God And Politics, How far do we take Seperation of Church and State?

acludem said:
The court is actually hearing appeals of two cases on the same issue. One ruling allowed the Ten Commandments, the other did not.

That's all they do, isn't it ? Except overthrow elections for the oil Families.

acludem said:
I hope the SCOTUS will reaffirm and strengthen it's earlier decision. The Ten Commandments are inherently religious dogma and have should not be posted in government buildings except as part of historical displays.

acludem

A US Courthouse is a historical display. A living historical display of american history and tradition, it just happens to be "alive." As for religious dogma: Yup. Dogma means basic tenets, not falsehoods. The Ten Commandments are one of the foundations of Western civilization. If you were to take a look at it you'd see some pretty good advice : Don't murder, don't steal, don't screw your neighbors wife, and if you covet thy neighbors horses go get a job and earn your own livestock.

Or you could be a lawyer and take them without work.

6 of the 10 commandments are relevant and should probably be allowed in the Courthouse, perhaps restated in a non religous manner. Four of the commandments have to do with praising and how to respect GOD, not worshiping idols, etc... These have no place in the courthouse, as they are clearly religious and not ethically based.

The great country of the United States was founded upon many basic Judeo-Christian beliefs and by Christian believers. It is not to be argued that the United States should be a theocracy, because all theocracies are flawed and will fail. However, the first amendment right concerning freedom of religion was not created to protect people from God, but to protect people from the government. The first amendment clause is now used to prevent people in the public arena from calling upon God. However, when read literally, the first amendment says “Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the exercise thereof.” Therefore, to take prayer out of schools would be an infringement on my first amendment rights. In fact, to take the right of prayer or the listing of the Ten Commandments out of any public arena would be an infringement upon those rights. There could be an argument made that the Koran must be written, or that other religions must be represented wherever the Judeo-Christian religion is. This argument is a fair one, but the country was not found as a Buddhist, Muslim, or Confucian country. It was founded as a Judeo-Christian one. If you are to visit any monuments in Washington, D.C. my point would be illustrated profoundly. In a visit to the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorials, you would see that “God” is more than just a vague idea. The argument should not be made that we need to make an official affiliation with any one religion as a country. However, we are the largest predominantly Christian country in the world, and the ethics of the Judeo-Christian religion are what this country was founded upon.

YoungChristian said:
The great country of the United States was founded upon many basic Judeo-Christian beliefs and by Christian believers. It is not to be argued that the United States should be a theocracy, because all theocracies are flawed and will fail. However, the first amendment right concerning freedom of religion was not created to protect people from God, but to protect people from the government. The first amendment clause is now used to prevent people in the public arena from calling upon God. However, when read literally, the first amendment says “Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the exercise thereof.” Therefore, to take prayer out of schools would be an infringement on my first amendment rights. In fact, to take the right of prayer or the listing of the Ten Commandments out of any public arena would be an infringement upon those rights. There could be an argument made that the Koran must be written, or that other religions must be represented wherever the Judeo-Christian religion is. This argument is a fair one, but the country was not found as a Buddhist, Muslim, or Confucian country. It was founded as a Judeo-Christian one. If you are to visit any monuments in Washington, D.C. my point would be illustrated profoundly. In a visit to the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorials, you would see that “God” is more than just a vague idea. The argument should not be made that we need to make an official affiliation with any one religion as a country. However, we are the largest predominantly Christian country in the world, and the ethics of the Judeo-Christian religion are what this country was founded upon.

I think this country was founded on Aesop's fables.

YoungChristian said:
You have every right to say that the country was founded upon Aesop's fables; however, history backs me up when I say it was founded upon a strong Judeo-Christian tradition.

And having a minor in history I can back that up as well, but all you need to do Shadrac is read secular history books for proof. :read:

Bonnie said:
And having a minor in history I can back that up as well, but all you need to do Shadrac is read secular history books for proof. :read:

Well then convince me. I am completely open minded. Skeptical, but open minded.

shadrack said:
Well then convince me. I am completely open minded. Skeptical, but open minded.

Convince you of what specifically? That this country was not founded upon a fable?

Forum List

Back