Go Back In Time to Witness ONE Historical Event...

What Us historical event would you like to have witnessed?

• Gettysburg Address

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signing of Declaration of Indepencence

• Wright Brothers Flight

• Woodstock

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A Presidential Inauguration

• Other (no disasters/tragedies.. next poll....)

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
I was at Kennedy's inauguration, and Johnson's.

I was at Woodstock.

It would be cool to hitchhike on Apollo 11 and the lander.

It would have been cool to be in Berlin when the GERMAN PEOPLE tore down The Wall. To my knowledge, neither Reagan nor Gorbachev had anything to do with it.

It's interesting that sporting events came up....

I guess really I would have liked to seen Grant and Lee at the end of the civil war or Lincoln giving the Gettysburg address..... I'm really not a historical person, but..... I also would have loved to have a day of living in the 50's like American Graffiti portrays... driving up and down the strip, going to burger joints and the like....

The one great lack of historians, might be their inability, time or room to put on the pages of their book how the people felt at a given time about an event? An historian might devote a page or two in his book explaining the plight of the Okies during the Great Depression, but can the historian give the reader a real glimpse of what the episode was like? Perhaps it takes a fiction writer such as Steinbeck to bring that portion of history closer to reality, but I wonder if even that conveys to the reader the reality of what the people were feeling? It is one of the shortfalls of history. Perhaps a picture can, at times, cause the reader to see an historical event in a truer light?

I'd like to see the Enchantment Under the Sea dance at Hill Valley High School, November 12, 1955. Marvin Berry and the Starlighters sang there

685510f.jpg

Last edited:
I can think of a few.
The final breaching of the walls of Constantinople in 1453.

The great London fire in 1666.

Somewhere in Europe in 1346 when the Great Plague killed a third of the population.

Any day in Tikal in the mid 6th century, to see why the city was abandoned.

Seeing Day 2 of Gettysburg.

Forum List

Back