Genesis 19: Sodom and Gomorrah

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
Read this carefully and think.

The Story of Sodom & Gomorrah (Genesis 19) is often used to condemn homosexuality. Deity sends angels disguised as men to Sodom. The men of Sodom threaten go gang rape them. The angels blind the would-be rapists, and

God sends two angels disguised as men into the City of Sodom where the men of Sodom threatened to rape them. The angels blind the men, and God destroys the city. For centuries, this story was interpreted as God's judgment God destroys Sodom. NIV.

(1) gang-rape is condemned
(2) God would have condemned heterosexual gang rape as well
(3) one logically infers that God is displeased with those who threaten violence on visitors

Ezekial 16:49 adds more to the story. "Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy." KJ.

"Now, this was the sin of your sister, Sodom. She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed, and unconcerned, they did not help the poor and needy."

If anyone uses the story to condemn homosexual relations, they miss the story's meaning.

Lmao, how convenient of you to leave out Leviticus 18:22 and Jude 1:7

• Banned
Lmao, how convenient of you to leave out Leviticus 18:22 and Jude 1:7
Leviticus is primarily the children of Israel being taught how to be a peculiar people set off from the rest of the inhabitants. (1) It is clear that one implication is that Jews should not engage in the fertility rites in pagan temples. (2) Another is clear that a man should not assume the position of a woman in sex, because a woman was barely above children and slaves in position of important. (3) "homosexual" was not a term that was used regularly until the late 19th century.

Funny on how you don't want to post Leviticus 18:22 or jude 1:7. Why?

Is it because it would crash your OP real fast if you did?

• Banned
Jude 1:7 is an outright condemnation of all kinds of sexual promiscuity outside of marriage. The adulterer is going to get it as badly as the homosexual.

It is most likely that Jude was a brother of the Lord. This family relationship carries some weight for the condemnatory side of the argument.

• Banned
Funny on how you don't want to post Leviticus 18:22 or jude 1:7. Why?

Is it because it would crash your OP real fast if you did?
Good morning. Read immediately above and below your post.

addendum: I have poste "them" above. Bear is pretending to not know my answers have been posted.

Last edited:
Romans 1:26-27

26 Because of this, God gave them to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

26 Because of this, God gave them to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Give us some analysis, since you are not an expert on these matters. I least I hope not.

All that has to happen is acceptance. Acceptance that sodomy (gay style) is normal. Accept that words have no meaning. Accept perversion by words and deeds. There are no moral bounds except those chosen by society.

Notice that jake never actually quotes Gen. 19, why do you think that would be?

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

9 And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.

10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.

Genesis's story is quite clear. The sin was gang rape as well as inhospitably.

Leviticus is confusing, but seems to involve the role of man in sex.

Jude is more clear.

Jude is more clear.

The men did receive hospitality. Genesis never mentions that at all it is a made up bit of Biblical revisionism. IF it did then you would quote Genesis 19 but you don't, there is a reason.

Oh hell since the OP don't want to post it

Jude 1:7King James Version (KJV)
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

What does strange flesh mean Jake? Does it have anything to do with greed?

And this one is obvious

Leviticus 18:22King James Version (KJV)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination

Jude is more clear.

The men did receive hospitality. Genesis never mentions that at all it is a made up bit of Biblical revisionism. IF it did then you would quote Genesis 19 but you don't, there is a reason.
Your revisionism is noted and defeat accepted. The translations are all clear as to the inhabitants' intent.

I wonder where the word sodomy came from.

"sodomy" is not a Hebrew word

The Etymology Dictionary: Online Etymology Dictionary

sodomy (n.)
c. 1300, "unnatural sexual relations," such as those imputed to the inhabitants of Biblical Sodom, especially between persons of the same sex but also with beasts, from Old French sodomie, from Late Latin peccatum Sodomiticum "anal sex," literally "the sin of Sodom," from Latin Sodoma. In Middle English also synne Sodomyke (early 14c.).

Genesis and Leviticus have been explained. It is clear you are listening only to your pastor and not doing your own Bible study daily.

Jude is more than problematic for the homosexual, I grant you.

A better discussion of sodomy is found at sodomy legal definition of sodomy

Sodomy
Anal or oral intercourse between human beings, or any sexual relations between a humanbeing and an animal, the act of which may be punishable as a criminal offense.

The word sodomy acquired different meanings over time. Under the Common Law, sodomyconsisted of anal intercourse. Traditionally courts and statutes referred to it as a "crimeagainst nature" or as copulation "against the order of nature." In the United States, the termeventually encompassed oral sex as well as anal sex. The crime of sodomy was classifiedas a felony.

Because homosexual activity involves anal and oral sex, gay men were the primary target ofsodomy laws. Culturally and historically, homosexual activity was seen as unnatural orperverse. The term sodomy refers to the homosexual activities of men in the story of the cityof Sodom in the Bible. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah because of their residents'immorality became a central part of Western attitudes toward forms of non-procreative sexual activity and same-sex relations.

Forum List

Back