Favorite Philosopher?

Yogi Berra

caricature_yogi_berra.jpg

Last edited:
drifter, am I going too far off thread if I ask to also include favorite philosophical phrases/one-liners?

"If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it does it make a sound?"
How the Hell would I know?
(Just made that one up. :D)

drifter, am I going too far off thread if I ask to also include favorite philosophical phrases/one-liners?

"If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it does it make a sound?"
How the Hell would I know?
(Just made that one up. :D)

:badgrin:

It's a free-for-all type of thread

Here's one from French revolutionary Frédéric Bastiat...Easy to read and digest.

The Law, by Frederic Bastiat

He's an economist :)
Would that necessarily preclude such a person from holding forth on matters of philosophy?.... The Law is a philosophical treatise, not at all unlike F. A. Hayek's (an economist) seminal political philosophy work The Road To Serfdom.

I am still reading your first recommendation.

It takes me time because I read and then ponder and read.

Of course there are all kinds of philosophers, they all contribute something to think about.

I am just going through a life changing type of thing so I seem to gravitate to metaphysical philosophy right now.

But I really do appreciate your contribution :cool:

I will go out on a limb and say Carl Jung. I know, not exactly a philosopher, but his work profoundly influenced, and was influenced by, philosophy. Philosophy guided his work, both physical and metaphysical aspects of it.

I particularly like his commentary on individual rights and the state. The following excerpt from Wikipedia provides a pretty decent summary:

Jung stressed the importance of individual rights in a person's relation to the state and society. He saw that the state was treated as "a quasi-animate personality from whom everything is expected" but that this personality was "only camouflage for those individuals who know how to manipulate it", and referred to the state as a form of slavery. He also thought that the state "swallowed up [people's] religious forces", and therefore that the state had "taken the place of God"—making it comparable to a religion in which "state slavery is a form of worship". Jung observed that "stage acts of [the] state" are comparable to religious displays: "Brass bands, flags, banners, parades and monster demonstrations are no different in principle from ecclesiastical processions, cannonades and fire to scare off demons". From Jung's perspective, this replacement of God with the state in a mass society led to the dislocation of the religious drive and resulted in the same fanaticism of the church-states of the Dark Ages—wherein the more the state is 'worshipped', the more freedom and morality are suppressed; this ultimately leaves the individual psychically undeveloped with extreme feelings of marginalization.

I will go out on a limb and say Carl Jung. I know, not exactly a philosopher, but his work profoundly influenced, and was influenced by, philosophy. Philosophy guided his work, both physical and metaphysical aspects of it.

I particularly like his commentary on individual rights and the state. The following excerpt from Wikipedia provides a pretty decent summary:

Jung stressed the importance of individual rights in a person's relation to the state and society. He saw that the state was treated as "a quasi-animate personality from whom everything is expected" but that this personality was "only camouflage for those individuals who know how to manipulate it", and referred to the state as a form of slavery. He also thought that the state "swallowed up [people's] religious forces", and therefore that the state had "taken the place of God"—making it comparable to a religion in which "state slavery is a form of worship". Jung observed that "stage acts of [the] state" are comparable to religious displays: "Brass bands, flags, banners, parades and monster demonstrations are no different in principle from ecclesiastical processions, cannonades and fire to scare off demons". From Jung's perspective, this replacement of God with the state in a mass society led to the dislocation of the religious drive and resulted in the same fanaticism of the church-states of the Dark Ages—wherein the more the state is 'worshipped', the more freedom and morality are suppressed; this ultimately leaves the individual psychically undeveloped with extreme feelings of marginalization.

I like Jung to, humans are unique in that they have a conscience and they are aware of their own mortality.

Who is your favorite Philosopher and why?

How did you come into learning about them and what is their particular philosophical belief that struck a chord with you?

If no favorite is there one Philosopher you just can't stand, if yes who and why?

Me. I nearly always agree with him.

Bertrand Russell at the moment... However I must confess; I really don't form philosophical crushes either an idea sticks with me or it doesn't.

Forum List

Back