Genesis 19: Sodom and Gomorrah

I wonder where the word sodomy came from.

"sodomy" is not a Hebrew word

The Etymology Dictionary: Online Etymology Dictionary

sodomy (n.)
c. 1300, "unnatural sexual relations," such as those imputed to the inhabitants of Biblical Sodom, especially between persons of the same sex but also with beasts, from Old French sodomie, from Late Latin peccatum Sodomiticum "anal sex," literally "the sin of Sodom," from Latin Sodoma. In Middle English also synne Sodomyke (early 14c.).

thanks-----it is not a Hebrew word----

You could make that lame argument for the OT.

סְדוֹמִיוּת

not a word from the OT

So your point must be that in America we speak Hebrew.

Those who are followers of Jesus are given the commandment to be the warning voice and preach the gospel. So yes, we are the spokesmen for Jesus.

Mark 16:15
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Doctrine and Covenants 88:81
81 Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor.

Doctrine and Covenants 38:41
41 And let your preaching be the warning voice, every man to his neighbor, in mildness and in meekness.

Oh hell since the OP don't want to post it

Jude 1:7King James Version (KJV)
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

What does strange flesh mean Jake? Does it have anything to do with greed?

And this one is obvious

Leviticus 18:22King James Version (KJV)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination

I love it when people arguing about homosexuality quote Leviticus- I really, really do.

Since Leviticus also says among the very many things 'thou shalt not" do- is eat pork- or shrimp.

And of course trimming your beard.

I am curious- show of hands here- which Christians follow the commandments of Leviticus?

Those who are followers of Jesus are given the commandment to be the warning voice and preach the gospel. So yes, we are the spokesmen for Jesus.

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

81 Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor.

41 And let your preaching be the warning voice, every man to his neighbor, in mildness and in meekness.

And what are Jesus's two greatest commandments?

"sodomy" is not a Hebrew word

The Etymology Dictionary: Online Etymology Dictionary

sodomy (n.)
c. 1300, "unnatural sexual relations," such as those imputed to the inhabitants of Biblical Sodom, especially between persons of the same sex but also with beasts, from Old French sodomie, from Late Latin peccatum Sodomiticum "anal sex," literally "the sin of Sodom," from Latin Sodoma. In Middle English also synne Sodomyke (early 14c.).

thanks-----it is not a Hebrew word----

You could make that lame argument for the OT.

סְדוֹמִיוּת

not a word from the OT

So your point must be that in America we speak Hebrew.

no------the word sodomy came about in the English language because Christian scholars
introduced it--------how long have you been so dim. "sodomy" is not a Hebrew word in that homosexual or anal intercourse is not called
"sodomy" in Hebrew and not even sidoomut
----try to cope

he quoted Hillel----"-treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated "------and "love God with all your heart"

What did Jesus tell Christians that they should do?

Love God with all of your heart.
Love thy neighbor as thyself
- and he said these are the two greatest commandments.

Otherwise Jesus said to follow the commandments- which amazingly do not mention homosexuality.
Jesus condemned adultery- and divorce and remarriage.

Frankly I do not see how any Christian who is opposed to two men marrying- could not be more opposed to Newt Gingrich marrying for the 4th time.

Now Paul appears to be condemning male homosexuality and makes a vague comment about women- which some want to interpret as also condemning female homosexuality. But then again Paul also tells women to obey their husbands and tells slaves to obey their masters.

I am curious- are Christians who oppose homosexuality based upon Paul's words- do they also believe that slaves that exist still in this world must obey their masters?

Jesus in Mark is speaking to the Eleven. Were you one of them?

You were alive in Kirtland at the end of 1832?

And you are saying only the LDS are given power from on high to all the nations?

Oh, please, Louise.

What did Jesus tell Christians that they should do?

Love God with all of your heart.
Love thy neighbor as thyself
- and he said these are the two greatest commandments.

Otherwise Jesus said to follow the commandments- which amazingly do not mention homosexuality.
Jesus condemned adultery- and divorce and remarriage.

Frankly I do not see how any Christian who is opposed to two men marrying- could not be more opposed to Newt Gingrich marrying for the 4th time.

Now Paul appears to be condemning male homosexuality and makes a vague comment about women- which some want to interpret as also condemning female homosexuality. But then again Paul also tells women to obey their husbands and tells slaves to obey their masters.

I am curious- are Christians who oppose homosexuality based upon Paul's words- do they also believe that slaves that exist still in this world must obey their masters?

Paul was sucking up to greek and roman society. Jesus was quoting Hillel

Oh hell since the OP don't want to post it

Jude 1:7King James Version (KJV)
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

What does strange flesh mean Jake? Does it have anything to do with greed?

And this one is obvious

Leviticus 18:22King James Version (KJV)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination

I love it when people arguing about homosexuality quote Leviticus- I really, really do.

Since Leviticus also says among the very many things 'thou shalt not" do- is eat pork- or shrimp.

And of course trimming your beard.

I am curious- show of hands here- which Christians follow the commandments of Leviticus?

Jesus came to fulfill the law of Moses. Many of the diverse laws and ordinances were no longer preached and practiced. However, other laws were continued even in the New Testament. For example the Ten Commandments are still in force. And of course that which is preached by Paul in Romans chapter 1

Romans 1:26-27
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Last edited:
The Bible is very clear on the subject of homosexuality..........They are going to Hell. ..... :cool:

The bible is very clear on the subject of eating Shellfish.

They are going to Hell.

red-lobster-building.png

The first and greatest of the two is to Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and all thy soul. God tells us how to love him:

John 15:10
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.

John 14:15
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

The second great commandment is to love your neighbor as youself. Now if I love myself I would want myself to keep all the commandments of God and be faithful to him. So if I am going to treat my neighbor as myself, I should love him enough to warn him and teach him the commandments of God so that he too can keep these commandments and together we can be saved.

onefour1, I see you can't answer my questions. Figures.

Those Commandments does not tell you to go and figure how to follow them so you feel good about imposing yourself on others.

It says, love God, love your neighbor. Nothing else. Nothing in there about "now, Porker, I know you are a self important twit, so you go ahead and interpret them for yourself."

there is nothing in either the OT or the NT that suggests that eating shellfish will condemn anyone to some place called "hell"

There's nothing in the OT because the Hebrews didn't believe in an afterlife. THat's something the modern religions made up.

But clearly, God called eating Shellfish an "abomination", so that must mean anyone eating at Joe's Crab Shack is in for it.

large.jpg

Forum List

Back