Flip Flopping Trump wants to raise minimum wage

Donald Trump Switches Position on Minimum Wage Stance

Now that Trump has won the GOP, we will now see the real leftist Trump crawl out from under his rock.

You know the minimum wage of 1970 would be the equivalent of about $20/hour today, adjusted for inflation. So it has been allowed to erode to about one third of its original value. What was considered a minimal wage in 1970 to survive, is now less than survivable without two parents working and one with a second job. What kind of life is that, to be forced to work 80 hours a week or do without essentials?

Why do so many 'conservatives' like yourself seem to think that allowing the impoverished to live lives bordering on starvation and destitution is a good thing for America?

So how much do you think workers should be worth for government to allow them to have a job?

When you can phrase a question intelligently with some semblance of Reality to it, I will try to answer you.

Till then, die on the Ash Heap of History, Libertarian Losers.

My question was precise, you're just a moron. I also like how you insult my phrasing while highlighting your government education which didn't teach you to write the English language correctly. Hint, why did I capitalize the word "English?"

So a worker would be willing to take a job for $5 an hour. That means no one will pay more for him or he would take the higher paying job.

An employer has a job and there is a better worker who won't work for less than $10

However, the requirements of the job are that the skills of the $5 employee are sufficient that he hires the $5.

Now you come in and raise the minimum wage to $10. Even though the employer didn't need the $10 employee, now that he has to pay that he's going to fire the $5 employee and hire the $10.

He's also going to look to automate and consolidate and reduce overall staff to stay within budget.

Note nowhere in there did you help workers

We MUST have a minimum wage law, I believe in as little government as possible, but where appropriate some government is necessary.

Why "must" we have a minimum wage? You hate low end workers?

You know the minimum wage of 1970 would be the equivalent of about $20/hour today, adjusted for inflation. So it has been allowed to erode to about one third of its original value. What was considered a minimal wage in 1970 to survive, is now less than survivable without two parents working and one with a second job. What kind of life is that, to be forced to work 80 hours a week or do without essentials?

Why do so many 'conservatives' like yourself seem to think that allowing the impoverished to live lives bordering on starvation and destitution is a good thing for America?

So how much do you think workers should be worth for government to allow them to have a job?

When you can phrase a question intelligently with some semblance of Reality to it, I will try to answer you.

My question was precise, you're just a moron. I also like how you insult my phrasing while highlighting your government education which didn't teach you to write the English language correctly. Hint, why did I capitalize the word "English?"

So a worker would be willing to take a job for $5 an hour. That means no one will pay more for him or he would take the higher paying job.

An employer has a job and there is a better worker who won't work for less than $10

However, the requirements of the job are that the skills of the $5 employee are sufficient that he hires the $5.

Now you come in and raise the minimum wage to $10. Even though the employer didn't need the $10 employee, now that he has to pay that he's going to fire the $5 employee and hire the $10.

He's also going to look to automate and consolidate and reduce overall staff to stay within budget.

We MUST have a minimum wage law, I believe in as little government as possible, but where appropriate some government is necessary.

^ And this is why "traditional conservatives" just got kicked out of their own party. The overwhelming majority of Americans are sick of that kind of attitude

^ And this is why "traditional conservatives" just got kicked out of their own party. The overwhelming majority of Americans are sick of that kind of attitude

I'm not a conservative or a Republican. You think they're that dumb? Well, you're not a Republican and we don't want you! LOL. Ouch! Not

What if you answer the question. I gave you the exact scenario. There are only two ways you can believe the minimum wage helps workers:

1) If you believe workers are like socket wrenches, one is exactly the same as another

2) If you believe employers will hire a worse candidate when a better one is available for the same money

If the market value of a worker is say $5 and the minimum wage is say $7.25, by definition, there are workers worth $7.25 available for the job. Why would an employer EVER hire an employee only worth $5?

where did he do that?

wageslow.png

He never came out and said he supported "raising the minimum wage" He said he would entertain a discussion about the minimum wage but his primary focus is to bring high paying jobs back that pay much more than a minimum wage would.

He also mentioned that you want to be careful how high you lift the bottom end wage.

Actually, what he really did was to lay out a standard politicians move to play both sides of the fence. He's made a vague statement that clearly and intentionally implies a policy position, in an attempt to gain support of people who will interpret his statements as an explicit endorsement of the implied policy. At the same time, he leaves himself a very glaring out so as to give plausible deniability to those who would oppose the implied policy so that he can minimize the risk of losing such support.

He never came out and said he supported "raising the minimum wage" He said he would entertain a discussion about the minimum wage but his primary focus is to bring high paying jobs back that pay much more than a minimum wage would.

He also mentioned that you want to be careful how high you lift the bottom end wage.

Actually, what he really did was to lay out a standard politicians move to play both sides of the fence. He's made a vague statement that clearly and intentionally implies a policy position, in an attempt to gain support of people who will interpret his statements as an explicit endorsement of the implied policy. At the same time, he leaves himself a very glaring out so as to give plausible deniability to those who would oppose the implied policy so that he can minimize the risk of losing such support.
He earlier had said in a related comment.."I love the Uneducated"
184008_10150249374746650_3093416_n.jpg
Dude, Donald Trump’s greatest accomplishment may be managing to turn his party’s Speaker of the House and only living presidents into swing voters.
184008_10150249374746650_3093416_n.jpg

Trump once stated that it is hard for America to directly compete with Third World labor because our workers are paid too much, but that was not said to imply American wages have to come down.

Speaking of distorting words out of context...

Trump's exact words were: "Wages too high."

Trying to deny it is pure schizophrenia.

I'm not a conservative or a Republican. You think they're that dumb? Well, you're not a Republican and we don't want you! LOL. Ouch! Not

What if you answer the question. I gave you the exact scenario. There are only two ways you can believe the minimum wage helps workers:

1) If you believe workers are like socket wrenches, one is exactly the same as another

2) If you believe employers will hire a worse candidate when a better one is available for the same money

If the market value of a worker is say $5 and the minimum wage is say $7.25, by definition, there are workers worth $7.25 available for the job. Why would an employer EVER hire an employee only worth $5?

It has naught to do with the value of employees and everything to do with keeping employers from using the power of actually having the jobs to set the wages below a certain level.

It has naught to do with the value of employees and everything to do with keeping employers from using the power of actually having the jobs to set the wages below a certain level.

:lmao:

Wages have nothing to do with the value of employees, that's classic. If I put ridiculous quotes by other posters on my sig, you'd be there now

how does that imply he wants to raise the minimum wage? Didn't he just say he wanted to do it through economic growth?

If that's what you're asking about then you're absolutely right that Trump has not explicitly stated that he wants to raise the minimum wage. But he is implying it. Let's be honest, when a candidate talks about wages being too high or too low, clearly such statements are going to imply a policy position. He's implying it, he's purposely implying it, and he's purposely stopping short and leaving it to be implied, so that he can't be backed into a corner either way. Politician Babble 101.

But the real question isn't his precise position on raising the minimum wage. The link, and the OP are wrong to claim that he's flip-flopped on minimum wage because, he hasn't actually made a precise statement on the policy question. However Trump has flip-flopped on wages, generally. He's blatantly contradicted himself, going from "wages are too high" to the exact opposite "wages are too low."

how does that imply he wants to raise the minimum wage? Didn't he just say he wanted to do it through economic growth?

If that's what you're asking about then you're absolutely right that Trump has not explicitly stated that he wants to raise the minimum wage. But he is implying it. Let's be honest, when a candidate talks about wages being too high or too low, clearly such statements are going to imply a policy position. He's implying it, he's purposely implying it, and he's purposely stopping short and leaving it to be implied, so that he can't be backed into a corner either way. Politician Babble 101.

But the real question isn't his precise position on raising the minimum wage. The link, and the OP are wrong to claim that he's flip-flopped on minimum wage because, he hasn't actually made a precise statement on the policy question. However Trump has flip-flopped on wages, generally. He's blatantly contradicted himself, going from "wages are too high" to the exact opposite "wages are too low."
I get what you are saying. However, he said he wanted to effect wages the natural way. I don't understand how you cannot take that into account.

I get what you are saying. However, he said he wanted to effect wages the natural way. I don't understand how you cannot take that into account.

It's not that I don't take it into account. I just see through his plausible deniability for the fence straddling that it is.

HE SAID: it should be left up to the states. because cost of livings are different in each one. man stop making up things he didn't say

Now that Trump has won the GOP, we will now see the real leftist Trump crawl out from under his rock.
Raising minimum wage is not "leftist". Most Republicans polled (Gallup) support it (58% to 39%) as do most conservatives. Also, a higher minimum wage is helpful to businesses, in general.

Most Americans for Raising Minimum Wage

In U.S., 71% Back Raising Minimum Wage

If higher wages were helpful to businesses, you wouldn't need government to force them to pay more. They would do so on their own.

If higher wages were helpful to businesses, you wouldn't need government to force them to pay more. They would do so on their own.
That's absurd. Businesses are strongly resistant to paying higher wages. They just are. That'll be the day when they voluntarily all raise thier wages. This is one of those cases where without govt intervention, forget about it..

And what do you mean "IF" higher wages were helpful to businesses ? I struggled for 12 years with my business, for one reason and one reason alone. The lack of money in the pockets of all the peole who wanted to buy my services and just didn't have enough money. I lost hundreds of thousands$$ because of the lack of disposable income in te community. And you know why ? Because somebody out there was paying them a pitiful minimum wage, that's why. Would you like me to find a few 10 year old 5th graders to explain this to you ? Sheeesh.
geez.gif

Raising minimum wage is not "leftist". Most Republicans polled (Gallup) support it (58% to 39%) as do most conservatives. Also, a higher minimum wage is helpful to businesses, in general.

Why does everything have to be 'helpful' to business?

Why does everything have to be 'helpful' to business?

If you had not noticed, the nation is drowning in debt dingleberry.

If the nation wishes to not implode, they will begin to reduce government spending and increase its revenue.

So where will this revenue come from? It certainly does not come from the government.

Forum List

Back