Can You Get a City Tax Return?

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
A long time ago someone had mentioned to me that if you work in a city that takes out city taxes, but you live in an area where there are no city income tax, you can file for a city income tax return from the city you work in. Is this true?

if you were a resident of NYC and worked in Jersey. they were nailing the poor schlubs TWICE
the path trains 20 minutes or less ...

Jersey got a slice and youre a NYC resident HELLO city income tax on top of your state and federal taxes

just an extra hand in yer wallet
YOU Dont need it its for the greater good
i'm sure its all spent very wisely by the right people with the right kind of thinks and huggie feelz

NO idea what it is today Never had that tax issue myself But im pretty sure jersey still smells

In NYC but I don't the current details. It started as a non-resident income tax in the 70s

When I first moved here I went to the library and asked if they had the city tax return form... and they looked at me like I had two heads and said Williamsburg doesn't have a city income tax. I work in Richmond however, and they do take out income tax. It is enough money that if this is true that I can get a return, I need to go through the trouble.

A long time ago someone had mentioned to me that if you work in a city that takes out city taxes, but you live in an area where there are no city income tax, you can file for a city income tax return from the city you work in. Is this true?

Generally yes. It is that way in DC though they probably shouldn't have ever taken the taxes to begin with if you are a non-resident working in the District unless your employer screwed up.

Mi cites have a income tax (some of them) if you live in the city you pay the full tax and if you only work in the city you pay half the tax, at least that I know of. After all you are using their roads and get your money in the city. It depends on your income on how much you pay and they have deductions as well, that I'm know about.

Forum List

Back