohol or pork, for the same reason I don't go to a car parts store to by lettuce.

Wonder what their attitude would be on selling cigarettes.

You seem to miss the point that the lease stipulated the terms of trading and the owner is in breach of the lease. If it is the only store within a close distance then it has a monopoly, and very soon the area would become just another islamicised suburb of Paris. Until you live under the muslim tenets then you cant envision them and what they mean for non muslims.

I'm not sure what to think of it, on one hand when you are in a muslim country you need to follow islamic law, they even forbid bibles and christian names, so the muslims here I dont want them to feel to comfortable with islamic law, but on the other hand there are the jews and they have kosher shops and they slaughter ritually too and they have stricter food laws then muslims, and no one complains about jews.

Not just that it ia the shop becoming a monopoly and refusing to sell certain products, pork and alcohol are just the start. Next it will be to refuse to serve women shopping by themselves, or to serve all food and drink during daylight hours at ramadan. See how the rot slowly creeps in and creates the problems for everyone at a later date.

What a crock. I hope the store prevails, that's bullshit. And the idea that being Halal somehow means it's "restricted to Muslims" is preposterous. I went to a halal grocery last week and I certainly didn't have to become a Muslim. I also didn't go there to buy alcohol or pork, for the same reason I don't go to a car parts store to by lettuce.

You seem to miss the point that the lease stipulated the terms of trading and the owner is in breach of the lease. If it is the only store within a close distance then it has a monopoly, and very soon the area would become just another islamicised suburb of Paris. Until you live under the muslim tenets then you cant envision them and what they mean for non muslims.

That's the question isn't it --- whether the owner is in breach of the lease.
I don't see how he is. The lease supposedly requires a general food store, and that's what they're doing, is it not?
Now they want to nitpick over not carrying this item or not carrying that one, but the absence of this or that doesn't mean they're not running a general food store. Hey, can't get pork? Have chicken. Whatever.

It's got nothing to do with "Muslim (it's capitalized) tenets". Seems to have much more to do with local authorities operating with a heavy hand telling a business how to run itself.

I'm not sure what to think of it, on one hand when you are in a muslim country you need to follow islamic law, they even forbid bibles and christian names, so the muslims here I dont want them to feel to comfortable with islamic law, but on the other hand there are the jews and they have kosher shops and they slaughter ritually too and they have stricter food laws then muslims, and no one complains about jews.

Not just that it ia the shop becoming a monopoly and refusing to sell certain products, pork and alcohol are just the start. Next it will be to refuse to serve women shopping by themselves, or to serve all food and drink during daylight hours at ramadan. See how the rot slowly creeps in and creates the problems for everyone at a later date.

Again, there's no evidence for any of that. They're not "refusing to sell pork and alcohol" --- it's simply never been part of what they carry. A product doesn't exist by default until you "take it away".

Besides which, if you're looking for pork or alcohol, and you know this store doesn't have it --- then just go somewhere else. Maybe a tire store will carry it. And if they don't we'll just have the local gendarmes force them to.

I don't believe anyone ever addressed my earlier example --- suppose you opened a restaurant catering to vegetarians. Would you tolerate the State stomping in and declaring you have to sell dead cow because some of the public wants it?

Sure they have. What a 'tard you are...

What It Means To Be A Progressive: A Manifesto

What It Means To Be A Progressive: A Manifesto — ThinkProgress

Whatever that is --- I didn't write it.

Here son --- learn you some history:

>> Progressivism is the term applied to a variety of responses to the economic and social problems rapid industrialization introduced to America. Progressivism began as a social movement and grew into a political movement. The early progressives rejected Social Darwinism. In other words, they were people who believed that the problems society faced (poverty, violence, greed, racism, class warfare) could best be addressed by providing good education, a safe environment, and an efficient workplace. Progressives lived mainly in the cities, were college educated, and believed that government could be a tool for change. Social reformers, like Jane Addams, and journalists, like Jacob Riis and Ida Tarbel, were powerful voiceslld for progressivism. They concentrated on exposing the evils of corporate greed, combating fear of immigrants, and urging Americans to think hard about what democracy meant. Other local leaders encouraged Americans to register to vote, fight political corruption, and let the voting public decide how issues should best be addressed (the initiative, the referendum, and the recall).

On a national level, progressivism gained a strong voice in the White House when Theodore Roosevelt became president in 1901. TR believed that strong corporations were good for America, but he also believed that corporate behavior must be watched to ensure that corporate greed did not get out of hand (trust-busting and federal regulation of business). Progressivism ended with World War I when the horrors of war exposed people's cruelty and many Americans associated President Woodrow Wilson's use of progressive language ("the war to make the world safe for democracy") with the war. << -- The Progressive Era (1890-1920)
Toldja.
/completely offtopic

Like I said, you're a tard. The progressive movement has never gone away no matter how hard you try and make people believe so. You're like Kaiser Soze...

Meh. Go argue with George Washington University. I just proved you wrong. You know what to do next.

For what it's worth I can't agree with them about Wilson, who was not so much a Progressive as an Asshole. I'd say the last Progressive was Fighting Bob LaFollette. That's open to debate but either way it's a century ago.

/offtopic

Wow, yet another idiot claiming to "win the internets" What are you 12? Think Progress says you're full of shit. I'll go with them.

You do that Sparkles. You have Think Progress, I have George Washington University. And the history books.

:itsok:

Now stop trolling, you're completely off topic.
Sure they have. What a 'tard you are...

What It Means To Be A Progressive: A Manifesto

What It Means To Be A Progressive: A Manifesto — ThinkProgress

Whatever that is --- I didn't write it.

Here son --- learn you some history:

>> Progressivism is the term applied to a variety of responses to the economic and social problems rapid industrialization introduced to America. Progressivism began as a social movement and grew into a political movement. The early progressives rejected Social Darwinism. In other words, they were people who believed that the problems society faced (poverty, violence, greed, racism, class warfare) could best be addressed by providing good education, a safe environment, and an efficient workplace. Progressives lived mainly in the cities, were college educated, and believed that government could be a tool for change. Social reformers, like Jane Addams, and journalists, like Jacob Riis and Ida Tarbel, were powerful voiceslld for progressivism. They concentrated on exposing the evils of corporate greed, combating fear of immigrants, and urging Americans to think hard about what democracy meant. Other local leaders encouraged Americans to register to vote, fight political corruption, and let the voting public decide how issues should best be addressed (the initiative, the referendum, and the recall).

On a national level, progressivism gained a strong voice in the White House when Theodore Roosevelt became president in 1901. TR believed that strong corporations were good for America, but he also believed that corporate behavior must be watched to ensure that corporate greed did not get out of hand (trust-busting and federal regulation of business). Progressivism ended with World War I when the horrors of war exposed people's cruelty and many Americans associated President Woodrow Wilson's use of progressive language ("the war to make the world safe for democracy") with the war. << -- The Progressive Era (1890-1920)
Toldja.
/completely offtopic

Like I said, you're a tard. The progressive movement has never gone away no matter how hard you try and make people believe so. You're like Kaiser Soze...

Meh. Go argue with George Washington University. I just proved you wrong. You know what to do next.

For what it's worth I can't agree with them about Wilson, who was not so much a Progressive as an Asshole. I'd say the last Progressive was Fighting Bob LaFollette. That's open to debate but either way it's a century ago.

/offtopic

Wow, yet another idiot claiming to "win the internets" What are you 12? Think Progress says you're full of shit. I'll go with them.

You do that Sparkles. You have Think Progress, I have George Washington University. And the history books.

:itsok:

Now stop trolling, you're completely off topic.

Sure thing junior. Here's the PLAN website for here in NV. Bob Fulkerson is their director. Funny they call themselves progressives.. Like I said, GW uni is cute, but they ignore reality. And, your continued support for a Islamist market, which has violated the terms of their rental agreement is typical of the progressive mentality, so no, I am not off topic when i point out your support, and the reason for your support of the Islamists.

PLAN Staff - Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada -

The way I think it's generally understood, in the phrase "general food store", the adjective general applies to store -- not food. This is frankly the first time I've ever seen it analyzed as "food the general population consumes". That's pretty much impossible to define.
Ffs sake. You asked for a definition of 'general food'.

No, I believe the phrase is "general food store". The phrase "general food" is not even in common parlance, although "general store" is.

Are you going to ask what the definition of "IS" is? Truly dude, you're arguments are those of an ass. cnm and I rarely agree on anything, but here I am in full agreement with him, when you have to wrap yourself in the warped definition of words. Words that are well known, and who's definitions are well established, you're pissing up a rope.

Good luck with that.

It's a special business license requiring the business to be open to the Public to serve ALL of the public needs. It's not holding up to it's requirements in the Lease. Close them down.

Seriously, pulled pork, ribs, bacon, hot dogs, bourbon, scotch, cognac, armagnac, beer, wine.

Without all these, what is the point?
I don't eat pork. But I like a nice glass of vino at the weekend.

You don't?

Why not?
I cants stand the smell of it, nor the taste of it. Same with beef.

You've never had a Texas brisket smoked for 24 hours over post oak with a few pieces of pecan thrown in for the sweetness.
You'll become a beef fanatic...

Franklin is world renowned for his beef...one taste and you'll trip your grandmother to get to the head of the line.
Austin's Franklin Barbecue

I've worked for over twenty years to master this technique,and while I make a kickass brisket this guy is a God!!!
I did have some yummy meals in Austin and Dallas and some little places in between :beer:

Again, there's no evidence for any of that. They're not "refusing to sell pork and alcohol" --- it's simply never been part of what they carry. A product doesn't exist by default until you "take it away".

Besides which, if you're looking for pork or alcohol, and you know this store doesn't have it --- then just go somewhere else. Maybe a tire store will carry it. And if they don't we'll just have the local gendarmes force them to.

I don't believe anyone ever addressed my earlier example --- suppose you opened a restaurant catering to vegetarians. Would you tolerate the State stomping in and declaring you have to sell dead cow because some of the public wants it?
What if there is no somewhere else to go?
You can force a cake baker to bake homo's cakes you can force a Muslim grocery store to serve non-Muslim foods.

It's a special business license requiring the business to be open to the Public to serve ALL of the public needs. It's not holding up to it's requirements in the Lease. Close them down.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where Kosher Delis could not exist.
No one makes a Pastrami on Rye better.
1-katzs-delicatessen-new-york-new-york.jpg

That's the question isn't it --- whether the owner is in breach of the lease.
I don't see how he is. The lease supposedly requires a general food store, and that's what they're doing, is it not?
Now they want to nitpick over not carrying this item or not carrying that one, but the absence of this or that doesn't mean they're not running a general food store. Hey, can't get pork? Have chicken. Whatever.

It's got nothing to do with "Muslim (it's capitalized) tenets". Seems to have much more to do with local authorities operating with a heavy hand telling a business how to run itself.

No as they are refusing to sell products that are seen as staple in the area, namely spiced pork meat and alcohol. The fact that the French eat just as much pork as the Germans and Poles and have a long reputation for producing and drinking wine means the lease terms have been broken. Just as if a muslim took over an American BBQ house and refused to serve pulled pork and Bud

They were sold before the muslims took over the lease, so they had become part of their stock in trade. Once the muslims invoked their religion they were in breach of the lease. Would this be allowed in the US under your constitution and its amendments ?

They were sold before the muslims took over the lease, so they had become part of their stock in trade. Once the muslims invoked their religion they were in breach of the lease. Would this be allowed in the US under your constitution and its amendments ?

Actually I don't think any business in the US is forced to sell certain products as a condition of a lease. Zoning laws can say what types of businesses can be established in areas but that's about it as far as I know

I have seen business especially restaurants change hands multiple times sometimes that meant the loss of a liquor license and they all usually meant some sort of menu change

What business is it of government what food an establishment sells as long as it meets all the health codes?

As long as they give the same mandate to Kosher Delis I guess it's OK

As long as they are covered by the same lease then there will not be a problem, but I have been served pork and alcohol in a Jewish deli.

A big concern in the UK is the meat used in some take away meals, and many lamb curries have been found to contain pork, beef and chicken instead of lamb. Making the religious restriction enforced by the muslims into a LIE

As long as they are covered by the same lease then there will not be a problem, but I have been served pork and alcohol in a Jewish deli.

A big concern in the UK is the meat used in some take away meals, and many lamb curries have been found to contain pork, beef and chicken instead of lamb. Making the religious restriction enforced by the muslims into a LIE
Not at a Kosher Jewish Deli you didn't

Kosher standards do not allow pork

You just have to have two sets of utensils one for pork one for kosher.

You just have to have two sets of utensils one for pork one for kosher.

No that's for dairy products and meats

Kosher rules ban the consumption of pork

Forum List

Back