Democratic-Republican Party and a Man Named Beckely

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Why did historians for so long credit Jefferson for the works and deeds of Beckely? What is sadder is that if people only know how to do 'research' on the web they may never run across history's corrections.

So...

ask away

He was just the hired help. Jefferson was an effective propagandist himself, as proven by his polemics written before Beckely came along.

Why do historians largely ignore his carriage driver, or his gardener?

Picaro
He was just the hired help. Jefferson was an effective propagandist himself, as proven by his polemics written before Beckely came along.

Why do historians largely ignore his carriage driver, or his gardener?
Actually, later historians have revisited and there are tons of documents that suggest Beckley did most of the work before Jefferson came along. Good Ole Tom the failed Nailman, was a failure on so many levels. He may have been a brilliant polymath, but my ow opinion is he is more a Mister Magoo than a Mr Smith gone to Washington.

one excerpt:

Indeed, the Secretary of state's first clear-cut opposition to a Hamilton measure came in the form of an opinion, which Washington had requested, on the constitutionality of the bill to establish the Bank of the United States. Jefferson had no part at all in stirring up widespread public sentiment against Funding, Assumption, the Excise -- measures already agitating opinion before the /bank was even mentioned. If we recall the alarm at Hamilton's measures felt by some of to=hose nearest him, we need not suppose any organized group to have been behind much of the public opposition to them. - The Origins of the American Party System - Joseph Charles

Do you know anything about "Funding, Assumption, the Excise"? For these were the things that set the stage for the road that Americans forming the American party system finally went down. One thing to realize is when Madison and others were arguing about the corrupting influence of factions and parties, political parties as we understand them did NOT even exist.

As far as Jefferson being such a great polemicist and Beckley being mere hired help: It is the writings of John Adams (Discourses on Davila) that were popular in England and the colonies. Then you have Burke and Paine writing in England. It is in 1791 that "the first copy of the Rights of Man appear in Philadelphia." - Charles Joseph Note that it was a copy sent from England to Beckley, who lent it to Jefferson. Beckley had attended Eton. He was more than adequate to stand toe to toe with anyone of the most famous founders.

Why did historians for so long credit Jefferson for the works and deeds of Beckely? What is sadder is that if people only know how to do 'research' on the web they may never run across history's corrections.

So...

ask away
Wow....you are sooo much smarter than anyone I've ever seen on this ste

Perhaps your own cantankerous recluse servant in your 2 story library deserves the credit for how smar you are, just like Beckley

So...

ask away

Perhaps your own cantankerous recluse servant in your 2 story library deserves the credit for how smar you are, just like Beckley
I guess coming from somebody with such a ridiculously trollish screen name, I should take your first comment as a compliment of sorts. :redface:

I'm sorry. Do you take offense at having been exposed as a dime-store historian and failed academic? :poke:

So...

ask away

I guess coming from somebody with such a ridiculously trollish screen name, I should take your first comment as a compliment of sorts. :redface:

I'm sorry. Do you take offense at having been exposed as a dime-store historian and failed academic? :poke:
No, but I am curious.

I don't feel humiliated.

Since you've decided I am....who exactly am I worried about?

So...

ask away

No, but I am curious.

I don't feel humiliated.

42!!!!

So...

ask away

No, but I am curious.

I don't feel humiliated.

One serious question: Are you a Southerner? I ask because rarely do I meet people outside of the south who equate being offended with humiliation.

Did Dante say he believes you are worried about some unnamed person?

Why did historians for so long credit Jefferson for the works and deeds of Beckely?

if they did this show evidence or admit to being insane and liberal
you've been dismissed from class

make sure you're on time for the next one

Dante: utterly insane liberal moron who cant even defend basic premise of his own thread!! How insane can one liberal be?

Eigentlich ist es ja so, daß Du klinisch gesehen psychisch krank bist. Und jetzt, ab in die Klinik mit Dir!

So...

ask away

No, but I am curious.

I don't feel humiliated.

One serious question: Are you a Southerner? I ask because rarely do I meet people outside of the south who equate being offended with humiliation.

Redest Du von Dir immer so in 3.Person, oder ist das so eine Masche Deinerseits?
Kannst mir sagen, ich bin ja ganz Ohr!!!

So...

ask away

No, but I am curious.

I don't feel humiliated.

There is always a measure of projection in our posts.

If by meaning to offend me, being "exposed" as a dime store historian would work.....perhaps it is your worst nightmare.

Which can be simplified by the childish phrase, "I know you are but what am I"

So...

ask away

No, but I am curious.

I don't feel humiliated.

Redest Du von Dir immer so in 3.Person, oder ist das so eine Masche Deinerseits?
Kannst mir sagen, ich bin ja ganz Ohr!!!
You are doing this way faster than my german translations

Forum List

Back