Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

ok then, you STFU about anything north and west of the FL state borders

your asking for FEDERAL MONEY to do this
that makes it MY BUSINESS
uh...no. the money will be spent. If not in Florida, then in Cali, or some other state.

State's rights are fine until you feel the need to mouth off about some one else's state...:lol:
and i will STILL have a right to talk about what happens to that money in THOSE states too

btw, dipshit, this is a state (yours) saying it doesnt want it
Actually, it a toad saying he doesn't want it...not the state, or its residents.

uh...no. the money will be spent. If not in Florida, then in Cali, or some other state.

State's rights are fine until you feel the need to mouth off about some one else's state...:lol:
and i will STILL have a right to talk about what happens to that money in THOSE states too

Actually, it a toad saying he doesn't want it...not the state, or its residents.
he was elected
so tough shit most of your fellow Floridians voted for him

Gov. Rick Scott rejects funding for high-speed rail - St. Petersburg Times

Florida is the third large state to reject the rail funding, joining Ohio and Wisconsin. Florida's share would have been much larger that of the other two states.

Good for Rick Scott.

No, dope - not good for Rick Scott, and not good for Florida. That money is going somewhere else if not Florida. New York immediately said that if Florida doesn't want it, New York will take it, and they will probably get it. It's been allocated and will be spent.

headshot.jpg

Sam Stein HuffPost Reporting [email protected]

White House To Rick Scott: We'll Spend Florida's High-Speed Rail Money Elsewhere

WASHINGTON -- In a bit of political hardball, the Obama administration on Wednesday said it would send $2.4 billion in stimulus money to other states should Florida Gov. Rick Scott not back down on his rejection of the federal government's national high-speed rail project.
Speaking just hours after Scott announced he was abandoning the project due to cost concerns for the state, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney relayed the president's preparedness to simply send the allocated money to other locales rather than, say, use it to lower the federal deficit.

"We think that is an unfortunate decision," Carney said. "This goes right to the essence of what we have been talking about here. There has been a lot of bipartisan support for the need to create the kind of modern infrastructure in this country that will enable us to compete. High speed rail is very much a part of that and we will make sure that that money is used elsewhere to advance the infrastructure and innovation agenda that is essential for economic growth.

"We believe that the money that is allocated for high-speed rail as part of the Recovery Act is essential to the infrastructure agenda that this president has," Carney added later. "Again, it is part of the president's priority and it is essential to us to build an infrastructure that allows us to compete in the 21st Century."

Carney's posture, delivered during his inaugural briefing, isn't the first time that the specter of one state building its own high-speed rail system on another state's dime has been raised. Shortly after Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wisc.) took office he declined to accept federal money for Wisconsin's rail system upgrades. Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-N.Y.) responded quickly by affirming that New York would gladly take the un-cashed checks.

All of which has caused Democrats in Florida to lash back at their newly elected governor for his conservative braggadocio.

"It's eating our seed corn," said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), referencing the colloquialism that when times are tough, and one is hungry, you're supposed to plant seeds for crop, not eat them.

Republican Fl. Gov. Rick Scott angers Republicans over refusing to accept high speed rail money

U.S. Rep. John Mica, R-Winter Park, who chairs the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and is as far right as a Tea Party politician can be, said this about Scott's decision:
"I am deeply disappointed," said U.S. Rep. John Mica, a Republican whose district reaches from Orlando to the Atlantic Coast, where the rail service could have been expanded. "This is a huge setback for the state of Florida, our transportation, economic development, and important tourism industry."
In one fell swoop, Scott has helped reelect Democratic Senator Bill Nelson and restricted Florida's competitive balance as a state.

This is what happens when you elect amateurs and morons to the Governorship. Rick Scott is an unindicted felon, and belongs in jail.

he was elected

Well, actually, the Republican-controlled Senate has said they wanted it.

I'm not sure what the House has said yet.

Florida is the third large state to reject the rail funding, joining Ohio and Wisconsin. Florida's share would have been much larger that of the other two states.

Good for Rick Scott.

No, dope - not good for Rick Scott, and not good for Florida. That money is going somewhere else if not Florida. New York immediately said that if Florida doesn't want it, New York will take it, and they will probably get it. It's been allocated and will be spent.

headshot.jpg

White House To Rick Scott: We'll Spend Florida's High-Speed Rail Money Elsewhere

WASHINGTON -- In a bit of political hardball, the Obama administration on Wednesday said it would send $2.4 billion in stimulus money to other states should Florida Gov. Rick Scott not back down on his rejection of the federal government's national high-speed rail project.
Speaking just hours after Scott announced he was abandoning the project due to cost concerns for the state, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney relayed the president's preparedness to simply send the allocated money to other locales rather than, say, use it to lower the federal deficit.

"We think that is an unfortunate decision," Carney said. "This goes right to the essence of what we have been talking about here. There has been a lot of bipartisan support for the need to create the kind of modern infrastructure in this country that will enable us to compete. High speed rail is very much a part of that and we will make sure that that money is used elsewhere to advance the infrastructure and innovation agenda that is essential for economic growth.

"We believe that the money that is allocated for high-speed rail as part of the Recovery Act is essential to the infrastructure agenda that this president has," Carney added later. "Again, it is part of the president's priority and it is essential to us to build an infrastructure that allows us to compete in the 21st Century."

Carney's posture, delivered during his inaugural briefing, isn't the first time that the specter of one state building its own high-speed rail system on another state's dime has been raised. Shortly after Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wisc.) took office he declined to accept federal money for Wisconsin's rail system upgrades. Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-N.Y.) responded quickly by affirming that New York would gladly take the un-cashed checks.

All of which has caused Democrats in Florida to lash back at their newly elected governor for his conservative braggadocio.

"It's eating our seed corn," said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), referencing the colloquialism that when times are tough, and one is hungry, you're supposed to plant seeds for crop, not eat them.
Better plan, do away with the thought of high speed rail all together.....It's a fucking joke. And it will be a bigger fucking joke watching the really really really fast trains speeding by with ten passengers on 'em. Basically, Joe Biden with his family on 'em.

The government can't run slow speed trains, and the fools out there think they're going to run high speed trains.

he was elected

I think the residents of Florida have voted high speed rail down more than once. I don't know which Florida you live in but it's true of the one I live in.. Tough shit rabid.

Good for Rick Scott.

headshot.jpg

Better plan, do away with the thought of high speed rail all together.....It's a fucking joke. And it will be a bigger fucking joke watching the really really really fast trains speeding by with ten passengers on 'em. Basically, Joe Biden with his family on 'em.

The government can't run slow speed trains, and the fools out there think they're going to run high speed trains.[/QUOTE]

They're called idiots, aka democrats.

Republican Fl. Gov. Rick Scott angers Republicans over refusing to accept high speed rail money

U.S. Rep. John Mica, R-Winter Park, who chairs the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and is as far right as a Tea Party politician can be, said this about Scott's decision:
"I am deeply disappointed," said U.S. Rep. John Mica, a Republican whose district reaches from Orlando to the Atlantic Coast, where the rail service could have been expanded. "This is a huge setback for the state of Florida, our transportation, economic development, and important tourism industry."
In one fell swoop, Scott has helped reelect Democratic Senator Bill Nelson and restricted Florida's competitive balance as a state.

This is what happens when you elect amateurs and morons to the Governorship. Rick Scott is an unindicted felon, and belongs in jail.

sucks to be a loser democrat donut?

This is going to be an interesting dynamic.

Scott was elected as an outsider who pissed off much of the state's Republican establishment going after McCollum the way he did. During the election, many Republicans jumped back on board the bandwagon since they had a vested interest in getting as many Republicans elected statewide as they could. He has also been splashing around money here in Tallahassee hiring old Republican hands as aides. However, the local pols have no allegiance to him whatsoever. In fact, there is some resentment towards him due to the way he acted in the primaries. So, unlike Jeb Bush who was popular in the party establishment, the local Republicans will go along with him if they think it is politically expedient to do so. But if they feel it is in their own political interests to do so, they'll drop Scott like a hot rock, which they never would have with Bush. I think Scott is probably right in his decision but my guess is that rejecting funding will be unpopular amongst the state's electorate in general, so it will be interesting to see how the Republican state Senators and Congressmen work with Scott in the upcoming session.

he was elected

I think the residents of Florida have voted high speed rail down more than once. I don't know which Florida you live in but it's true of the one I live in.. Tough shit rabid.

They did at least once.

November 2004 Florida HSR Constitutional Amendment Repealed

Florida voters repeal the high speed rail amendment. The fiscal impact statement with the repeal amendment estimates the state cost savings from between $20 to $25 billion during a 30 year period.

Prominent opponents note lack of federal financial support for HSR. FDOT’s current estimates, based upon engineering design and analysis, the Tampa-Orlando-Miami corridor will cost approximately $13 billion to build, with more than 80 percent of these funds coming from the federal rail program.

History - Florida High Speed Rail

he was elected

They did at least once.

November 2004 Florida HSR Constitutional Amendment Repealed

Florida voters repeal the high speed rail amendment. The fiscal impact statement with the repeal amendment estimates the state cost savings from between $20 to $25 billion during a 30 year period.

Prominent opponents note lack of federal financial support for HSR. FDOT’s current estimates, based upon engineering design and analysis, the Tampa-Orlando-Miami corridor will cost approximately $13 billion to build, with more than 80 percent of these funds coming from the federal rail program.

History - Florida High Speed Rail

And, ya know what I heard on Fox News Today? Fox News the best and most useful source of News in America??? That China is very much regretting their investment in "high speed rail".

The Orlando-Tampa line. Around 100 miles...a high speed rail would cut the average commute time by car by 30 minutes....the cost of gas driving 30 minutes at 65 mile per hour? Lets say you have an average vehicle, 20 mpg., 32.5 miles = 1.5 gallons of gas, less than $6, a ticket for a comparable train ride now, between Washington DC and Philadelphia, a trip of 140 miles, on Acela is between $67 and $102. So lets take $50 dollars as a price point, hell make it $40. I can drive for 5 gallons of gas at a cost of roughly $15 and take a half hour longer but have the freedom of my vehicle, leaving when I want or pay the extra $25 ?

And to be fair, you may have to pay for parking...$10...$15 maxxxxxx?

Will the public ride it enough to make it a viable self sppting. Service? I very seriously doubt it.

Some interesting tidbits......reposted-

Rail buffs argue that subsidies for passenger service simply offset the huge government support of highways and airways. The subsidies "level the playing field." Wrong. In 2004, the Department of Transportation evaluated federal transportation subsidies for the period 1990-2002. It found passenger rail service had the highest subsidy ($186.35 per thousand passenger-miles) followed by mass transit ($118.26 per thousand miles). By contrast, drivers received no net subsidy; their fuel taxes more than covered federal spending. Subsidies for airline passengers were about $5 per thousand miles traveled. (All figures are in inflation-adjusted year 2000 dollars.)

High-speed rail would transform Amtrak's small drain into a much larger drain. Once built, high-speed rail systems would face a dilemma. To recoup initial capital costs -- construction and train purchases -- ticket prices would have to be set so high that few people would choose rail. But lower prices, even with favorable passenger loads, might not cover costs. Government would be stuck with huge subsidies. Even without recovering capital costs, high-speed rail systems would probably run in the red. Most mass-transit systems, despite high ridership, routinely have deficits.

RealClearPolitics - The Enemies of Good Government

And

Even California, that famous incubator of pipedreams, is having second thoughts. The state has proposed an 800-mile high-speed rail plan from San Diego to San Francisco. Bay area residents are now protesting that the line will damage property values, while Central Valley farmers complain the line will ruin their land. The greater wonder is how the state will pay for a $43 billion train even as it's facing a $28 billion budget gap over the next 18 months and $20 billion annual deficits four years after that.

Two years ago California taxpayers approved a $9.95 billion bond initiative to fund the train, buying the pitch that it would create hundreds of thousands of jobs and attract 94 million riders. The state's high-speed rail authority told voters a one-way ticket from San Francisco to Los Angeles would cost $55—about the price of a Southwest flight. They said private equity firms were dying to invest, and that the train would operate without a public subsidy.

Snip-

The only area of the United States where high-speed rail begins to make sense is along the high-traffic, high-population Northeast Corridor from Washington, D.C., to Boston. Amtrak's Acela peaks at 150 miles per hour but averages only about 70 miles per hour because it has to share tracks with other trains. A truly high-speed rail that runs on its own dedicated track could reach 220 mph and cut the travel time nearly in half.

More at-
Review & Outlook: Runaway Trains - WSJ.com

Exactly. If there is a market demand for these things private industry would have done it, or woud be seeking investors.

All this si is trying to spend our way out of debt for what? Temporary jobs? Another losing proposition as AMTRAK?

Temporary? This could take a generation and then be ongoing work for a lot of people.

If congress ever starts thinking about jobs rather than how big and hard they can screw working people, they might actually earn their own keep.
sorry, that was the congress that got booted out on their ASS last election

btw, this story has ZERO to do with congress

They did huh,we still control the senate and white house you freaks!!!

Temporary? This could take a generation and then be ongoing work for a lot of people.

If congress ever starts thinking about jobs rather than how big and hard they can screw working people, they might actually earn their own keep.
sorry, that was the congress that got booted out on their ASS last election

btw, this story has ZERO to do with congress

They did huh,we still control the senate and white house you freaks!!!
but not as much as you did before the last election, FREAK

with all the stops this train will have to make
it wont be much faster
going by car would still be faster
When is the last time you drove I4 from Tampa to Orlando, exactly?
it would only take an hour and a half

Until you get East of Disney. From then on into Downtown, the last 8 miles or so, it is an hour drive minimum and that is on a good day.

Immie

Forum List

Back