Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

Until you get East of Disney. From then on into Downtown, the last 8 miles or so, it is an hour drive minimum and that is on a good day.

Immie
so, you'd get on the train, and end up in downtown Orlando and then have to get to disney
LOL

No, I wouldn't, but then, I also said earlier that I don't think the plan is a good one... definitely not something the U.S. Government should be going further into debt over.

About the only thing I can see HSR being useful for is to get across the country on. I could see the value of two E/W corridors say SF to NY and LA to Washington with a few NS lines to hit major metro areas, but the expense of that would be down right astronomical and out of the question when one wants to be reasonable.

I for one support Gov. Scott's decision. Unfortunately, it appears the U.S. Government is damned well going to spend that money come hell or high water.

What the hell is wrong with these idiots in Washington? Money doesn't grown on cherry trees, which I understand are prevalent in the Washington area.

Immie

I am not sold on high speed rail as a people mover, unless they make it an AutoTrain. I AM sold on rail as a better way to move goods around the country than long-haul 18 wheelers.

Last edited:
so, you'd get on the train, and end up in downtown Orlando and then have to get to disney
LOL

No, I wouldn't, but then, I also said earlier that I don't think the plan is a good one... definitely not something the U.S. Government should be going further into debt over.

About the only thing I can see HSR being useful for is to get across the country on. I could see the value of two E/W corridors say SF to NY and LA to Washington with a few NS lines to hit major metro areas, but the expense of that would be down right astronomical and out of the question when one wants to be reasonable.

I for one support Gov. Scott's decision. Unfortunately, it appears the U.S. Government is damned well going to spend that money come hell or high water.

What the hell is wrong with these idiots in Washington? Money doesn't grown on cherry trees, which I understand are prevalent in the Washington area.

Immie

I am not sold on high speed rail as a people mover, unless they make it an AutoTrain. I AM sold on rail as a better way to move goods around the country than long-haul 18 wheelers.
high speed freight makes sense
but you have to limit the numbe of stops and slowdowns it has to make
like elevating the places where it would intersect with roads
no stops and stations few and far between

Immie

Only problem with that is the fact that freight doesn't really need to move that quickly. Thousands of truck drivers will lose their jobs, as well as mechanics. Small business parts manufacturers and suppliers for trucks will go out of business, and on and on and on. It will be one big jobs killer in the end.

Only problem with that is the fact that freight doesn't really need to move that quickly. Thousands of truck drivers will lose their jobs, as well as mechanics. Small business parts manufacturers and suppliers for trucks will go out of business, and on and on and on. It will be one big jobs killer in the end.
i only said it makes sense
and those truckers would still be needed for short hauls
and i still think it should be done by PRIVATE investors

Private investment is the only way it would work. The government would turn it into a money losing permanent bail out entity strapped to the taxpayers backs like AMTRAK is.

Funny thing is, I want to know where all these promised shovel ready projects are, along with the jobs it was promised they would create. And this administration is talking about high speed rail?.......Give me a friggin break!

Private investment is the only way it would work. The government would turn it into a money losing permanent bail out entity strapped to the taxpayers backs like AMTRAK is.

Funny thing is, I want to know where all these promised shovel ready projects are, along with the jobs it was promised they would create. And this administration is talking about high speed rail?.......Give me a friggin break!
you didnt hear?
Obama already admitted there were no such thing as "shovel ready jobs"

you didnt hear?
The only thing I can say is god help us and, RUN CHRISTIE RUN!

We need a man who says what he means, and means what he says!......Obama has fully proven he isn't that man.

you didnt hear?

We need a man who says what he means, and means what he says!......Obama has fully proven he isn't that man.

Christie might run but he won't be the Republican hack you want him to be. If you knew anything about him, you wouldn't make such dumb comments all the time.

If you're for Palin or any other knee jerk R for president, you won't be that happy with Christie.

you didnt hear?

Christie might run but he won't be the Republican hack you want him to be. If you knew anything about him, you wouldn't make such dumb comments all the time.

If you're for Palin or any other knee jerk R for president, you won't be that happy with Christie.
Trust me, I know more about him than you do, ya box o' rocks.

Face it, he's your worst nightmare. He'll steamroll Obama.

Yeah, I like Palin but, I don't want her anywhere near the oval office. I like her for the simple fact that she isn't affraid to tell Obama and you liberals that you're all a bunch o' friggin idiots!

he was elected
so tough shit most of your fellow Floridians voted for him

I think the residents of Florida have voted high speed rail down more than once. I don't know which Florida you live in but it's true of the one I live in.. Tough shit rabid.

BULLSHIT! Why do you resort to lying through your teeth?

Florida voters amended their state's constitution in 2000. The amendment required the state to build high-speed rail.

Republicans, led by another fuckup named Bush, ignored voter wishes.

You are either a bald-faced liar or an ignoramus - which is it?

You didn't get the memo I see.

LOL

Immie

Not me!

I despise CSX Railroad. I sat for 45 minutes one time waiting for some jackass to get off his lunch break while he had traffic blocked. Then on Highway 41 in several places they block the highway for up to thirty minutes nearly daily while they switch trains from one track to another at traffic time.

The arrogant SOBs! They think they own the world.

HSR would be a great way to get across the country, if it was not so expensive to build. As for your thoughts about it being an autotrain, I don't find that to be a requirement as far as I am concerned. Rental cars are so easy to obtain that I probably would never consider transporting my vehicle anyway.

Immie

Trust me, I know more about him than you do, ya box o' rocks.

Face it, he's your worst nightmare. He'll steamroll Obama.

Yeah, I like Palin but, I don't want her anywhere near the oval office. I like her for the simple fact that she isn't affraid to tell Obama and you liberals that you're all a bunch o' friggin idiots!

Oh come on now. Where's yer sense of humor. I'd like to see President Palin for the simple reason it would cause millions of librul heads to explode simultaneously.. Would that be a fourth of July bang for the next hundret yars or so???

I think the residents of Florida have voted high speed rail down more than once. I don't know which Florida you live in but it's true of the one I live in.. Tough shit rabid.

They did at least once.

November 2004 Florida HSR Constitutional Amendment Repealed

Florida voters repeal the high speed rail amendment. The fiscal impact statement with the repeal amendment estimates the state cost savings from between $20 to $25 billion during a 30 year period.

Prominent opponents note lack of federal financial support for HSR. FDOT’s current estimates, based upon engineering design and analysis, the Tampa-Orlando-Miami corridor will cost approximately $13 billion to build, with more than 80 percent of these funds coming from the federal rail program.

History - Florida High Speed Rail

And, ya know what I heard on Fox News Today? Fox News the best and most useful source of News in America??? That China is very much regretting their investment in "high speed rail".

You mean the news station that purposely used last years CPAC crowd reaction to Ron Paul's straw poll win instead of the cheering in this years?

Such a trusted name in news.

And, ya know what I heard on Fox News Today? Fox News the best and most useful source of News in America??? That China is very much regretting their investment in "high speed rail".

You mean the news station that purposely used last years CPAC crowd reaction to Ron Paul's straw poll win instead of the cheering in this years?

Such a trusted name in news.
meh, all news stations fuck up

Hanlons razor

Someone earlier said something about 10 riders per train. Having lived in Silicon Valley after they put in their version of Light Rail, I know exactly what that person means. That was exactly what happened with the Light Rail in Silicon Valley. Last year, Hillsborough County voters (where Tampa is) shot down a light rail proposal... Thank God!!! I suspect that this version of HSR would be very similar to the Light Rail in SV. I simply don't see the need for it. People living in Miami are not going to commute to Orlando to work, it just is not going to happen. People do commute from Tampa to Orlando, about 80 miles, but, unless the daily ticket price including parking is less than $15-$20, HSR is not likely to end the nightmare of that commute.

Immie
the best place for light rail is not inter city, but intra city
to help people in the suburbs get into the city to work and then back home again

The problem with Tampa is that there is no real "inner-city" We have a Downtown, but most of the work force is spread out. There is no "central hub" to bring the light rail too. Silicon Valley was the same way. It was too spread out. The Light Rail system basically went NS and literally destroyed the traffic pattern that went EW.

I used to cross the LR at Montague Expressway in SJ. The lights would change to red usually two seconds after going green, and the crossing guards would come down, 45 seconds later (okay, that is probably stretching it, it was most likely more like 15 seconds) a train with two cars would go by... you could actually count the number of heads that were visible on one hand, that train would go by the crossing guards would stay down, then another train going northbound would pass and again, you could count the number of heads on the train on one hand (by the way this was at commute times), that train would pass and before the crossing guards came up another SB train would go by with fewer than five people on board. In the meantime, EW traffic was stacking up. EW traffic never cleared because of the LR.

Immie

This is true. If they were to build one, I'd guess they'd build it at TIA.

Immie

Not me!

I despise CSX Railroad. I sat for 45 minutes one time waiting for some jackass to get off his lunch break while he had traffic blocked. Then on Highway 41 in several places they block the highway for up to thirty minutes nearly daily while they switch trains from one track to another at traffic time.

The arrogant SOBs! They think they own the world.

HSR would be a great way to get across the country, if it was not so expensive to build. As for your thoughts about it being an autotrain, I don't find that to be a requirement as far as I am concerned. Rental cars are so easy to obtain that I probably would never consider transporting my vehicle anyway.

Immie

Isn't CSX's fault. These guys are UNION and can do as they want.

As my wife and I were watching the new this morning this subject came up and my wife asked: "AmTrak looses money and apparently people don't use it much. Why would High Speed Rail be any different?"

your wife is dumb.

amtrak is not high-speed, and still some people use it.

right now you can take a train from st. louis to chicago - a 6 hour trip - for about $40. It cousts 6 to 7 times that to fly - but the flight only takes one hour. of course, you need to get to the airport an hour before hand for security - and you get the 'pleasure' of going through all of that so really you're saving only about 4 hours tops.

now what if the train made the trip in 3.5 hours? would avoiding airport security and saving hundreds of dollars be worth your 90 minutes? it would be for a lot of people.
And it would possibly do a lot of damage to the st. Louis/Chicago route for the airline, causing a loss of business and jobs.

As for Amtrak, the northeast corridor is the only profitable line, but that is because, well, try driving around there.

Florida may be a tourist spot around Orlando, Tampa and to a lesser extent Miami, but I don't know of many tourists who wish to go to Orlando and Miami or Tampa at the same trip. Not enough to make a rail like that profitable. And the demographics simply don't call for it either. The residents may be older but the car ownership rates are higher than many other urban spots.

Obama was forced to admit there was no such thing as 'shovel ready jobs'...therefore lending creedence to the LIE of Government Stim...err...ummm...PORKULUS...

Throughout the 2009 stimulus debate early in his term, President Barack Obama and other Democrats argue it was time to put America to work with the aid of the government and so-called “shovel-ready jobs.” But in a startling admission in an interview with The New York Times’ White House correspondent Peter Baker, Obama said “there’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects.”

SOURCE

Forum List

Back