Federal Spending = Better Education?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    You obviously hate the chiiiillllldrrrreeeennnnn!! :lol:

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Abbott Districts are school districts in New Jersey covered by a series of New Jersey Supreme Court rulings, begun in 1985, that found that the education provided to school children in poor communities was inadequate and unconstitutional and mandated that state funding for these districts be equal to that spent in the wealthiest districts in the state.

NJ spends approx. $16K per student (est. $6 billion) on 31 districts out of 660. Coming soon to the rest of the country?

Money is not the answer. Why do charter schools do so much better? Because they can kick out the deadbeats and troublemakers and dump them back in the public schools.

My recommendation to young parents: put your kids in private school.

4. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    That's a very true statement right there. Private schools can be very picky with their student population. Comparing private and public school education is comparing apples and oranges.

There are some very good public schools in communities with very involved parents. My parents could not afford private school, but my public school offered advanced course in genetics, statistics, Calculus, and even boasted some publics school teachers that held Ph'D's in their topic. My Calculus teacher held a Ph'D in mathematics. In high school.

So it is possible to get some quality out of the public school systems.

The monetary issue is a sticky one. Part of the problem is that rising technology, infrastructure, and transportation costs have started to drive up the costs for schools. That means if you want a "modern" school where students can learn useful computer related skills, that is going to cost $$$$.

On the other hand, there are documented cases of waste. Many high schools have athletic budgets that are quite frankly too high and facilities that are too expensive. Some beauracratic boondoggles exist.

Like I said, its a messy issue. Modern technology costs money. Making sure the money isn't funnelled into something silly or wasteful is the trick.

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I went to a very good public school as well but my children go the Catholic schools. They don't have as much to offer as far as academics.but they are far safer. And the reason I say young parents is because I expect things to get far worse in ten years from now. Unless the public demands change. Right now, rewarding bad behavior is the philosophy of most schools. And of course our govt in general.

6. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    I understand.

I have a 16 month old son. I'm already saving for his private education. It doesn't help that I currently reside in a state that always ranks in the bottom 5 or top 5 on education lists... depending on how you word the question.

So he's heading off to private school despite the fact I'm a big proponent of public education. Hypocritical? Yes. But I have to do what is best for my son and right now that means Private Education. I'll just have to work harder with the area public schools to improve them.

7. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    All three of my kids go to public schools. But all of them are special schools, magnet schools etc so it isn't really a true public school in the bad sense.
    I would highly recommend the book Real Education by Charles Murray. He posits four basic "truths" among them are "students vary in ability." That sounds obvious but the ed establishment wants to pretend that the student with the lowest abilities can achieve as much as the student with the most ability, if you just spend enough.
    It isn't true. It was never true. We are punishing good students in an effort to make it true and damaging our own society.
    First step, take every officer in the teachers unions out back and line them up against the wall.

8. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,015
    If I had it to do over again, I would home school my son.

Public school is a fucking joke. Girls suspected of having Advil in their purses get strip searched. kids with a plastic butter knife in their lunch boxes get suspended or expelled. Teachers inspect lunches and confiscate cookies but no one is teaching our kids to read write or think.

yeah let's just give schools more money.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Tell me Kevin...who pays for the public education system where you live?

The FEDs?

What percentage of your local school system's budget comes from the FEDS?

Do you know?

I'll bet you don't know offhand.

But here you come telling us that the money the FEDS spend isn't working?

And you tell us this because the CATO insitute told you?

Now, having pointed out the flaw in your post, let me tell you that I AGREE with CATO that simply throwing moey at the problem is a waste of time in most cases.

The problem isn't money, the problem is the society from whence the children are drawn.

And THAT is a LOCAL problem, sport.

10. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,330
    Your false analysis results from hasty generalization, SP, and outright illiterate statements. If you are using hyperbole to catch attention, then your post has some limited use: how not to argue.

The problem is how to have local control of our public schools, how to keep them adedquately funded, and how to make sure the poorer students have the exact same facilities, opportunities, and quality of teachers that those students from better neighborhoods have.