GOP Congressman Associating with Obama is 'Touching a Tar Baby'

"LAMBORN: Even if some people say "well, the Republicans should have done this, or should have done that," they will hold the President responsible. Now, I don't even want to be associated with him, it's like touching a, a tar baby and you get it...you know you're stuck and you're part of the problem and you can't get away."

He even explicitly states the exact meaning of the term.

:lmao:

Who the hell uses the term tar baby for anything but a racial slur anymore? I've never heard it being used in another manner but as a slur.

I guess this will go unanswered by those defending the Congressman.
I've never heard it used as a racial slur.

Of course, I've not heard it used in several years - since I moved from the Midwest - but when I have heard it used, it is used in exactly the non-slang manner that it means - it's a problem that is so strong that even if one touches it, they are sucked into it, becoming part of the problem.

Well I love that story for a couple reasons....my second grade teacher used to read The Uncle Remus stories to us (burbs north of Chicago), and I'm a Disneyaholic and Splash Mountain is my favorite ride. Anyway, I'm not sure I've ever used the term "tar baby", but have often said, "Please, oh please, don't throw me in the briar patch" to use reverse psychology when I'm goofing with someone.:D

And, I guess when a congressman says the budget is sick, that means it's awesome.

Or, if they say it's too fat, it's too awesome.

That's being a bit disingenuous, there's a big difference between slang and what's going on with that word. You yourself even admitted you haven't heard it in years.

I've seen it's usage on USMB several times to say the least over the years. And you can probably guess how many of those times it's been used as a racial slur.

I guess this will go unanswered by those defending the Congressman.
I've never heard it used as a racial slur.

Of course, I've not heard it used in several years - since I moved from the Midwest - but when I have heard it used, it is used in exactly the non-slang manner that it means - it's a problem that is so strong that even if one touches it, they are sucked into it, becoming part of the problem.

Well I love that story for a couple reasons....my second grade teacher used to read The Uncle Remus stories to us (burbs north of Chicago), and I'm a Disneyaholic and Splash Mountain is my favorite ride. Anyway, I'm not sure I've ever used the term "tar baby", but have often said, "Please, oh please, don't throw me in the briar patch" to use reverse psychology when I'm goofing with someone.:D
Hell, I heard it in grad school. A friend intended on doing research to refute the mechanism of a reaction that was proposed by a huge-name chemist in Japan. In our meeting discussing research direction, the adviser called trying to refute that mechanism a tar baby. The Japanese chemist is a huge name in chemistry.

(We went ahead with it anyway. My friend was right, too.)

"LAMBORN: Even if some people say "well, the Republicans should have done this, or should have done that," they will hold the President responsible. Now, I don't even want to be associated with him, it's like touching a, a tar baby and you get it...you know you're stuck and you're part of the problem and you can't get away."

It's a double entrende. No shock that it's eluding you.

Disney never has released Song of the South on home video. I wonder why. :eusa_whistle:

I saw it.

Apparently the concept of a double entendre is beyond your comprehension.

I have said

Those looking for offense will find it.

I was referring to you.

Those looking to cover up racism run static. I'm looking at you and a few others.

Focker is watching us.:lol:

im-watching-you-focker.jpg

And, I guess when a congressman says the budget is sick, that means it's awesome.

Or, if they say it's too fat, it's too awesome.

That's being a bit disingenuous, there's a big difference between slang and what's going on with that word. You yourself even admitted you haven't heard it in years.

I've seen it's usage on USMB several times to say the least over the years. And you can probably guess how many of those times it's been used as a racial slur.
I haven't and since the last time I heard it was 2003 and that was the last time I resided in the Midwest, I'm assuming those east of the Appalachians are waaaaaay too sensitive. Who knows? But, this is quite a meltdown.

If one is speaking slang, then the term is offensive. I don't argue that.

When one is not speaking slang, the term has a specific meaning. And, when one uses the term and specifically states the exact meaning of it in the same sentence, it's pretty clear that they MEANT the non-slang meaning of the word.

It's not rocket science.

Disney never has released Song of the South on home video. I wonder why. :eusa_whistle:

Because it's not all sunshine and rainbows??:dunno: :lmao: Perhaps my teacher was a closet racist subjecting us to those stories....but I still enjoy them.:eusa_shhh:

And the obvious is beyond you. He even stated the meaning for the dense. Yeah, that would be you.

:lol:

And the obvious is beyond you. He even stated the meaning for the dense. Yeah, that would be you.

If you buy that as his sole intent all the power to you.

It makes you a sick fuck but whatev.

Par for the course here.

If you buy that as his sole intent all the power to you.

It makes you a sick fuck but whatev.

Par for the course here.
Dare I ask you to think about something?

Yeah, I will, but I'll warn you up front; I'll be obvious, too. So, brace yourself for that.

If someone were to use a double entendre, they would not provide the exact meaning they meant.

I know - obvious. But, I did warn you.

Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby: From Brer Rabbit at Americanfolklore.net

Fox response:

This is the headline FOX uses in response to a Congressman co... on Twitpic

"Colorado Rep Lamborn's 'Tar Baby' Comment Riles the Left"

He has apologized. It was completely heartfelt. Norly.

Monday evening, Lamborn's office sent a news release saying he had "sent a personal letter to President Barack Obama apologizing for using a term some find insensitive." The release said Lamborn is "confident that the President will accept his heartfelt apology."

Read more: Lamborn calls Obama a "tar baby" | lamborn, obama, rep - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Perhaps the single entrende's of VP Biden ("you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean..."), Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid ("light-skinned African-American with no Negro dialect, unless he wants to have one") and Howard Dean ("You think the RNC could get this many people of color into a single room? Maybe if they got the hotel staff in there.") are all us "sick fucks" can understaand?

:confused: (shame on us)

Forum List

Back