Expectations of Minimum Wage

I'm sure this thread has been done to death, but I have never followed any as of yet. I think it boils down to one simple question. Are minimum wage jobs meant to support and raise families, to be the primary income for families? Does it make sense for someone working at McDonald's for 30 hrs a week, if they can get those hours, to say hey, I think I'll have three kids? I know many Republicans make the erroneous statement that it is just high school kids getting their first jobs. Many, many adults work minimum wage jobs, and many adults are not able to move up to better jobs. This doesn't change anything however, because if you are an adult, I would hope you would not try to start a family on a minimum wage job. Why do Democrats think that adults who work minimum wage jobs should have kids they can't afford? I have a strong hunch that the attempt to make every single job in America a bread winning family supporting job is a folly. Does it make sense that every job should guarantee the ability to raise a family? I think it makes more sense for people to wait to have kids until if or when they can afford them. Is that a radical idea?

I dunno. Its a deep topic. Minimum wage going up is going to cause inflation. Inflation will lessen the burden of plenty of bad mortgages.

Also consider those for illegals are effectively for people working under minimum wage. Those against illegals are demanding businesses pay at least minimum wage.

Most inflation is caused by investor returns. In the mid-70's investors received 10% of net profit, today it's 50%.

Most inflation is caused by investor returns.

Toro

What do you think?

Investor as in investors in real estate? That seems to snowball based on short term returns.

Investor return on widget manufacturing has a different effect when more folks figure out how tobskirt big government regulations and make widgets flooding the market on something like flat screen tv's

Why is that bad? What are you talking about?

Do you want everything to be more expensive? Because that is effectively saying you want everyone poorer.

When someone says "flood the market" to me that means we can get more goods cheaper. Because that is the effect. We get more goods cheaper.

So by all means flood the market. I'd love to be able to replace my car, with a better car at a lower price. How is this bad?

Catch 22, don't you see your the cause of the problem not the solution?

You want cheap low quality goods from China, yet you want high wages.

Too many jobs require experience only or college degrees and then only pay $10 an hour or less. My Nephew handles thousands of dollars a day in sales and only makes a bit over $8 an hour. Positions of responsibility should pay more.

Supply and demand

Price of everything?

Minimum wage has not kept pace with any basic commodity

Price of everything?

Price of tuition. Price of healthcare.

Just to name the two biggest.

Why should it?
Because minimum wage is our starter wage. Not intended to support a family but to allow a worker to establish themselves in the workforce. Get an education, buy a car, get a place to live

$7.25 does not do that

Why do you think it should be enough to do those things?
It's meant for the least skilled, least experienced.
People who should be taking the bus, living with parents, still in high school.
Currently, less than 2% make MW or less.
I don't get out of bed for less than $10 an hour. And if you actually want me to labor you damn well better pay more than that.
Too many jobs pay minimum wage, or just a bit over minimum wage that require experience to do them, or adulthood responsibility to do them. They aren't jobs made for kids. You are wrong.

Too many jobs pay minimum wage,

Less than 2%.
I sell vacations for a living an average of 10k per sale and I only make $11.50 an hour.

Too many jobs require experience only or college degrees and then only pay $10 an hour or less. My Nephew handles thousands of dollars a day in sales and only makes a bit over $8 an hour. Positions of responsibility should pay more.

Supply and demand
Exactly why we need to seal the border. Cut off the Supply of people willing to live like animals and work their asses off.

Price of everything?

Why should it?
Because minimum wage is our starter wage. Not intended to support a family but to allow a worker to establish themselves in the workforce. Get an education, buy a car, get a place to live

$7.25 does not do that

I don't get out of bed for less than $10 an hour. And if you actually want me to labor you damn well better pay more than that.
Too many jobs pay minimum wage, or just a bit over minimum wage that require experience to do them, or adulthood responsibility to do them. They aren't jobs made for kids. You are wrong.

Less than 2%.
I sell vacations for a living an average of 10k per sale and I only make $11.50 an hour.

You sound like a good salesman.
Get your insurance license.

I'm sure this thread has been done to death, but I have never followed any as of yet. I think it boils down to one simple question. Are minimum wage jobs meant to support and raise families, to be the primary income for families? Does it make sense for someone working at McDonald's for 30 hrs a week, if they can get those hours, to say hey, I think I'll have three kids? I know many Republicans make the erroneous statement that it is just high school kids getting their first jobs. Many, many adults work minimum wage jobs, and many adults are not able to move up to better jobs. This doesn't change anything however, because if you are an adult, I would hope you would not try to start a family on a minimum wage job. Why do Democrats think that adults who work minimum wage jobs should have kids they can't afford? I have a strong hunch that the attempt to make every single job in America a bread winning family supporting job is a folly. Does it make sense that every job should guarantee the ability to raise a family? I think it makes more sense for people to wait to have kids until if or when they can afford them. Is that a radical idea?

I dunno. Its a deep topic. Minimum wage going up is going to cause inflation. Inflation will lessen the burden of plenty of bad mortgages.

Also consider those for illegals are effectively for people working under minimum wage. Those against illegals are demanding businesses pay at least minimum wage.

Most inflation is caused by investor returns. In the mid-70's investors received 10% of net profit, today it's 50%.

Toro

What do you think?

Investor as in investors in real estate? That seems to snowball based on short term returns.

Investor return on widget manufacturing has a different effect when more folks figure out how tobskirt big government regulations and make widgets flooding the market on something like flat screen tv's

Don't pretend OnePercenter's idiocy is logical.

Based on what?

The total shareholder payout is going to be dramatically different between companies based on the number of outstanding shares.

It is also going to be dramatically different between companies that are buying back shares, and companies that are not.

Besides that, you people on the left claim you want to get money out of corporations, and into the hands of citizens.

Well, the largest investors in corporate stock, is pensions and retirement plans. Wouldn't a higher payout of profits going to the people, be a good thing?

I am on the cell and need to use more words.

If Sony can make a flat tv and turn a good profit another company is going to steal the patent of they have to or get around it and make a flat tv themselves. Then another and another and the price of flat tv's will deflate not inflate.

Make it a finite item like land and you may see a rush, infation, one folks start flippin for profit more follow

Well I'm not sure how your post relates to mine, but no matter, I can roll with it.

No actually that isn't actually true. Land itself, isn't entirely finite. Numerous examples can be made where land was created.
https://gizmodo.com/watch-new-york-city-s-boundaries-expand-over-250-years-496440467

New York is a great example where the amount of land available has dramatically increased over the years.

Another way in which land is created, is by draining un-livable swamp land, and making it habitable. Or clearing rough terrain into build-able plots.

Additionally you can create more land, through larger buildings. If you have a high rise condo, you are effectively creating more land, because you are using the same land multiple times.

So I would disagree with the finite land theory.

The value of land is a function of demand and supply. Both are fluid. And we know that because prices dramatically increased following 1997, and then dramatically crashed in 2007. If what you said was true, then prices should never have crashed. After all, people were flipping property all the way into 2009.

We also can see clearly that places like Appalachia, the price of property is really cheap. Property in Detroit is really cheap. In fact even in growing cities, you can find cheap property.

Places that at one time were rather expensive, now are inexpensive.

Besides that, in many cases the places where property is super expensive, is actually for the exact opposite reason that you listed.

It isn't people flipping houses causing prices to go up. It's the lack thereof. In San Fransisco, the problem isn't that too many companies and investors have been building up the area, it's the exact opposite. The city is actively preventing development, which has kept the supply of homes far below the demand.

If companies were able to move in and create apartment complexes, the supply of housing would increase, and the prices would fall. As is, the supply of housing is more static, while the population keeps increasing.

Toro

What do you think?

Do you want everything to be more expensive? Because that is effectively saying you want everyone poorer.

When someone says "flood the market" to me that means we can get more goods cheaper. Because that is the effect. We get more goods cheaper.

So by all means flood the market. I'd love to be able to replace my car, with a better car at a lower price. How is this bad?

Catch 22, don't you see your the cause of the problem not the solution?

You want cheap low quality goods from China, yet you want high wages.

I don't see any connection between the two.

Wages are a function of your ability to produce something of value in the market place.

Whether there is any goods from China or not, your wage will not go up until you produce something of greater value.

If we blocked off all imports today, first our economy would crash... but lets pretend it would not.... I'm still not going to pay $30,000 for a $15,000 car. If there are no alternatives, I'll keep driving my 03 Grand Marquis. I'm not paying more for something, just because there isn't a cheap alternative. I simply will do without.

This is exactly what happened in Cuba, and Venezuela, and is happening in Russia right now.

Just because you jack up prices, doesn't mean you'll get a higher wage. It just means all of us will live more poorly and do without stuff.

And honestly you should consider that.. If your plan worked, then Russia should be in the middle of the biggest economic boom in Russian history. They can't import all those cheap European goods. They should be having huge increases in wages, and everyone should be happy.

Instead they are in a wreck.

Beside all that... automation will happen with or without imports. Those jobs are not coming back.

When Trump was running in 2016, people were talking about this auto plant that opened in Mexico. So I looked it up, and the planet was one of the most automated in all of the Americas. The plant manager was talking about how they reduced the number of employees needed by 300,000 with all the automation they had going on.

If you moved that plant back here.... they would still be automating everything possible.

This idea we are going to revert back to the 1920s with middle class jobs making Model Ts, is just not realistic.

Toro

What do you think?

I didn't say either case was bad.

Now that you have me thinking about it IN general I don't like macro effects of more than 3%. It destabilizes the system. I guess we can argue about the negative effects of prices raising or falling more than 3% in a year out pacing the market's ability to keep up.

We're grasping straws here on things to argue about though.

Based on what?

The total shareholder payout is going to be dramatically different between companies based on the number of outstanding shares.

It is also going to be dramatically different between companies that are buying back shares, and companies that are not.

Besides that, you people on the left claim you want to get money out of corporations, and into the hands of citizens.

Well, the largest investors in corporate stock, is pensions and retirement plans. Wouldn't a higher payout of profits going to the people, be a good thing?

I am on the cell and need to use more words.

If Sony can make a flat tv and turn a good profit another company is going to steal the patent of they have to or get around it and make a flat tv themselves. Then another and another and the price of flat tv's will deflate not inflate.

Make it a finite item like land and you may see a rush, infation, one folks start flippin for profit more follow

Well I'm not sure how your post relates to mine, but no matter, I can roll with it.

No actually that isn't actually true. Land itself, isn't entirely finite. Numerous examples can be made where land was created.
https://gizmodo.com/watch-new-york-city-s-boundaries-expand-over-250-years-496440467

New York is a great example where the amount of land available has dramatically increased over the years.

Another way in which land is created, is by draining un-livable swamp land, and making it habitable. Or clearing rough terrain into build-able plots.

Additionally you can create more land, through larger buildings. If you have a high rise condo, you are effectively creating more land, because you are using the same land multiple times.

So I would disagree with the finite land theory.

The value of land is a function of demand and supply. Both are fluid. And we know that because prices dramatically increased following 1997, and then dramatically crashed in 2007. If what you said was true, then prices should never have crashed. After all, people were flipping property all the way into 2009.

We also can see clearly that places like Appalachia, the price of property is really cheap. Property in Detroit is really cheap. In fact even in growing cities, you can find cheap property.

Places that at one time were rather expensive, now are inexpensive.

Besides that, in many cases the places where property is super expensive, is actually for the exact opposite reason that you listed.

It isn't people flipping houses causing prices to go up. It's the lack thereof. In San Fransisco, the problem isn't that too many companies and investors have been building up the area, it's the exact opposite. The city is actively preventing development, which has kept the supply of homes far below the demand.

If companies were able to move in and create apartment complexes, the supply of housing would increase, and the prices would fall. As is, the supply of housing is more static, while the population keeps increasing.

So you want to debate if livable space is finite?

On the one end, the planet isn't getting larger.

On the other we're doing more obnoxious things to make more land livable.

Despite the trouble the Dutch go through I'm going to say land is effectually finite. Consider the trouble of building a new high rise within a few miles of the bay. Gonna cost more than plopping that trailer down where there is room.

$7.25 does not do that

Absolutely
Starting wage
Meant for young workers trying to move up the ladder

I could pay my college tuition making minimum wage over the summer in the 70s.

Today’s college students have to work all summer and then take out massive student loans to get through school

Why should students have to go into dept so that employers can get low cost labor?

Starting wage

Yup. Decent workers quickly earn more.

That was before trillions of dollars of government money were poured into the system.

Why should students have to go into dept so that employers can get low cost labor?

I agree, stop giving unlimited government loans to anyone with a pulse.
All unrelated to the $7.25 wage

Students need those loans because minimum wages no longer pay enough for tuition. Those loans subsidize employers who profit off of low cost labor

Students need those loans because minimum wages no longer pay enough for tuition.

Tuition is no longer affordable because government has thrown trillions at college tuition.
Cut off the money flow, colleges would have to layoff professors, like Elizabeth Warren, who had light workloads and fat paychecks. They'd have to stop wasting millions on giant football stadiums, climbing walls FFS, etc. etc. and get back to basics at affordable prices.

Those loans subsidize employers who profit off of low cost labor

Oh, please. Very few students work through school anymore, because they can borrow unlimited amounts from the Feds.
More than tuition is out of reach for those earning minimum wage

A car, an apartment, basic necessities....all I could buy on a $2.10 minimum wage.

Students borrow because they have no other choice given the wages they are paid

Price of everything?

Price of everything?

Why should it?

$7.25 does not do that

Less than 2%.
How many pay less than $10?

It is not just minimum wage but all low skilled jobs

Absolutely
Starting wage

Today’s college students have to work all summer and then take out massive student loans to get through school

Starting wage

That was before trillions of dollars of government money were poured into the system.

Students need those loans because minimum wages no longer pay enough for tuition. Those loans subsidize employers who profit off of low cost labor

Students need those loans because minimum wages no longer pay enough for tuition.

Tuition is no longer affordable because government has thrown trillions at college tuition.
Cut off the money flow, colleges would have to layoff professors, like Elizabeth Warren, who had light workloads and fat paychecks. They'd have to stop wasting millions on giant football stadiums, climbing walls FFS, etc. etc. and get back to basics at affordable prices.

Oh, please. Very few students work through school anymore, because they can borrow unlimited amounts from the Feds.

A car, an apartment, basic necessities....all I could buy on a $2.10 minimum wage.

That's funny.
Tuition via all manner of grants available is well within reach of ANYONE who applies themselves.

Absolutely
Starting wage

Starting wage

That's funny.
Tuition via all manner of grants available is well within reach of ANYONE who applies themselves.

Grants are limited
We are not talking about affordability of tuition for top students, but affordability for all students

Starting wage

That's funny.

Grants are limited
We are not talking about affordability of tuition for top students, but affordability for all students

Which has risen dramatically primarily due to government involvement. Millions of students getting a free ride, no strings attached, including enough funds for room and board, that never graduate.
This encourages schools to raise tuition, which the government seems to have no limit to just saying "ok" and pay up.

Oh and BTW rightwinger - you know what the fastest sector of university spending is??
Quad apartment complexes that they charge exuberant rent for and make $millions doing it.
And many schools have them filled mostly with government subsidized students.

Absolutely
Starting wage

Starting wage

Of course, because no one expects the bottom 2% of earners to live a middle class lifestyle.

Something like 3 million earn MW or less. College students number about 16 million.
Hardly any college students work. At all.

That's funny.

Grants are limited

Which has risen dramatically primarily due to government involvement. Millions of students getting a free ride, no strings attached, including enough funds for room and board, that never graduate.
This encourages schools to raise tuition, which the government seems to have no limit to just saying "ok" and pay up.
If it were just tuition, you may have a point

But it is all goods and services that are becoming out of reach at minimum wage

At $2.10 an hour, I could afford to buy a new car after working six months
At $7.25, you would have to work over a year

On an hours pay I could buy seven gallons of gas for that car. At $7.25 you can’t buy three

Absolutely
Starting wage

Starting wage

Of course, because no one expects the bottom 2% of earners to live a middle class lifestyle.

Something like 3 million earn MW or less. College students number about 16 million.
Hardly any college students work. At all.

Nobody said live a middle class lifestyle...I am talking paying for basics to get started in the workforce

My kids went to college and they worked. So did all their friends.

That's funny.

Grants are limited

If it were just tuition, you may have a point

But it is all goods and services that are becoming out of reach at minimum wage

At $2.10 an hour, I could afford to buy a new car after working six months
At $7.25, you would have to work over a year

On an hours pay I could buy seven gallons of gas for that car. At $7.25 you can’t buy three
Inflation on those items is the big problem also.
And you will get no argument from me that wages in America are far too stagnant.
It's what happens when our country became a corporatocracy

Forum List

Back