Godless Americans

Hello Third Great Awakening...

I can't friggin wait! :doubt:

Edit: Well I'll be... According to wikipedia there's already been a third and fourth. So Hello Fifth Great Awakening! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Looks like Anguille is winning the culture war.
(CNN) -- America is a less Christian nation than it was 20 years ago, and Christianity is not losing out to other religions, but primarily to a rejection of religion altogether, a survey published Monday found.
America becoming less Christian, survey finds - CNN.com

As many atheists say: Read the bible ... please ... cover to cover, they could always use more atheists.
I saw that and found it very sad. When we need to turn to God the most it seems our country is turning away. I'm curious as to what you atheists believe in. You believe we are born and die and that is it? Or do some of you feel there is something else and you just don't prescribe to any organized religion?

As many atheists say: Read the bible ... please ... cover to cover, they could always use more atheists.
I saw that and found it very sad. When we need to turn to God the most it seems our country is turning away. I'm curious as to what you atheists believe in. You believe we are born and die and that is it? Or do some of you feel there is something else and you just don't prescribe to any organized religion?

An atheist is somebody who doesn't believe in a supernatural higher power, i.e. God or gods (not necessarily disbelief or antibelief, but non-belief at the very least). The similarities between atheists end there. Some forms of Buddhism can be called atheistic.

Personally (I don't speak for all atheists, but I am one), I believe it's important to live according to reality, even if that reality isn't what you'd like it to be. This way we can focus on treating ourselves and each other better, and making the world a better place, rather than trying to appease some imaginary friend or the people who claim to represent that imaginary friend. If there is no afterlife that we can know of, that makes this life, real life, much more important.

I love how just because I repeat an atheist proverb that often turns more true you assume I am, I follow the teaching of Bast and Anpu, thank you. No, they are not turning away from anything, they are in fact choosing to believe in things more tangible and things that have actually helped society. You forget that all we have in this world is because of science ... to embrace it is the only way to advance, religion is just to make you feel better and give you some interesting myths.

Why is it that so many can't see why people don't like chrisitian teachings as much in the US as they once use to? Really ... a teaching that tells people to stone someone for almost any reason ... a teaching that says that anyone who doesn't follow it is evil ... really ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that people would rather live and let live than be told they are damned from birth and that everything they do is evil. The true evil is brainwashing of children many religious zealots still do.

Oh, and they are not turning away from any god, they are just changing how they worship.

why is it you as a christian have the gall to assume that because one does not believe in your god..they are atheists. i do not believe in your god but i am not an athesit. yes i feel there is something else...the gods and goddess that came long before your god..if they do not exist, then why does your god feel the need to say...have no other gods before me..

An atheist is somebody who doesn't believe in a supernatural higher power, i.e. God or gods (not necessarily disbelief or antibelief, but non-belief at the very least). The similarities between atheists end there. Some forms of Buddhism can be called atheistic.

Personally (I don't speak for all atheists, but I am one), I believe it's important to live according to reality, even if that reality isn't what you'd like it to be. This way we can focus on treating ourselves and each other better, and making the world a better place, rather than trying to appease some imaginary friend or the people who claim to represent that imaginary friend. If there is no afterlife that we can know of, that makes this life, real life, much more important.

That is how this atheist feels. Until I see proof of the existence of a god and an afterlife (and if it is proof, I will have no choice but to believe), I can't believe any of that.
It would be great if there is an afterlife, but what our desires don't dictate reality. Sometimes reality just sucks. Deal with what we have and don't rely on fantasies.

why is it you as a christian have the gall to assume that because one does not believe in your god..they are atheists. i do not believe in your god but i am not an athesit. yes i feel there is something else...the gods and goddess that came long before your god..if they do not exist, then why does your god feel the need to say...have no other gods before me..

Never said you nor anyone else is an atheist because you don't believe in Jesus Christ. The Catholic Church teaches that all faiths can make it into heaven.

From what Ive seen of the statistic breakdown, the trend isnt actually as sharp as it appears.

If you break it down in decades, the 90s had most of the sharp drop. Since 2000 decline of religious affiliation has dropped to nearly nothing.

So its true it has significantly dropped since the 90s. However, its leveled off the last ten years and if we have a few more years we might even see a resurgence.

I wouldnt draw any long term conclusions with it.

The rejection of formal religion coupled with the belief that there is, or might be something to the supernatural, is not atheism.

Atheists believe there is no God, in fact they believe there is nothing supernatural.

They believe that science understands some of the natural universe, and that with time, science will be able to explain more about it.

But they believe there is nothing that is not part of the universe.

Never said you nor anyone else is an atheist because you don't believe in Jesus Christ. The Catholic Church teaches that all faiths can make it into heaven.

Since when ... the Catholics are the worst of the bunch. Most other christians are at least willing to accept the possibility of being wrong. Catholics were also the first to start killing and torturing others in other religions ... especially the witches (which is just another religion). Today they continue to work to expel all other religions from areas they are the majority.

Since when ... the Catholics are the worst of the bunch. Most other christians are at least willing to accept the possibility of being wrong. Catholics were also the first to start killing and torturing others in other religions ... especially the witches (which is just another religion). Today they continue to work to expel all other religions from areas they are the majority.

Yes Catholics have been guilty of many crimes over the past 2,000 years. So has ever religion including those that are not religious at all. The Vatican has admitted a multitude of mistakes. Today's church is different but it is made up of men and women thus not perfect. My son goes to a Catholic school where Protestants and even at least one Hindu student attends. There religions are respected. If you ask a Catholic priest that if a person practices another religion faithfully and has not been exposed to Christianity if they will be saved the answer should be yes.

Please tell us where this is taking place? In North America? In South America? In Europe? In Asia? In Africa? Please site some examples. Then compare those examples to those of Muslim aggression.

Please tell us where this is taking place? In North America? In South America? In Europe? In Asia? In Africa? Please site some examples. Then compare those examples to those of Muslim aggression.

Not all ways are violent ... just because they are not being shot doesn't make it less.

Forum List

Back