First person to find this

Dude, I don't know, I don't think I hear a timing issue on the 2nd chorus.

But since I was listening and TRYING to find something, I suppose I would say if anything, it's a tick or two early.

I think the beat might be doing something different for that second one and fucking with us. It doesn't pop like the 1st one or something strange. I really need to find out what it is, this track is going to be EPIC.

ETA: I'm not decided if I'm singing the whole track, or doing some rapping on it.

Yeah I did like it, it was pretty good.

And quantize is a timing feature that takes your tracks in the sequence and automatically moves them into their correct position within the measure.

Say you tapped out a drum pattern on an MPC...you'll never PERFECTLY have it timed to the metronome, regardless of how close it sounds to the ear.

So in the editing program, you would use the selector tool and highlight the sequence you tapped out, and then choose the quantize feature and it snaps all the tracks into place.

Works the same way with your vocal recording, except it relies on the downbeat. I don't usually use quantize for vocals myself, because I like the imperfection that a live recording brings to a track. There's a lot more artistry involved in recording vocals, and imperfections can actually be a positive for a track.

But for pasting out your choruses and all, what it would do is snap each pasted chorus into the same spot within the measure as the first one was. You actually don't really need quantize to do that, because when you set the cursor to the absolute beginning of the first pasted chorus, and then paste out the copies, it places them all into the correct spot within the measure FOR you.

But I never used Adobe. I always use Acid for my vocal sequencing.

GOAT is a slang way of saying.....The Messiah, or something similar.

Ahhh. OK.

Radioman, how do you feel about the 1st song on my page. It's only a chorus right now, I was throwing it up for other emcees to get on it and if I like their part I'll keep it, if not no.

Also need a hand, because this has been bugging me. The second time the hook plays through, I can't tell if I pasted it a few milliseconds too soon, or if it's too late.

I can't tell honestly.

I downloaded it to Audition 3.0, same as you're using. Give me the timestamp on this master track where you think it's happening.

Also, try normalizing to only -.5 dB or lower before mastering. From what I can tell, you're way hot on your levels. I dropped it down to -3dB and you can see where the peaks are flat as things peaked out.

Musically though, I like the track. Has the layers I was talking about earlier.

ahhh. Ok.

radioman, how do you feel about the 1st song on my page. It's only a chorus right now, i was throwing it up for other emcees to get on it and if i like their part i'll keep it, if not no.

Also need a hand, because this has been bugging me. The second time the hook plays through, i can't tell if i pasted it a few milliseconds too soon, or if it's too late.

i can't tell honestly.

I downloaded it to audition 3.0, same as you're using. Give me the timestamp on this master track where you think it's happening.

Also, try normalizing to only -.5 db or lower before mastering. From what i can tell, you're way hot on your levels. I dropped it down to -3db and you can see where the peaks are flat as things peaked out.

Musically though, i like the track. Has the layers i was talking about earlier.

1:16.650

If you want to get into semantics, then yes, I suppose it was.

I personally make a distinction between stealing and using without consent.
So if I take your car, drive it for a week, then put it back in your driveway, I didn't steal it? :lol:

I'm not really sure that's a good analogy. If I was trying to sell my car and wanted some exposure around town, and by taking my car for a joyride it got attention and got it sold, I'd probably end up thanking you in the end. :thup:
:lol: Okay. Good point.

I mean, I might be just imagining that it's off and it's not. I just want to take good care of this baby, I'm in love with my chorus.

radioman, how do you feel about the 1st song on my page. It's only a chorus right now, i was throwing it up for other emcees to get on it and if i like their part i'll keep it, if not no.

Also need a hand, because this has been bugging me. The second time the hook plays through, i can't tell if i pasted it a few milliseconds too soon, or if it's too late.

i can't tell honestly.

I downloaded it to audition 3.0, same as you're using. Give me the timestamp on this master track where you think it's happening.

Also, try normalizing to only -.5 db or lower before mastering. From what i can tell, you're way hot on your levels. I dropped it down to -3db and you can see where the peaks are flat as things peaked out.

Nah, not hearing it. Sounds on time to my ear.

Yes, I know how music business works. I sometimes wonder, though, if all the music that can be written HAS been written.

Impossible!~

Hey, there are only so many notes. :lol:

Good luck with your music, man.

I appreciate that.

I'm not trying to "make it," or anything though. I don't want that attention. I just do it for the sport, I love music. Breaking Benjamin! Trapt! 2 dope band recommendations.

i can't tell honestly.

Alright, thanks for checking man. I appreciate it.

When you say I'm running hot, you mean drop the whole mix-down -.5db? Or just like the Vocals, the beat, etc. each on their own before mixing down? Sorry, I'm novice and had zero school or real-world exp with mixing.

Dude, I don't know, I don't think I hear a timing issue on the 2nd chorus.

But since I was listening and TRYING to find something, I suppose I would say if anything, it's a tick or two early.

I think the beat might be doing something different for that second one and fucking with us. It doesn't pop like the 1st one or something strange. I really need to find out what it is, this track is going to be EPIC.

ETA: I'm not decided if I'm singing the whole track, or doing some rapping on it.

And quantize is a timing feature that takes your tracks in the sequence and automatically moves them into their correct position within the measure.

Say you tapped out a drum pattern on an MPC...you'll never PERFECTLY have it timed to the metronome, regardless of how close it sounds to the ear.

So in the editing program, you would use the selector tool and highlight the sequence you tapped out, and then choose the quantize feature and it snaps all the tracks into place.

Works the same way with your vocal recording, except it relies on the downbeat. I don't usually use quantize for vocals myself, because I like the imperfection that a live recording brings to a track. There's a lot more artistry involved in recording vocals, and imperfections can actually be a positive for a track.

But for pasting out your choruses and all, what it would do is snap each pasted chorus into the same spot within the measure as the first one was. You actually don't really need quantize to do that, because when you set the cursor to the absolute beginning of the first pasted chorus, and then paste out the copies, it places them all into the correct spot within the measure FOR you.

Holy buttload of info, Batman!! Zoiks!

Thanks, Paulie!~

To be more precise, quantizing a vocal recording is actually more correctly called beat mapping.

Beat mapping a vocal recording is sort of different from quantizing a MIDI recoding, although the end result is pretty much the same. It basically does the same thing to the parts.

Thanks, Paulie!~

It sounds like a lot more than it actually is.

When I would paste my choruses throughout a song, I would get the first one totally perfect mathematically using the time stamp numbers, and then paste the second one in the same spot 16 bars later. Just for the sake of saving time, instead of zooming in and finding the time stamp spot in the measure, I would put the cursor on top of the beginning of the first chorus, and then select both, right click and copy, and then right click off to the right of the 2nd chorus and paste. It would drop the 3rd and 4th chorus right into their correct spots.

Alright, thanks for checking man. I appreciate it.

When you say I'm running hot, you mean drop the whole mix-down -.5db? Or just like the Vocals, the beat, etc. each on their own before mixing down? Sorry, I'm novice and had zero school or real-world exp with mixing.

As you're recording in each track, record it in lower than you would normally. If you're importing a track, then normalize it to -.5 dB, or even lower. Then when you master it down you'll get more highs and lows. And then normalize the whole master track down to -.5 dB.

Thanks, Paulie!~

Yeah, acid is much much better for what you're trying to do GT.

Adobe is like a learner's permit. Or if you do what I do it's just fine. For making music though, adobe isn't the right tool for the job.

Put it this way. Adobe = Ford Taurus. Acid = Camaro. ProTools = Ferrari.

Thanks, Paulie!~

Adobe is like a learner's permit. Or if you do what I do it's just fine. For making music though, adobe isn't the right tool for the job.

Did you ever end up getting that and trying it out?

Thanks, Paulie!~

hahaha...if Adobe is Ford Taurus, the quantize feature probably broke down a while back anyway :lol: Amongst several other features too, I'm sure.

Here's what I'm talking about when you max things out:

radiomanatl-albums-studio-picture2711-flat.jpg

Notice how the wavform is flat at the top and bottom? The audio hit the max and couldn't go any further. It flattened out. Back it off a bit, and the audio will sound better. You won't lose any punch, but you'll get a better sound. As it is, it's juuuuuust right at the cusp of distortion.

Thanks, Paulie!~

I tried, but my laptop crashed on it. I think I have some soundcard and other issues with it. Not the program's fault. My laptop is a bit old. And I don't really do anything from the house anyway.

Thanks for the link though. When I get another machine in a few months I'm going to give it a go on that one.

Thanks, Paulie!~

hahaha...if Adobe is Ford Taurus, the quantize feature probably broke down a while back anyway :lol: Amongst several other features too, I'm sure.

It has a very non-user friendly version of it, if I remember correctly. For what I do though, I have no need for it.

I tried, but my laptop crashed on it. I think I have some soundcard and other issues with it. Not the program's fault. My laptop is a bit old. And I don't really do anything from the house anyway.

Thanks for the link though. When I get another machine in a few months I'm going to give it a go on that one.

Yeah I think it uses a lot of resources. I also think it might crash if the output options for the audio aren't set right to your soundcard, so you might be right about that.

Forum List

Back