Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

Whether I agree with it or not; at least he's putting his convictions into ACTION rather than claiming to be against it and taking the money anyway. That's something I can admire, either way.

Good for him.
High speed rail means private citizens are going to lose some or perhaps all of their land in order to put the rail tracks down.
Not only that but we can't afford it. These things always cost more than they ever project in spending.

Last edited:
As my wife and I were watching the new this morning this subject came up and my wife asked: "AmTrak looses money and apparently people don't use it much. Why would High Speed Rail be any different?"

Good for him. He avoided an expensive maintenance headache for his state.

I live in Florida, first of all, we dont need high speed rail, we need jobs for almost a million residents! and we aren't that dumb! where does Obama get his estimates on the cost of a High Speed Rail? From Senator Stuart Smalley? And whats the point of a high speed rail in a state with 12% Unemployment? you can create alot of jobs with those Billions that were about to go to waist on that project!
You should post this under Politics, you would get alot of responses!

As my wife and I were watching the new this morning this subject came up and my wife asked: "AmTrak looses money and apparently people don't use it much. Why would High Speed Rail be any different?"

It's a pet peeve of VP Joe Biden's that's why. :eusa_shhh:

I live in Florida, first of all, we dont need high speed rail, we need jobs for almost a million residents! and we aren't that dumb! where does Obama get his estimates on the cost of a High Speed Rail? From Senator Stuart Smalley? And whats the point of a high speed rail in a state with 12% Unemployment? you can create alot of jobs with those Billions that were about to go to waist on that project!

First of all Rick Scott has been meeting with private-sector business people about potentially investing in the high speed rails. It was about a month ago when he met with business people from Japan over it. So no he's not against high speed rail-he's against federal funding for it.

Gov. Scott meets with Japanese Foreign Minister to discuss high-speed rail

Now why would a high speed rail be good for our state? Well our economy is obviously dependent on tourism. Sales tax alone from them brings in TONS of cash to the state, and allows us nice benefits-we don't cringe as much as others on these boards when it's time to pay our income taxes.

Now the high speed rail would make it easy for tourists to get around to different areas of the state. A tourist in Orlando might not get down to Miami, or Tampa-but with a high speed rail system, they'd be much more likely to. Therefore they'd spend more money-and in different areas of the state-boosting our economy.

Our state's economy is different from other states-and has to be viewed as such.

First of all Rick Scott has been meeting with private-sector business people about potentially investing in the high speed rails. It was about a month ago when he met with business people from Japan over it. So no he's not against high speed rail-he's against federal funding for it.

Gov. Scott meets with Japanese Foreign Minister to discuss high-speed rail

Now why would a high speed rail be good for our state? Well our economy is obviously dependent on tourism. Sales tax alone from them brings in TONS of cash to the state, and allows us nice benefits-we don't cringe as much as others on these boards when it's time to pay our income taxes.

Now the high speed rail would make it easy for tourists to get around to different areas of the state. A tourist in Orlando might not get down to Miami, or Tampa-but with a high speed rail system, they'd be much more likely to. Therefore they'd spend more money-and in different areas of the state-boosting our economy.

Our state's economy is different from other states-and has to be viewed as such.

I live down her in Florida also and agree that a Statwide high speed rail would be a good thing for the tourist trade. We have plenty of that. It would be nice to visit all parts of the State and not take hours to drive there.

The Japanese say they would foot 60% of the cost so thats even better.

Gov Scott is supposed to be visiting Japan to speak with folks. We could sure use jobs what with the Space program closing down.

I for one will be hoping he is successfull.

How many people realize that the people of Florida thru a balloot measure approved high speed rail years ago and Jeb Bush killed it against the democratic choice?

How many people realize that the people of Florida thru a balloot measure approved high speed rail years ago and Jeb Bush killed it against the democratic choice?

The people of Florida then voted against funding it, in all fairness. It was even on the ballot this past election-and lost.

Gov. Rick Scott rejects funding for high-speed rail - St. Petersburg Times

Florida is the third large state to reject the rail funding, joining Ohio and Wisconsin. Florida's share would have been much larger that of the other two states.

Good for Rick Scott.

He must have some brains if he is against letting the government run another rail system in this country...just look to AMTRACK for why I say this (hint amtrack is a money losing operation funded by our tax dollars)

your wife is dumb.

amtrak is not high-speed, and still some people use it.

right now you can take a train from st. louis to chicago - a 6 hour trip - for about $40. It cousts 6 to 7 times that to fly - but the flight only takes one hour. of course, you need to get to the airport an hour before hand for security - and you get the 'pleasure' of going through all of that so really you're saving only about 4 hours tops.

now what if the train made the trip in 3.5 hours? would avoiding airport security and saving hundreds of dollars be worth your 90 minutes? it would be for a lot of people.

Gov. Rick Scott rejects funding for high-speed rail - St. Petersburg Times

Florida is the third large state to reject the rail funding, joining Ohio and Wisconsin. Florida's share would have been much larger that of the other two states.

Good for Rick Scott.

He must have some brains if he is against letting the government run another rail system in this country...just look to AMTRACK for why I say this (hint amtrack is a money losing operation funded by our tax dollars)
Everything the gov't. gets its fingers into is a failure.Wait till obamacare takes affect!

2011-02-15-humor-toon2.jpg

your wife is dumb.

amtrak is not high-speed, and still some people use it.

right now you can take a train from st. louis to chicago - a 6 hour trip - for about $40. It cousts 6 to 7 times that to fly - but the flight only takes one hour. of course, you need to get to the airport an hour before hand for security - and you get the 'pleasure' of going through all of that so really you're saving only about 4 hours tops.

now what if the train made the trip in 3.5 hours? would avoiding airport security and saving hundreds of dollars be worth your 90 minutes? it would be for a lot of people.

How's that Amtrak budget working out? You D
U M b

Forum List

Back