Genesis 19: Sodom and Gomorrah

Romans1:26-27 is all you need.

Look no further....

If you want to follow a psychopath of a deity, please do, just don't expect everyone to fall into line with you...

Bonzi, very good. Here is a good reading on all of the viewpoints.

Homosexuality and Romans 1 2 - all viewpoints
Romans 1:26-27:
The text reads (in the King James Version):

Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet."

This passage is unique in that it is the only place in the Bible that refers to same-gender sexual behavior by women. Bennett Sims, the former Episcopal bishop of Atlanta, believes that these verses have done more to form Christians' negative opinion of homosexuality than any other single passage in the Bible. He writes:

"For most of us who seriously honor Scripture these verses still stand as the capital New Testament text that unequivocally prohibits homosexual behavior. More prohibitively, this text has been taken to mean that even a same-sex inclination is reprehensible, so that a type of humanity known as 'homosexual' has steadily become the object of contempt and discrimination." 1

Other Christians interpret the passage differently. They note that the persons involved in the orgy were former Christians, and were heterosexual. Romans 1 condemns them because they went against their nature -- their heterosexual orientation -- and engaged in same-gender sexual behavior. By the same reasoning, lesbians and gays who went against their fundamental nature -- their homosexual orientation -- and engaged in opposite-gender sexual behavior would also be sinning.

Another interpretation is discussed by Douglas Campbell in his book "The Deliverance of God." Campbell suggests that in Romans 1:18-32, Paul was presenting an argument by others that actually oppose his own beliefs. He does this in order to refute the other writers' false teaching. For millennia, Christian theologians have generally interpreted this passage as representing Paul's beliefs. If Campbell's interpretation is correct, then the church has reversed the meaning of the passage and condemned behaviors that Paul would not have condemned.

Still another interpretation is asserted by author Jack Levison. He suggests that the start of chapter 2 of Romans is the key message and should be used to interpret Romans 1. Chapter 2 condemns judgmental behavior that causes internal conflict within the Church. Those who judge others are themselves condemned.

I would ask some other questions about Genesis 19.

So Lot offers his virgin daughters up for gang rape, and he's supposedly the "Good Guy".

Why would angels need poopy holes for the Sodomites to diddle to start with? They don't eat, therefore they don't need to poop.

Nah, I don't think gays will go to hell, the same way I don't think I am going to hell, with four tattoos and all the crap I did in my life, as long as they believe

Bear, I have read the Bible daily since before I was ten, except when I was unconscious in the hospital. Every day. Every where. I have one on me right now. Don't make assumptions, because you will be wrong about this and much other beliefs about folks. Give others grace as you give yourself grace.

Assumption, Assuming Quotes, Bible Verses, Scriptures

When you’re forming your opinions,
Do it carefully – go slow;
Hasty judgments oft are followed
By regretting – that I know.” — Anonymous

“He will delight in obeying the LORD. He will not judge by appearance nor make a decision based on hearsay.” ~ Isaiah 11:3, NLT

“…the LORD said to Samuel, Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” – 1 Samuel 16:7, NLT

“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.” — James 1:19, NIV

“Don’t jump to conclusions – there may be a perfectly good explanation for what you just saw.” – Proverbs 25:8, MSG

“Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.” ~ Luke 6:31, NASB

“For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” ~ Galatians 5:14, ESV

Assumption Assuming Quotes What Does The Bible Say About Making Assumptions JollyNotes.com

If you think their is a maximum security prision in hell for the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao , John Wayne gacy and the likes and us common sinners who have tattoos, eat pork or gay and the like are only sentaced to minimum security hell

Nah, Jesus forgives the sins, if just believe, he died for the sins of the word according to the bible.

you never read the bible cover to cover, or even comprehend it.
I have read the Bible many times cover to cover.

Most likely, more times than you......judging by your posts on the topic. ...... :cool:
I have uncles who are Catholic priest and great aunts who are nuns...

I know people that read the both bibles (Catholic lost books, which the babtist and the rest refuse to acknowledge)thousands of times more then me, yet still can not comprehend it and judging by your post , you still don't get it.

I wonder where the word sodomy came from.

"sodomy" is not a Hebrew word

The Etymology Dictionary: Online Etymology Dictionary

sodomy (n.)
c. 1300, "unnatural sexual relations," such as those imputed to the inhabitants of Biblical Sodom, especially between persons of the same sex but also with beasts, from Old French sodomie, from Late Latin peccatum Sodomiticum "anal sex," literally "the sin of Sodom," from Latin Sodoma. In Middle English also synne Sodomyke (early 14c.).

thanks-----it is not a Hebrew word----

Most likely, more times than you......judging by your posts on the topic. ...... :cool:

I know people that read the both bibles (Catholic lost books, which the babtist and the rest refuse to acknowledge)thousands of times more then me, yet still can not comprehend it and judging by your post , you still don't get it.
That is yourself you are talking to: you don't comprehend that people can think fairly and arrive at different conclusions than you. That's fine. Give them the grace you want in our own life.

I wonder where the word sodomy came from.

"sodomy" is not a Hebrew word

The Etymology Dictionary: Online Etymology Dictionary

sodomy (n.)
c. 1300, "unnatural sexual relations," such as those imputed to the inhabitants of Biblical Sodom, especially between persons of the same sex but also with beasts, from Old French sodomie, from Late Latin peccatum Sodomiticum "anal sex," literally "the sin of Sodom," from Latin Sodoma. In Middle English also synne Sodomyke (early 14c.).

thanks-----it is not a Hebrew word----

You could make that lame argument for the OT.

סְדוֹמִיוּת

That is yourself you are talking to: you don't comprehend that people can think fairly and arrive at different conclusions than you. That's fine. Give them the grace you want in our own life.
no you started this thread taking scripture out of context and ignoring others in the bible, to suit /justify the OP ,

Listen pal I read the bible many times cover to cover, looking for loop holes to justify my reckless ways. I had so many arguments with my Uncles who are Catholic priest

They told me don't take the bible litteraly , they told me , yea they are both born again Christians.

That's all I needed to hear back in 1995.

Forum List

Back