God and Man

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Fisherking, May 15, 2006.

1. Fisherking

Fisherking Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been amazed by the number of people who now do not accept the bible as the Word of God.
    It seems that more and more are starting to believe that the Bible is flawed with time and translations.
    That it is the word of man.
    Does anyone still believe that the Bible is truth anymore?
    Is it so far fetched to think that man could have written the Bible while under devine insperation by the Spirit of our Heavenly Father?
    I dont think its so far fetched.
    Some statistics show that less than half adults under 30 believe that God never existed. I hope that is exagerated.
    I believe America is falling farther away from God, we have started to fall asleep, while God is saying its time to wake up.
    What is our reason for being here?
    Do you believe God has a purpose for mankind?
    If so, what do you think that purpose is?

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
  3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I think FK would like a discussion with those of like mind. And that's fair enough. That's my only comment in this thread because I want to leave it alone.

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

You're approval of FK's intentions are noted. :laugh:

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Don't coddle the trolls, please. Thank you.

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Trolls are people too.

7. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I believe this quote gets to the meat of the issue, what is truth? I don't want to wax philosophical on some endless tangent, suffice it so say the Human interpretation of "Truth" (whether it exists or not) is subjective.

A basic question you have to ask yourself IMHO, is whether the Bible is truth, or reveals truth? Are these mutually exclusive? Do other people think they are? What truth are you looking for? Does searching preclude finding?

I ask questions that follow my own line of thought because I try not to impose my own answers/beliefs on others. Hopefully a different perspective will help clarify things for you. Thats why I come to these boards at least.

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    FK, I am a Bible-believing Christian, and I understand where you're coming from. But to answer the last two questions in your OP:
    What is our reason for being here? "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." (Eccl. 12:13)

9. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Whether God has a purpose for mankind or not, I believe man's own purpose is inherently different. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle, contrary to popular belief, does not point to chaos ruling over all, simply to degree of ignorance mankind cannot supersede.

Whether there is actually destiny/fate or choice/free will, I know I am because I choose to. It’s an example of faith, and I’m ok with that. And because I know I am, why would I act as anybody but myself in terms of purpose? How else do you expect me to act? If this concurs with some divine plan, so be it. ;)

That said, I will do what I choose to because I can. People all too often say they cannot, when it’s simply a question of consequences. It is far more accurate to say I will not because I fear the consequences. There are very few bounds on our existence. All too few some might say.

If you asked me God's purpose for mankind, there are two interpretations. Either to return to him or to be. In the first case, it’s question of loyalty/purity, in the second, a question of fulfillment/happiness. To go back to Plato’s age old quandary, does God’s love make something pious, or does God love it for its piety?

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Jesus stated very plainly that mans' purpose is to be charitable.