Genesis 19: Sodom and Gomorrah

No sin is greater then another, that's a fact in the bible.

Not quite true, there is an unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable and those that commit it are guilty of an eternal sin. Mark 3:28-30

Thanks that you are interested in me :always interested in buying more biblical books and old issues of popular science :)

Love that stuff

Bonzi, very good. Here is a good reading on all of the viewpoints.

Homosexuality and Romans 1 2 - all viewpoints
Romans 1:26-27:
The text reads (in the King James Version):

Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet."

This passage is unique in that it is the only place in the Bible that refers to same-gender sexual behavior by women. Bennett Sims, the former Episcopal bishop of Atlanta, believes that these verses have done more to form Christians' negative opinion of homosexuality than any other single passage in the Bible. He writes:

"For most of us who seriously honor Scripture these verses still stand as the capital New Testament text that unequivocally prohibits homosexual behavior. More prohibitively, this text has been taken to mean that even a same-sex inclination is reprehensible, so that a type of humanity known as 'homosexual' has steadily become the object of contempt and discrimination." 1

Other Christians interpret the passage differently. They note that the persons involved in the orgy were former Christians, and were heterosexual. Romans 1 condemns them because they went against their nature -- their heterosexual orientation -- and engaged in same-gender sexual behavior. By the same reasoning, lesbians and gays who went against their fundamental nature -- their homosexual orientation -- and engaged in opposite-gender sexual behavior would also be sinning.

Another interpretation is discussed by Douglas Campbell in his book "The Deliverance of God." Campbell suggests that in Romans 1:18-32, Paul was presenting an argument by others that actually oppose his own beliefs. He does this in order to refute the other writers' false teaching. For millennia, Christian theologians have generally interpreted this passage as representing Paul's beliefs. If Campbell's interpretation is correct, then the church has reversed the meaning of the passage and condemned behaviors that Paul would not have condemned.

Still another interpretation is asserted by author Jack Levison. He suggests that the start of chapter 2 of Romans is the key message and should be used to interpret Romans 1. Chapter 2 condemns judgmental behavior that causes internal conflict within the Church. Those who judge others are themselves condemned.
The Bible is consistent regarding God's feelings toward homosexuality. Its never spoken of as acceptable.

The Bible is very clear on the subject of homosexuality..........They are going to Hell. ..... :cool:
All dinners are going to he'll unless the repent and acknowledge Jesus as their Lord and savior and live for Him instead of themselves

Romans 1:26-27

26 Because of this, God gave them to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

All that has to happen is acceptance. Acceptance that sodomy (gay style) is normal. Accept that words have no meaning. Accept perversion by words and deeds. There are no moral bounds except those chosen by society.

Notice that jake never actually quotes Gen. 19, why do you think that would be?

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

9 And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.

10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.

Verse 5 is particularly of importance.

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

The word "know' in this verse is the same as used in these verses:

Genesis 4:1
1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.

Genesis 4:25
25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.

The men of the city that came to Lot's home and sought after the two men who were Lot's guests were homosexuals.

Isaiah 5:20
20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

My opinion is that a person who is homosexual is not automatically going to Hell because of what the Bible says. Clearly the men of Sodom, as depicted in the Bible were homosexuals, there is little doubt in a clear reading of the passages. But those who say they were condemned because they were not hospitable have a point also. Think about it, they wanted to gang rape these two men, homosexual or heterosexual I think that kind of behavior is pretty much going to get you a ticket to Hell.

My opinion is that a person who is homosexual is not automatically going to Hell because of what the Bible says. Clearly the men of Sodom, as depicted in the Bible were homosexuals, there is little doubt in a clear reading of the passages. But those who say they were condemned because they were not hospitable have a point also. Think about it, they wanted to gang rape these two men, homosexual or heterosexual I think that kind of behavior is pretty much going to get you a ticket to Hell.
Going to heaven or he'll is not based on your behavior but on your SUBMISSION to God. Believing, and thus living you life in OBEDIENCE to Him. Not a do good check list

Believe as you wish, Bear; that means absolutely nothing.

Some of you folks above think you know Jesus, but I am not so sure.

You are, however, trying to find your way in a confusing world, and that is admirable.

Last edited:
I wonder where the word sodomy came from.

"sodomy" is not a Hebrew word

The Etymology Dictionary: Online Etymology Dictionary

sodomy (n.)
c. 1300, "unnatural sexual relations," such as those imputed to the inhabitants of Biblical Sodom, especially between persons of the same sex but also with beasts, from Old French sodomie, from Late Latin peccatum Sodomiticum "anal sex," literally "the sin of Sodom," from Latin Sodoma. In Middle English also synne Sodomyke (early 14c.).

thanks-----it is not a Hebrew word----

You could make that lame argument for the OT.

סְדוֹמִיוּת

not a word from the OT

Believe as you wish; that means absolutely nothing.

Some of you folks above think you know Jesus, but I am not so sure.

You are, however, trying to find your way in a confusing world, and that is admirable.
We're speaking truth but you know that already

Going to heaven or he'll is not based on your behavior but on your SUBMISSION to God. Believing, and thus living you life in OBEDIENCE to Him. Not a do good check list

Justified by Faith
22even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,24being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;…

This is always good to see the far right social cons roll out their justifications for violating Jesus' commandments on how to treat other folks.

Jesus taught us to love one another. But he also taught us to keep his commandments and to go into all the world and preach his gospel. Treating someone with love and respect does not imply that you have to accept their behavior when it goes against the commandments of God.

I think you are confused by the doctrines of wicked men and women.

Nope, I'm not confused at all. Because I have the Holy Spirit to reveal things to me (not just me, other Christian's) and they know the truth also. Intellectuals and pick the Bible apart and twists things to make it seem to mean what they want. There is a punishment for that also. But those indwelled with the Holy Spirit, the Bible's meaning is revealed to them by God.

Jesus taught us to love one another. But he also taught us to keep his commandments and to go into all the world and preach his gospel. Treating someone with love and respect does not imply that you have to accept their behavior when it goes against the commandments of God.
Since you don't speak for Jesus, ok. :lol: Now, yes, you must treat those with whom you disagree in a loving and respectful manner. Do you?

I think you are confused by the doctrines of wicked men and women.

Nope, I'm not confused at all. Because I have the Holy Spirit to reveal things to me (not just me, other Christian's) and they know the truth also. Intellectuals and pick the Bible apart and twists things to make it seem to mean what they want. There is a punishment for that also. But those indwelled with the Holy Spirit, the Bible's meaning is revealed to them by God.
Here you are again wanting to God's spokesperson. You are not.

Forum List

Back