France hates the new Napoleon film

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Ridley Scott meeting his Waterloo on the screen is not a pretty sight. His Napoleon inspires in the French viewer a festival of emotions in quick succession: sadness to witness such a colossal missed opportunity; excruciating pain to hear such inept dialogue; bewilderment upon realising that Scott doesn’t seem to have bothered to pick up one history book to check, well, historical facts;

$200m ia a lot to blow on a flop. Its a shame. I was looking forward to seeing it.The critique makes it sound like most other hollywood historical epics. Vapid. No doubt it will pick up oscars in proportion to the money spent on it.

And Danny Devito should play Napoleon every time.

The Film has not been universally panned .
Several reputable major critics have reviewed it very favourably .
It may be that Scott has given the public a more honest portrait of someone who actually was far from a military genius and not a pleasant individual .

Time will allow for a more balanced assessment

The film Napoleon isn't for the French audience, any more than the 1956 epic The Conqueror was for the Mongolian audience. I don't think Mongolians like the way the Duke portrayed their former leader either.
Many historical films pay scant attention to the actual history. Mel Gibson is a serial offender in that respect.

I think that there are many moving parts in a movie.. If you get one or two wrong you may be in trouble..
Yes idiot .
It's the wheels that go round and round to allow the film to be projected .

The whole world is astonished by your deep analysis of individual faulty parts preventing things from happening .

Another Turdy patent to be filed .

Many historical films pay scant attention to the actual history. Mel Gibson is a serial offender in that respect.
Said Turdy, the world renowned film critic and Historian .
Who would have believed that just Mel was a Serial offender ?

Only Turdy the Tainted one .

I can understand. IT ushered in the Age of Surrendering that continues to this day. Even now they are busy surrendering their country to islamists and there wont be a Pope to bail em out
****. You can see why the British and Americans are considered the most obnoxious in the world. Seem to think they built the English Channel and the Atlantic Ocean, the only reason for (So much baloney written about him in English....) their dominance.

Ridley Scott meeting his Waterloo on the screen is not a pretty sight. His Napoleon inspires in the French viewer a festival of emotions in quick succession: sadness to witness such a colossal missed opportunity; excruciating pain to hear such inept dialogue; bewilderment upon realising that Scott doesn’t seem to have bothered to pick up one history book to check, well, historical facts;

$200m ia a lot to blow on a flop. Its a shame. I was looking forward to seeing it.The critique makes it sound like most other hollywood historical epics. Vapid. No doubt it will pick up oscars in proportion to the money spent on it.

Its hollywood

Did she not know what to expect from the sex and violence crowd by now?

Actually, the film is quite good. Typical Ridley Scott film, long on visuals, not very long on historical accuracy.

The corruption of the revolutionaries is well presented though.

****. You can see why the British and Americans are considered the most obnoxious in the world. Seem to think they built the English Channel and the Atlantic Ocean, the only reason for (So much baloney written about him in English....) their dominance.
Wrong! Libtards like you are considered the most obnoxious assholes in the world.

It is a frigging movie. If you are dependent upon Hollywood to teach you history then you are an idiot.

If the goddamn French are butt hurt over this movie they should be an American Vietnam veteran and see how Hollywood got so many things wrong with the way the war was portrayed.

If the goddamn French are butt hurt over this movie they should be an American Vietnam veteran and see how Hollywood got so many things wrong with the way the war was portrayed.
Always cracks me up to think of Americans believing their army was good when 75% of combatants never fired to kill ,.

Actually, the film is quite good. Typical Ridley Scott film, long on visuals, not very long on historical accuracy.

The corruption of the revolutionaries is well presented though.
When making a film about such a historical figure it should all be about accuracy, many WW2 films are not very accurate down to the weapons used and i find it annoying, i don't like many war films for that reason.

Always cracks me up to think of Americans believing their army was good when 75% of combatants never fired to kill ,.
In Vietnam it was a lot more than you think due to the VC and NVA attacks on various support facilities. Many support troops had to man the permeter wire during an attack and they did fire their weapons. Not infantry search and destroy but trigger pulling never the less.

Having spent 30 months over there I would guess the number is more than you quoted. Probably higher than WWII but less than Korea.

My son told me that he didn't think one in ten pulled their triggers during the Iraq invasion, which he participated.

If you were in Vietnam and have a different opinion I would like to hear it.

However, that deflection discussion has nothing to do with the despicable way that the Libtard turds in Hollywood have portrayed the war.

Forum List

Back