Should Students Be Paid to Do Well in School?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Shogun, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
  2. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    They will get paid in due time...due time I say!

3. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
  4. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Their payment is in knowledge, and good grades, which will get them in to a good college, and set them up for a good paying job down the road.

5. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    the problem I have with that is that no one merely works for the pleasure of working; rather, they get paid to perform. Neither knowledge, good grades or a good college guarantees "a good paying job down the road". And, to be honest, if you dangle the carrot of eventual salary (which would itself be based on performance of a job function) then why would you not expect kids who are paid for grades to put forth a similar effort in performance? I think your perspective has been outmoded by 50 years. If anything, paying kids for grades would prepare them more for how our employment system works than telling them that learning is, itself, it's own reward.

6. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    it isn't fair that smart people make more money than dumb people....

BYU NewsNet - A Redistribution of Grades, Inspired by Barack Obama

The hard work and effort of those who have struggled through their education to get the best grades possible now have the opportunity to give back. For you who have worked hard and are getting A's and A-'s, you will now receive a B+! Have no fear, this is in no way degrading your efforts! Rather, this will be for the benefit of all your classmates as no child will be left behind. Your grades are now being deducted and the difference is being given to those who receive D's and F's so that every student will pass with at least a C! After all, how unfair is it to label some of your classmates as failures? Just because they don't see the need for studying or putting much effort into their education doesn't mean it's their fault.

And so, in an effort to promote equality among students, there will now be a redistribution of grades. In this system, each student passes regardless of effort or intelligence gained. Now, don't let this deter those of you who go the extra mile in trying to learn, there's still plenty of incentive for you to try and get better grades! You must always remember that your efforts no longer just concern you and your aspirations. Your fellow students now depend on you to get them to the finish line, whether they jog there of their own accord or you have to drag them, kicking and screaming, to graduation. The success of this program depends on you!

The greatest impact this new program will have is in the workplace! You see, this program is also being implemented in colleges and universities all across the nation! Students will now, more than ever, depend on the efforts of these A students to get them their passing grades in every class. Again, regardless of effort, everyone receives a passing grade in classes of higher learning. This will be the same in trade, law, medical and graduate schools as well! Think of it, there will never be a labor shortage again as an influx of "passing" workers flood the market! Sure, there might be a rise in flooded basements and guilty persons going free as otherwise incompetent employees are now given positions of trust in society. But at least we can rest assured every night knowing that despite our intellectual mistakes at work, there were those out there who were willing to sacrifice their hard-earned grades so we could pass every year in school.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
  8. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    If the parents want to pay their children for good grades I have no problem with it, but giving a government subsidy to students who do good is wrong. Also, there's nothing "capitalistic" about this program as the article claims. Capitalism is the free exchange of goods or services. Taking money from taxpayers to pay children to learn is not "capitalistic."

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    My sister and I got paid for good grades and I continued that tradition with my two boys, but with a twist: A grade of "C" was considered a negative and I took money away. Here's how it worked:

I gave them 10 dollars for an "A", 5 dollars for "B" but for "C"s I'd subtract 5 dollars, 10 for a "D" and any "F" negated all other earnings. My wife and I did this because we consider our boys above average and never accepted anything less from them.

My youngest caught on right away and was soon maxing the system (I swear he has laser focus) but my oldest hated to study and was in the negative at first. And of course we made him pay us!

But I tell ya what, I'll never forget the look of accomplishment on his face when one grading period he actually earned 5 dollars!

10. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Sounds like a nice voluntary system.