GOP Anti-Constitution?

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
I think by now it must be clear republicans are simply hypocrites when it comes to the US Constitution.

'House GOP Rejects Requirement That PATRIOT Act Surveillances Be Conducted in Compliance With Constitution'

by John Nichols

"Less than a month after making a show of reading the U.S. Constitution into the Congressional Record, the leaders of the Republican-controlled U.S. House engineered a vote to extend the surveillance authorities that both the Bush and Obama administrations have used to conduct “roving surveillance” of communications, to collect and examine business records and to target individuals who are not tied to terrorist groups for surveillance." House GOP Rejects Requirement That PATRIOT Act Surveillances Be Conducted in Compliance With Constitution | Common Dreams

I think by now it must be clear republicans are simply hypocrites when it comes to the US Constitution.

'House GOP Rejects Requirement That PATRIOT Act Surveillances Be Conducted in Compliance With Constitution'

by John Nichols

"Less than a month after making a show of reading the U.S. Constitution into the Congressional Record, the leaders of the Republican-controlled U.S. House engineered a vote to extend the surveillance authorities that both the Bush and Obama administrations have used to conduct “roving surveillance” of communications, to collect and examine business records and to target individuals who are not tied to terrorist groups for surveillance." House GOP Rejects Requirement That PATRIOT Act Surveillances Be Conducted in Compliance With Constitution | Common Dreams

It is not Unconstitutional. Pretty simple concept.

You leftoids keep telling us that because the Supreme Court ruled women have a right to privacy that legalized and made Constitutional Abortion. Well the Court has either ruled on this or found no cause to rule on it. Making it CONSTITUTIONAL.

You should warm up before stretching that far. We wouldn't want you to pull a muscle.

What a moronic claim. Seriously.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
Constitutional rights were already plenty eroded thanks to the War on Drugs AND the laws written to help rid the USA of organized crime. (RICO laws).

The Patriot Act is just icing on that cake.

• Thanks
If both parties became constitutional what would they have to run on?
It would harm the Dems much more so than the repubs. The left would not be able to say in their campaigns - if elected I will get this for your or that for you or do this or that for you. :)

The privacy issue and thus what surveilance can or can't be done without a warrant or probably cause depends on what is meant specifically by the word 'search' in the 4th ammendment. Does search in some way equate to privacy? Can an unreasonable search be defined as, for example, someone starring in your bedroom window? Or is it something that simply applies to law enforcement? Wire taps, surveilance, search warrants, they are all basically ways of observing people. Do you have the right to not be watched?

I'm not sure a right to privacy can be implied there simply because privacy is not neccessary for one to exercise their freedom. You may not want someone perv peering across the way but nothing other than your own psychoogical apprehension prevents you from taking an action as a result. Not sure what I think about it really, but what is for certain is that privacy is not neccessary for one to exercise their freedom.

Isn't this the same patriot Act that a Democrat congress passed a few years back? And don't the Democrats still control the Senate that passed it this week?

by John Nichols

though I agree with you on two points, I don't see a Constitutional Problem. We would have been better off, had Privacy been viewed as both an Unalienable and Constitutional Right, in many ways, it is not. I would support Strengthening Individual Liberties, that is the core of our Value as a Nation.

These Powers do seem to have Constitutional Authority, be it legitimate or an abuse of Power. Tyranny was perceived as a Threat since conception, that has not changed for the better. I'd support an Overhaul of those Powers, Oversight, Transparency, and Accountability, as Qualification for Extraordinary Powers.

Check out This Site.....

Let the Sun Set on PATRIOT - Section 206:
"Roving Surveillance Authority Under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978"
In March 2006, the sunsetting provisions were renewed. Read here for analysis.
What Section 206 Does
Imagine that the FBI could, with a single search warrant, raid every house or office that an individual suspect has visited over an entire year - every single place, whether or not the residents themselves are suspects. Suppose that the FBI could do this without ever having to identify the suspect in question. This is what Section 206 allows in the communications context. Section 206 authorizes intelligence investigators to conduct "John Doe" roving surveillance - meaning that the FBI can wiretap every single phone line, mobile communications device or Internet connection that a suspect might be using, without ever having to identify the suspect by name. This gives the FBI a "blank check" to violate the communications privacy of countless innocent Americans. What\'s worse, these blank-check wiretap orders can remain in effect for up to a year.

How Section 206 Changed the Law
Section 206 amended the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) so that a wiretap order issued by the secret FISA court no longer has to specify what type of communications that the order applies to. This allows investigators to engage in "roving" surveillance, using a single wiretap order to listen in on any phone line or monitor any Internet account that a suspect may be using - whether or not other people who are not suspects also regularly use it.

Why Section 206 Should Sunset
Roving wiretaps are allowed in regular criminal investigations, so it might seem reasonable that the PATRIOT Act made them available to intelligence investigators. But FISA wiretaps lack many of the safeguards that prevent abuse of criminal wiretaps. For example, orders are issued using a lower legal standard than the "probable cause" used in criminal cases, are subject to substantially less judicial oversight and typically last at least three times longer than criminal wiretaps. Surveillance targets are never notified that they were spied on. Most important, and also unlike criminal wiretaps, the FISA court can issue "John Doe" wiretaps that don\'t even specify the surveillance target\'s name.

The bottom line: further relaxing controls on FISA surveillance by adding roving capability is a recipe for abuse and likely violates the Fourth Amendment\'s requirement that search warrants "particularly describ[e] the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

EFF: Sunset Section 206

• Thanks
I love how the TP Caucus neoconized so rapidly.

I love the way you lump the TP in with the rest of the Republicans and start screaming about what they have or have not done.... they've been in congress for a few weeks. Wasn't one of the complaints that we didn't give Obama time before we criticized him? Pot. Kettle. Black.

by John Nichols

Your post did bring to mind how they read the the Constitution no doubt due to the new TP contingent. They also read the new and improved version AOT the original. Lastly, they skipped-over some parts too.

Last edited:

by John Nichols

That post would make more sense if you called the Democrats on the same thing.

While I agree, it is the republicans today who use the Constitution as a big stick whenever some complex issue comes up.

"The same right-wingers who happily accepted George W. Bush’s shift toward a police state – his claims of limitless executive power, warrantless wiretaps, repudiation of habeas corpus, redefining cruel and unusual punishment, suppression of dissent, creation of massive databases on citizens, arbitrary no-fly lists, and endless overseas wars – have now reinvented themselves as brave protectors of American liberty." Robert Parry We're Headed for a Major Battle with the Tea Party Crowd over the Constitution Itself | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet

>

Last edited:

by John Nichols

I wonder how many court orders Obama is currently in contempt with? How many federal rulings is he ignoring? How many ways has he gone around the constitution during the last couple of years? How many rights has he stepped on to pass his legislation? Leave it up to him and we won't be able take a crap without his say-so, so don't start preaching at me about the GOP.

While I agree, it is the republicans today who use the Constitution as a big stick whenever some complex issue comes up.

"The same right-wingers who happily accepted George W. Bush’s shift toward a police state – his claims of limitless executive power, warrantless wiretaps, repudiation of habeas corpus, redefining cruel and unusual punishment, suppression of dissent, creation of massive databases on citizens, arbitrary no-fly lists, and endless overseas wars – have now reinvented themselves as brave protectors of American liberty." Robert Parry We're Headed for a Major Battle with the Tea Party Crowd over the Constitution Itself | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet

>

In other words, I am right but you are a partisan hack. The people who are making the fuss now were not in office and did not vote for the PATRIOT Act, unlike the Democrats who are now posturing for their base.

Last edited:

>

Seemed like a police state when 43 was in office. I remember when protesters were relegated to being blocks away and cordoned off in some kind of box.
I also remember when wire-taps became public. They then stopped doing them didn't they?

Last edited:
Get some perspective "hussein family portrait". Lincoln suspended the Constitution while Grant was terrorizing civilians in the South during the Civil War. Democrat president Woodrow Wilson made it a crime to criticize the US in the "sedition act" during WW1. Democrat FDR placed American citizens behind barbed wire because of the color of their skins during WW2 and took over the media under one of his "alphabet" programs. Harry Truman and the democrat congress held HUAC hearings uncovering suspected Communists. Surveillance on suspected terrorists? Don't make me laugh.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back