Gay marriage should be a states' issue, just like slavery and abortion used to be

garyganu

May 4, 2012
President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage yesterday. However, he stipulated that this decisions should be left up to individual states.

The issue of slavery was also left up to the states before the civil war. The issue of abortion was also left up to the states before Roe Vs. Wade.

This is a very strange position for someone who believes that same-sex marriage is a civil right. How can it be a civil right in one state and not in another state?

Comparing marriage and slavery is just plain stupid.

One involves a voluntary action, the other does not.

dunce-cap.jpg

Comparing marriage and slavery is just plain stupid.

One involves a voluntary action, the other does not.

dunce-cap.jpg

I am not comparing gay marriage to slavery. I am just pointing out that President Obama puts them in the same category.

President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage yesterday. However, he stipulated that this decisions should be left up to individual states.

The issue of slavery was also left up to the states before the civil war. The issue of abortion was also left up to the states before Roe Vs. Wade.

This is a very strange position for someone who believes that same-sex marriage is a civil right. How can it be a civil right in one state and not in another state?

It can't. He is playing politics. Supporting gay marriage with one hand shown to the liberals and gay community while opposing it with the other shown to moderate Republicans and the anti-gay community

Eventually, it will have to be decided at the national level. As more and more states accept it, the federal government and military will have to accept gay marriages. As gays move between states and travel, there will develop cases such as legal representation, survivorship and medical decision making that must carry between states

20 years from now, everyone will wonder what the big deal was

Eventually, it will have to be decided at the national level. As more and more states accept it, the federal government and military will have to accept gay marriages. As gays move between states and travel, there will develop cases such as legal representation, survivorship and medical decision making that must carry between states

Marriage amemdment....here we come.

they love being on the wrong side of history.

conservative.

keeping things the same no matter what the logical position is

Usurp the 9th and 10th...YAY!

Usurp the 9th and 10th...YAY!

If they want to make it universally unlawfull.....

they love being on the wrong side of history.

conservative.

keeping things the same no matter what the logical position is

Truth matters would not know logical if it jumped up and bit her on her fat ass an then sucked out her blueberry sized brain.

sounds good to me...

funny that he'd be getting crap from the right for framing it as a States' Rights issue...

I have already been slammed by a couple Statists telling me that the 14th Amendment comes into play here...

I don't buy it.

Being GAY is NOT a 'Race' or ethnicity...nor is it a matter of citizenship.

So, gays are not citizens?

So some appear to believe......it takes us back to Loving, and reminds me of a THANKFULLY dead area.............how,how, could any American not want other adult Americans to be allowed to marry?:cuckoo:

I have already been slammed by a couple Statists telling me that the 14th Amendment comes into play here...

I don't buy it.

Being GAY is NOT a 'Race' or ethnicity...nor is it a matter of citizenship.

So, gays are not citizens?

So some appear to believe......it takes us back to Loving, and reminds me of a THANKFULLY dead area.............how,how, could any American not want other adult Americans to be allowed to marry?:cuckoo:

Just as long as it also says I can marry three women at the same time.

Forum List

Back