Favorite Philosopher?

Read it at your own leisure.

A lot of "facts" about the Great Depression are myths and outright political propaganda.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

you tell em, fraudy

I like your signature quote.

Popeye of course...

popeye.jpg

Because he's a sailor or old school thought< humor seems to matter alot for some in choices of philosophy. :cool:

It was the first thing that popped into my noggin'.
40 years ago I was taking a Philosophy test in college. I forget who we were studying at the time, or the question on the test. But in my answer, I referenced Popeye and his famous quote. It was an accurate analogy to that philosopher's teachings. I was right, but the prof gave me a failing grade LOL.

I hate Professors that get caught up in systematic institutionalized thinking, good for you in bucking that system.:cool:

Because he's a sailor or old school thought< humor seems to matter alot for some in choices of philosophy. :cool:

40 years ago I was taking a Philosophy test in college. I forget who we were studying at the time, or the question on the test. But in my answer, I referenced Popeye and his famous quote. It was an accurate analogy to that philosopher's teachings. I was right, but the prof gave me a failing grade LOL.

I hate Professors that get caught up in systematic institutionalized thinking, good for you in bucking that system.:cool:

Like you say, humor seems to matter for some.

I often inerject humor throughout my expressions and observations in life.

Even Alfred Hitchcock is quoted as saying “Puns are the highest form of literature.”

Like you say, humor seems to matter for some.

I often inerject humor throughout my expressions and observations in life.

Even Alfred Hitchcock is quoted as saying &#8220;Puns are the highest form of literature.&#8221;

Sure, I remember when a friend of our family was murdered and we were all in shock and feeling pretty bad, that right in the middle of that pain someone speculated about who did the murder and for some reason humorous suggestions were made, ( it wasn't really funny) but it was like a laughing over the crying kind of thing.

Humor is pretty powerful.

Yup.

Anyhow- sorry to sidetrack your thread. I've got nothing substantive to contribute. Other than required college reading, I've not studied philosophy.

Carry on...

Some humorists and stand-up comedians are very much the equivalent of what would be termed philosophers of today. Alive and dead.

Will Rogers
George Carlin
Bill Cosby

First to come to mind for me on the favorite list:

John Stuart Mill

I always have an impression that libertarians are out for themselves in a need for self-sufficiency and liberty I sometimes think they do not care for others who have a viewpoint of wanting a more cooperative society and less individualistic.

It sounds like from his brief excerpts his focus is on respecting others choices should be an interesting read.:cool:

I suspect a good many libertarians would surprise you on this front. Most of those I've known and associated with aren't individualists in the sense you're referring to (rugged, self-sufficient, loners, etc...). And most of us are very pro-community. We're just anti-bullying, in all its forms, even if it supposedly benefits society.

I always have an impression that libertarians are out for themselves in a need for self-sufficiency and liberty I sometimes think they do not care for others who have a viewpoint of wanting a more cooperative society and less individualistic.

It sounds like from his brief excerpts his focus is on respecting others choices should be an interesting read.:cool:

I suspect a good many libertarians would surprise you on this front. Most of those I've known and associated with aren't individualists in the sense you're referring to (rugged, self-sufficient, loners, etc...). And most of us are very pro-community. We're just anti-bullying, in all its forms, even if it supposedly benefits society.

I don't mean to give the wrong impression my best friend is a libertarian.

I told him our ideologies may clash so much that it could effect our relationship.

This is why I have to come here to talk about things on my mind philosophically or politically, because here it is impersonal. :lol:

Libertarians say they want the states rights to rule.

But did you know that 13 states never ratified the era for women?

Why not break away from the union and have your own country then?

There are benefits to the Federal Government in my opinion and one of them is protecting the underdog, something I haven't seen very many states talk about.

What are your feelings on civil laws?

Tell me about your favorite philosopher.....:cool:

I told him our ideologies may clash so much that it could effect our relationship.

This is why I have to come here to talk about things on my mind philosophically or politically, because here it is impersonal. :lol:

There are benefits to the Federal Government in my opinion and one of them is protecting the underdog, something I haven't seen very many states talk about.

My favorites are Daniel Dennett and Douglas Hofstadter. Though my son refers to them (derisively) as 'scientists' and not philosophers. (he's working on his PhD in the topic.)

Hofstadter wrote my favorite book ("Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid"), and Dennett has written several books on the nature of consciousness, religion, free will, etc...

Last edited:
One of the very few books I kept from my college days.

Attachments

• $IMAG0589(1).jpg
    $IMAG0589(1).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 85

My favorites are Daniel Dennett and Douglas Hofstadter. Though my son refers to them (derisively) as 'scientists' and not philosophers. (he's working on his PhD in the topic.)

Hofstadter wrote my favorite book ("Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid"), and Dennett has written several books on the nature of consciousness, religion, free will, etc...

Looks interesting science and zen:cool:

Forum List

Back