Federal Spending = Better Education?

One wonders what the average CATO fellow spends or spent on the education of HIS children.

Anybody want to bet dollars to donoughts that they spent ENORMOUS sums of money on THEIR childrens' educations?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anybody?

The purpose of most public schools is to provide two hot meals and keep criminals off the streets. If the children learn something - great. If not - that's ok too. Just as long as they don't drop out and become a menace to society before the age of 21.

We need to stop pretending the purpose of schools is education. Maybe it's time to find a new word.

The purpose of most public schools is to provide two hot meals and keep criminals off the streets. If the children learn something - great. If not - that's ok too. Just as long as they don't drop out and become a menace to society before the age of 21.

We need to stop pretending the purpose of schools is education. Maybe it's time to find a new word.

Day Care

Sadly, there's some truth in that.

It's a tad overstated, of course, but I grok your discontent ad disgust with what we've allowed our schools to become.

I will remind you, of course, that expecting a school that is drawing its students from a sick society, to be healthier than the society from which it is drawn is asking a bit much.

Almost without exception, if you show me a school that is failing their students I'll show you the society that is failing their families.

Expecting a kid whose parents are already so beaten down that they have nothing to lose, NOT to come to school with that same sense of hopelessess is expecting human nature to be something other then you and I both know it is.

Last edited:

Sadly, there's some truth in that.

It's a tad overstated, of course, but I grok your discontent ad disgust with what we've allowed our schools to become.

I will remind you, of course, that expecting a school that is drawing its students from a sick society, to be healthier than the society from which it is drawn is asking a bit much.

Almost without exception, if you show me a school that is failing their students I'll show you the society that is failing their families.

Expecting a kid whose parents are already so beaten down that they have nothing to lose, NOT to come to school with that same sense of hopelessess is expecting human nature to be something other then you and I both know it is.

yeah ed, the parents hold no culpability for their children. it's not their fault after all, it's all our fault.

Yes we have failed them even though we don't know them. it's "society's" fault. After all society forced them to have kids didn't it. Society has made them into victims of forces beyond their control. Society has made them hopeless.

What a load of horse shit.

Forum List

Back