Good teaching tool for early teaching in biology

That's really silly if you're hoping for an analogy to biological evolution. Biological organisms evolve. Nuts, bolts and aluminum do not.

On the other hand, look at the history of gods. They've evolved since the first ones were invented by humans.
The God of the Bible is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. :bowdown: Science on the other hand changes faster than I change my socks.

You shouldn't ignore what's in the fossil record. Picking and choosing is a poor way to reach conclusions. Cell division, multiplication and environmental influences are well known in the fields of biology.
Evolution flies in the face of the law of entropy.

Look what science did during Covid. Instead of focusing on and building the strength of our immune system they created drugs to 'help' our failed immune systems. Why? Because there's no profit in strong immune systems. Science can be treacherous, selling itself to the highest bidder, and not to be fully trusted.

I don't ignore it...But unlike you, I also don't ignore the contradictions.

One of the cornerstones of Darwinian evolution is the idea of mutants living long enough to procreate, when everywhere in nature the mutants are killed at birth.
That's a fundamental misunderstanding of evolutionary theory. Natural selection decides what genetic variation helps fitness, and what genetic variation hinders fitness. The entire population experiences a change in gene frequency as the fit genes become more common over time, and the unfit genes become rarer.

As natural selection continues to act on the genes (both old and new) populations can eventually reach a point where all of the old genes for a certain trait have been replaced by the newly evolved genes.

Individuals do not evolve. Populations do.

Populations have a huge amount of genetic variation for every physical trait they possess.

"The proof is in the pudding." :)

Christianity is actually a cult; strict rules, charismatic leader, exclusivity.

Precisely. You missed your chance to fly on a comet.

1661620448665.png

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of evolutionary theory. Natural selection decides what genetic variation helps fitness, and what genetic variation hinders fitness. The entire population experiences a change in gene frequency as the fit genes become more common over time, and the unfit genes become rarer.

As natural selection continues to act on the genes (both old and new) populations can eventually reach a point where all of the old genes for a certain trait have been replaced by the newly evolved genes.

Individuals do not evolve. Populations do.

Populations have a huge amount of genetic variation for every physical trait they possess.

How do you explain the disconnect between our genetic legacy and what we have become. Why are we, as Kris Kristoferson said of Johnny Cash, a "walking, talking, contradiction?"

A basic cartoon that demonstrates the basics of evolution, would be an excellent teaching tool in the early grades.

Very sad that so many Americans refuse to accept Evolution in the year 2022

Too many Americans are Science illiterate

I lived in Portland for 11 years !!!

Very sad that so many Americans refuse to accept Evolution in the year 2022

Too many Americans are Science illiterate

I lived in Portland for 11 years !!!
What does "accepting evolution" mean?

There's a rich harvest for science by keeping people science illiterate. Evolution is just a sideshow compared to how ignorant people actually are about...everything.

How do you explain the disconnect between our genetic legacy and what we have become. Why are we, as Kris Kristoferson said of Johnny Cash, a "walking, talking, contradiction?"

We have developed, as Carl Sagan described it, sentience. With that, societies developed moral codes. Take gods away tomorrow and humans would behave pretty much like they do with their various gods in place. We are a mixture of selfishness and cooperation and it serves us pretty well. Most people do behave morally, often in spite of the teachings of their gods.

. We are a mixture of selfishness and cooperation and it serves us pretty well.
We are a mixture and good and evil, and it doesn't serve us very well at all. Sadly, we don't understand either. We allow drunk drivers to drive after multiple arrests for DUI, until they finally kill someone.

"Well, he hasn't killed anyone yet, so I guess he can continue to drive."

Prison psychologists deem certain prisoners unfit for society, then they are released into society.

Last edited:
What does "accepting evolution" mean?

There's a rich harvest for science by keeping people science illiterate. Evolution is just a sideshow compared to how ignorant people actually are about...everything.

My science background has improved from podcasts and books over the years

My favorite is the Natural World and everyday phenomials

We are a mixture and good and evil, and it doesn't serve us very well at all. Sadly, we don't understand either. We allow drunk drivers to drive after multiple arrests for DUI, until they finally kill someone.

"Well, he hasn't killed anyone yet, so I guess he can continue to drive."

Prison psychologists deem certain prisoners unfit for society, then they are released into society.
Yeah. We don't live in a utopia. In the natural world, you're little more than food for the predator that stalks you. None of that means you shouldn't live a life that is rewarding.

My science background has improved from podcasts and books over the years

My favorite is the Natural World and everyday phenomials
I'm always on the lookout for new things that are useful to me. Usually I design and make them myself.

Forum List

Back