God and Man

Charity doesn't have to equate money or material things. Giving back to society can come in many forms, primarily inspiration - as in inspiring others to be and do better.

Now group hug everyone. :gross2:

Jillian/Fisherking/Jeff

So this god has a huge ego that needs satiating? And so only he/she can understand her/his true greatness? In the end game, what is the whole point of his/her existance? Or ours?

Dr Grump said:
Jillian/Fisherking/Jeff

So this god has a huge ego that needs satiating? And so only he/she can understand her/his true greatness? In the end game, what is the whole point of his/her existance? Or ours?

God knows--it's our purpose to find out by following directions. Once we learn a few things it is suggested that we share them with others in order to continue the learning process. Why limit God by assuming he "thinks" in any manner that a human can comprehend ?

Dr Grump said:
Jillian/Fisherking/Jeff

You aren't listening. God is infinite; man is finite. Therefore, we ought to be in awe of God, for that reason alone. It's similar to the reason that we hold sports stars, or great actors/authors/leaders in esteem. It has nothing to do with God's ego.

As to the ability of a finite being to understand an infinite being, I don't know how much more clearly I can explain it.

What is the point of God's existence? Because God is an uncaused being, He doesn't have a purpose, per se, although He fills the role of causation of the existence of everything else in the universe.

And I've already commented on the purpose of our existence.

5stringJeff said:
You aren't listening. God is infinite; man is finite. Therefore, we ought to be in awe of God, for that reason alone. It's similar to the reason that we hold sports stars, or great actors/authors/leaders in esteem. It has nothing to do with God's ego.

As to the ability of a finite being to understand an infinite being, I don't know how much more clearly I can explain it.

What is the point of God's existence? Because God is an uncaused being, He doesn't have a purpose, per se, although He fills the role of causation of the existence of everything else in the universe.

And I've already commented on the purpose of our existence.

I'm listening all right. I just don't buy it. It makes no logical sense to me. I think god has been invented to try and explain things that we cannot explain. As time goes on, most of these things are explained - except for the really big stuff like - why are we here? Nobody knows. God, and man's interpretation of such a being, attempts to explain it, but to no avail (IMO of course)... Nothing any Christian has said to me on these boards has gotten me any closer to understanding their POV in that the reasons for a god's existence. C'est la vie I guess...

Fisherking said:
I have been amazed by the number of people who now do not accept the bible as the Word of God.
It seems that more and more are starting to believe that the Bible is flawed with time and translations.
That it is the word of man.
Does anyone still believe that the Bible is truth anymore?
Is it so far fetched to think that man could have written the Bible while under devine insperation by the Spirit of our Heavenly Father?
I dont think its so far fetched.
Some statistics show that less than half adults under 30 believe that God never existed. I hope that is exagerated.
I believe America is falling farther away from God, we have started to fall asleep, while God is saying its time to wake up.

So you believe in the Bible, that Jesus is thy Lord and Savior and so on and so forth yeah? More power to you, if said belief helps to keep you from killing thy neighbor than I think that that's swell, wonderfull, peachy keen. If you think that Christianity will provide the same kind of assistance to your children then by all means raise them Christian as well. :thup:

What is our reason for being here?
Speculation allows for any possible reason for life, to evolve into more morall; purer beings, to make life better for your offspring than it was for you, etc. There is always the possiblity that there is no reason for our existance, that our existance is an entirely random event.

Do you believe God has a purpose for mankind?
I believe in the possiblity of such a purpose, just as I believe in the possiblity of God

If so, what do you think that purpose is?
Ah the joys of being agnostic, I don't know.

Dr Grump said:
I'm listening all right. I just don't buy it. It makes no logical sense to me. I think god has been invented to try and explain things that we cannot explain. As time goes on, most of these things are explained - except for the really big stuff like - why are we here? Nobody knows. God, and man's interpretation of such a being, attempts to explain it, but to no avail (IMO of course)... Nothing any Christian has said to me on these boards has gotten me any closer to understanding their POV in that the reasons for a god's existence. C'est la vie I guess...

Perhaps the problem is the disconnect between religion, which is really nothing more than ritual designed to worship in a particular fashion, and spirituality. Religion gives a set of acceptable behaviors depending upon the religion one chooses to follow. If one asks questions and pursues the larger spiritual questions that arise from those behaviors, then perhaps we move closer to the answers. I don't think we get to figure out those things in this life, though.

jillian said:
Perhaps the problem is the disconnect between religion, which is really nothing more than ritual designed to worship in a particular fashion, and spirituality. Religion gives a set of acceptable behaviors depending upon the religion one chooses to follow. If one asks questions and pursues the larger spiritual questions that arise from those behaviors, then perhaps we move closer to the answers. I don't think we get to figure out those things in this life, though.

Do we get any hints, clues or anything ?? Can we buy vowels ?? :happy2:

jillian said:

Possibly. I'm more into the "random event" theory... :teeth:

Sorry to dredge things up, but it appears I've been away for awhile.

dilloduck said:
To claim that trying to be a giver is not a purpose is hogwash.

What are you trying to do when you give? That is your purpose, not the act of giving. People can be charitable for selfish reasons. Charity isn't a purpose, it's an action. To what end are you being charitable? That is your purpose.

It's the same thing as saying skate-boarding is your purpose. That simply isn't be the case, your purpose could infact be self-glorification, self-improvement or a myriad of other things. Your purpose is the reason, not the action you use to achieve it.

dilloduck said:
It would appear that you allow man to provide his own pupose but at the same time you discount him when he says "My purpose is to be charitable".

Yep, because Charity isn't a purpose. Man can choose anything that is a purpose as his purpose. To preempt your next question, a purpose is anything that is an end in itself. Actions aren't purposes, they are means to achieving a purpose.

rtwngAvngr said:
You don't accept charity as a purpose because of some word games.

Words mean things. When you use them improperly, I will correct you. I'm just as fallible as you in this sense, but you can't expect people to understand you when you're unclear. I take alot of stock in using the correct word.

Phaedrus said:
Sorry to dredge things up, but it appears I've been away for awhile.

What are you trying to do when you give? That is your purpose, not the act of giving. People can be charitable for selfish reasons. Charity isn't a purpose, it's an action. To what end are you being charitable? That is your purpose.

It's the same thing as saying skate-boarding is your purpose. That simply isn't be the case, your purpose could infact be self-glorification, self-improvement or a myriad of other things. Your purpose is the reason, not the action you use to achieve it.

Yep, because Charity isn't a purpose. Man can choose anything that is a purpose as his purpose. To preempt your next question, a purpose is anything that is an end in itself. Actions aren't purposes, they are means to achieving a purpose.

Words mean things. When you use them improperly, I will correct you. I'm just as fallible as you in this sense, but you can't expect people to understand you when you're unclear. I take alot of stock in using the correct word.

Sorry --tired of the semantics. If I decide my purpose is to be charitable, so shall it be.

Yo, no offense intended, your choice. I truly respect it, and simply disagree with, as you said, the "semantics."

Phaedrus said:
Yo, no offense intended, your choice. I truly respect it, and simply disagree with, as you said, the "semantics."

What does that mean, to disagree with the semantics? DO you think that sounds intelligent?

Regardless of the actual words he is using, I understand what he's getting at. I still disagree with his words, but his concept is fine. Sounding intelligent means nothing, sounding like a troll means something.

Phaedrus said:
Regardless of the actual words he is using, I understand what he's getting at. I still disagree with his words, but his concept is fine. Sounding intelligent means nothing, sounding like a troll means something.

If you got the concept, why bicker over the words? Isn't the function of words to convey concepts? SInce this end was achieved, I can't imagine what your problem is.

Forum List

Back