Should Students Be Paid to Do Well in School?

Their payment is in knowledge, and good grades, which will get them in to a good college, and set them up for a good paying job down the road.

Their payment is in knowledge, and good grades, which will get them in to a good college, and set them up for a good paying job down the road.

the problem I have with that is that no one merely works for the pleasure of working; rather, they get paid to perform. Neither knowledge, good grades or a good college guarantees "a good paying job down the road". And, to be honest, if you dangle the carrot of eventual salary (which would itself be based on performance of a job function) then why would you not expect kids who are paid for grades to put forth a similar effort in performance? I think your perspective has been outmoded by 50 years. If anything, paying kids for grades would prepare them more for how our employment system works than telling them that learning is, itself, it's own reward.

it isn't fair that smart people make more money than dumb people....

BYU NewsNet - A Redistribution of Grades, Inspired by Barack Obama

The hard work and effort of those who have struggled through their education to get the best grades possible now have the opportunity to give back. For you who have worked hard and are getting A's and A-'s, you will now receive a B+! Have no fear, this is in no way degrading your efforts! Rather, this will be for the benefit of all your classmates as no child will be left behind. Your grades are now being deducted and the difference is being given to those who receive D's and F's so that every student will pass with at least a C! After all, how unfair is it to label some of your classmates as failures? Just because they don't see the need for studying or putting much effort into their education doesn't mean it's their fault.

And so, in an effort to promote equality among students, there will now be a redistribution of grades. In this system, each student passes regardless of effort or intelligence gained. Now, don't let this deter those of you who go the extra mile in trying to learn, there's still plenty of incentive for you to try and get better grades! You must always remember that your efforts no longer just concern you and your aspirations. Your fellow students now depend on you to get them to the finish line, whether they jog there of their own accord or you have to drag them, kicking and screaming, to graduation. The success of this program depends on you!

The greatest impact this new program will have is in the workplace! You see, this program is also being implemented in colleges and universities all across the nation! Students will now, more than ever, depend on the efforts of these A students to get them their passing grades in every class. Again, regardless of effort, everyone receives a passing grade in classes of higher learning. This will be the same in trade, law, medical and graduate schools as well! Think of it, there will never be a labor shortage again as an influx of "passing" workers flood the market! Sure, there might be a rise in flooded basements and guilty persons going free as otherwise incompetent employees are now given positions of trust in society. But at least we can rest assured every night knowing that despite our intellectual mistakes at work, there were those out there who were willing to sacrifice their hard-earned grades so we could pass every year in school.

If the parents want to pay their children for good grades I have no problem with it, but giving a government subsidy to students who do good is wrong. Also, there's nothing "capitalistic" about this program as the article claims. Capitalism is the free exchange of goods or services. Taking money from taxpayers to pay children to learn is not "capitalistic."

My sister and I got paid for good grades and I continued that tradition with my two boys, but with a twist: A grade of "C" was considered a negative and I took money away. Here's how it worked:

I gave them 10 dollars for an "A", 5 dollars for "B" but for "C"s I'd subtract 5 dollars, 10 for a "D" and any "F" negated all other earnings. My wife and I did this because we consider our boys above average and never accepted anything less from them.

My youngest caught on right away and was soon maxing the system (I swear he has laser focus) but my oldest hated to study and was in the negative at first. And of course we made him pay us!

But I tell ya what, I'll never forget the look of accomplishment on his face when one grading period he actually earned 5 dollars!

My sister and I got paid for good grades and I continued that tradition with my two boys, but with a twist: A grade of "C" was considered a negative and I took money away. Here's how it worked:

I gave them 10 dollars for an "A", 5 dollars for "B" but for "C"s I'd subtract 5 dollars, 10 for a "D" and any "F" negated all other earnings. My wife and I did this because we consider our boys above average and never accepted anything less from them.

My youngest caught on right away and was soon maxing the system (I swear he has laser focus) but my oldest hated to study and was in the negative at first. And of course we made him pay us!

But I tell ya what, I'll never forget the look of accomplishment on his face when one grading period he actually earned 5 dollars!

Sounds like a nice voluntary system.

I say this gently -- your youngest boy may have learned how to cheat without getting caught. My friends who are fulltime high school and college instructors have told me that cheating has grown rampant because the grade is the end all and be all. Add money to the mix is not going to help matters any.

Last edited:
I've got a better idea. Fine them for bad grades. Fine them for missing school and causing trouble.

Kids shouldn't have to be rewarded for doing the right thing. If parents do it, fine, but taxpayers pay enough for education. Good Lord In other countries they have to pay to go to school! Maybe that's a better idea. No wonder they take their education more seriously.

I teach special ed. My students get the same diploma as everyone else without even having to pass the state test. Should they also get money over a kid getting Cs in an honor class?

Bad idea in my opinion.

I say this gently -- your youngest boy learned how to cheat without getting caught, I think.
I'll say this gently, you don't know what you're talking about. My wife and I were never absentee parents like most Liberals are.

My boys have attended DOD schools, Montessori, American Public Schools and Japanese schools and did well in all. Why? Because we made education the center of attention in our home.

The key to raising children to have an edge is reading. My parents were and still are voracious readers. My mother collected First Editions and my father always brought home a wide variety of monthly periodicals that included but were not limited to:
National Geographic
Time
Scientific American
Popular Mechanics
Newsweek
Weekend Editions of Varied Newspapers
Hot Rod
Car Craft
Mad
Cracked
Air Classics
Model Airplane News just to name a few.

My parents also took me and my sister to numerous museums and attractions all over Southern California, many of which were and still are free. We did the same with our kids.

My sister didn't do that with her kids and you know what happened? One is in jail and the other married a loser. That actually fits because she married a weight lifting H.S. dropout with a criminal record.

Stupid fcukin' Liberals think that the All Mighty State should care for their children you know why? Because they don't want to! They're just self centered assholes. Liberals think children are just baggage and many think children are a cancer on this earth! "All we did is fcuk, why should we be saddled with this burden?"

How do you think kids feel when they hear that shit? They turn into EMO's and start cutting themselves that's what they do.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant this long. /rant. (takes a deep breath)

What about instead, rewarding good grades with scholarships to a college or trade school of your choice? Wouldn't that make more sense?

What about instead, rewarding good grades with scholarships to a college or trade school of your choice? Wouldn't that make more sense?

I would figure this is more needed at the college level than anything. Students can't afford to the colleges they want a lot now more than ever because of costs.

Many states offer scholarships for kids in the top 10 percent of their class. That's a wonderful idea except... Many kids in spec ed make honor roll and go on to community college. Although a few do well, a majority fail out. They are using a good portion of the NJStars scholarship money which is now broke. Good idea with unintended consequences.

Who should be rewarded are the "GOOD" students. I attended a University for Engineering on the GI bill. Still, I ended up with 58 thousand dollars I had to pay back. I was on the National Dean's List every semester.

Obama and his wife finished school owing thousands of dollars they didn't pay off until Obama wrote two best sellers. He was nearly 40 years old.

Then I look at people like Bush. Jumped over thousands, "earned" a C minus average - but had the money and connections.

And John McCain - graduated 5th from the bottom out of 899 Cadets. He was only in the Naval Academy because of daddy's connections.

So sure, pay for good grades. Give weight to the subjects. An A in Differential Linear Equations would receive more than an A in Home Economics.

One way to dumb down our system is to pad it with rich dummies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back