Expectations of Minimum Wage

... Unfortunately within each population segment of income brackets, the segments' population of income earners are distributed in the opposite manner; the lower wage rate earners are more, and the higher wage rate earners within their income brackets are less represented. Due to this being the cases, if the federal mineral wage rate's insufficient, the median wage rate's also comparatively insufficient. ...
Did you use a random word generator to create this gibberish?
ToddsterPatriot, other than the obvious error of referring to the "federal minimum" as the "federal mineral" wage rate, The paragraph's correct. Your difficulty is due to your inability to understand what you read. Respectfully, Supposn

... Unfortunately within each population segment of income brackets, the segments' population of income earners are distributed in the opposite manner; the lower wage rate earners are more, and the higher wage rate earners within their income brackets are less represented. Due to this being the cases, if the federal mineral wage rate's insufficient, the median wage rate's also comparatively insufficient. ...
Did you use a random word generator to create this gibberish?
ToddsterPatriot, other than the obvious error of referring to the "federal minimum" as the "federal mineral" wage rate, The paragraph's correct. Your difficulty is due to your inability to understand what you read. Respectfully, Supposn

I understand that you make silly claims and provide no back up or proof.
I also understand that you don't know what "median wage" means.

And that you ran away without responding to post #36. Try again?

Your pay and the pay of every other employee in the USA contributed to the calculation of the median wage.

Try this math problem. 99 workers. Lowest paid worker makes $1/hr. Next worker makes $2/hr. Next worker makes $3/hr. Next worker makes $4/hr...…..50th worker makes $50/hr. 77th worker makes $77/hr.

Notice the pattern yet?

98th worker makes $98/hr. 99th worker makes $99/hr. What is the median wage?

Now take the bottom 3 workers and pay them $4/hr. Pay the 4th worker $4.50/hr and the 5th worker $5.25/hr.

What is the new median wage?

If all wages rose proportionate to the mandated minimum increase from $7.25 to $8.25, I should be making about $36.00/hour. Where's all the sense of liberal fairness? Why am I not fairly compensated?
GallentWarrior, wages do not raise proportional to the mandated minimum increase.
ToddsterPatriot, ... Your pay and the pay of every other employee in the USA contributed to the calculation of the median wage. I do not tell fortunes or presume to predict to what extent the median wage's increase will increase beyond enforced increases of the minimum rate. Generally, increases of USA's wage scales are proportional and inversely related to the differences between the enforced minimum and the individual jobs' wage rates. ...

If all wages rose proportionate to the mandated minimum increase from $7.25 to $8.25, I should be making about $36.00/hour. Where's all the sense of liberal fairness? Why am I not fairly compensated?
GallentWarrior, wages do not raise proportional to the mandated minimum increase.
ToddsterPatriot, ... Your pay and the pay of every other employee in the USA contributed to the calculation of the median wage. I do not tell fortunes or presume to predict to what extent the median wage's increase will increase beyond enforced increases of the minimum rate. Generally, increases of USA's wage scales are proportional and inversely related to the differences between the enforced minimum and the individual jobs' wage rates. ...

Your pay and the pay of every other employee in the USA contributed to the calculation of the median wage.

What is the current median wage?

ToddsterPatriot, the Federal median wage rate to generally affects all USA wage rates to some extent. It has the greatest effect upon the lowest paid third of USA wage earners. Due to an increase of the minimum rate, the median rate of that entire third of USA's wage earners increases. This in turn causes wage increases for employees within the next, (i.e. the second) highest third of USA's wage earners and USA's median wage which is in the middle of that second bracket of wage earners.

The increases for those within the second population of wage earners' bracket is proportionally (to their wages), less than the increases for those within the first bracket. The increases for those within the third population bracket, (i.e. the highest earners') bracket is proportionally to their wages, less than the increases for those within the second bracket.

If you didn't understand post #53, I doubt if this post will be of much help to you. Regrettably, I apparently overestimated your abilities to comprehend wage differentials, or median wage, or economics

ToddsterPatriot, the Federal median wage rate to generally affects all USA wage rates to some extent. It has the greatest effect upon the lowest paid third of USA wage earners. Due to an increase of the minimum rate, the median rate of that entire third of USA's wage earners increases. This in turn causes wage increases for employees within the next, (i.e. the second) highest third of USA's wage earners and USA's median wage which is in the middle of that second bracket of wage earners.

The increases for those within the second population of wage earners' bracket is proportionally (to their wages), less than the increases for those within the first bracket. The increases for those within the third population bracket, (i.e. the highest earners') bracket is proportionally to their wages, less than the increases for those within the second bracket.

If you didn't understand post #53, I doubt if this post will be of much help to you. Regrettably, I apparently overestimated your abilities to comprehend wage differentials, or median wage, or economics

Do you understand the question?

Do you know what median means?

You guys arguing over stuff that's not worth arguing about. I don't care about median wages. I care about livable wages.

You guys arguing over stuff that's not worth arguing about. I don't care about median wages. I care about livable wages.
Zero is not a livable wage. When you ban low wage jobs, low wages workers get zero.

What we need is a minimum stupidity law.

If you are stupid enough, society makes you a Congressional Democrat.

SlyHunter, I'm a proponent for annually increasing the federal minimum wage rate by 12.5% until it exceeds 25% of its February 1968 Cost-Price Index value. There after it should be monitored and annually adjusted when necessary as not to fall below that purchasing power.

It's unlikely that a "livable wage" could be achieved prior to first substantially increasing the purchasing power of the federal minimum wage rate and annually sustaining that increased rate. wage" rate.

Respectfully, Supposn

SlyHunter, I'm a proponent for annually increasing the federal minimum wage rate by 12.5% until it exceeds 25% of its February 1968 Cost-Price Index value. There after it should be monitored and annually adjusted when necessary as not to fall below that purchasing power.

It's unlikely that a "livable wage" could be achieved prior to first substantially increasing the purchasing power of the federal minimum wage rate and annually sustaining that increased rate. wage" rate.

Respectfully, Supposn

until it exceeds 25% of its February 1968 Cost-Price Index value.

25%?

That would be less than $3 an hour.

I'm sure this thread has been done to death, but I have never followed any as of yet. I think it boils down to one simple question. Are minimum wage jobs meant to support and raise families, to be the primary income for families? Does it make sense for someone working at McDonald's for 30 hrs a week, if they can get those hours, to say hey, I think I'll have three kids? I know many Republicans make the erroneous statement that it is just high school kids getting their first jobs. Many, many adults work minimum wage jobs, and many adults are not able to move up to better jobs. This doesn't change anything however, because if you are an adult, I would hope you would not try to start a family on a minimum wage job. Why do Democrats think that adults who work minimum wage jobs should have kids they can't afford? I have a strong hunch that the attempt to make every single job in America a bread winning family supporting job is a folly. Does it make sense that every job should guarantee the ability to raise a family? I think it makes more sense for people to wait to have kids until if or when they can afford them. Is that a radical idea?

I dunno. Its a deep topic. Minimum wage going up is going to cause inflation. Inflation will lessen the burden of plenty of bad mortgages.

Also consider those for illegals are effectively for people working under minimum wage. Those against illegals are demanding businesses pay at least minimum wage.

Most inflation is caused by investor returns. In the mid-70's investors received 10% of net profit, today it's 50%.

I'm sure this thread has been done to death, but I have never followed any as of yet. I think it boils down to one simple question. Are minimum wage jobs meant to support and raise families, to be the primary income for families? Does it make sense for someone working at McDonald's for 30 hrs a week, if they can get those hours, to say hey, I think I'll have three kids? I know many Republicans make the erroneous statement that it is just high school kids getting their first jobs. Many, many adults work minimum wage jobs, and many adults are not able to move up to better jobs. This doesn't change anything however, because if you are an adult, I would hope you would not try to start a family on a minimum wage job. Why do Democrats think that adults who work minimum wage jobs should have kids they can't afford? I have a strong hunch that the attempt to make every single job in America a bread winning family supporting job is a folly. Does it make sense that every job should guarantee the ability to raise a family? I think it makes more sense for people to wait to have kids until if or when they can afford them. Is that a radical idea?

I dunno. Its a deep topic. Minimum wage going up is going to cause inflation. Inflation will lessen the burden of plenty of bad mortgages.

Also consider those for illegals are effectively for people working under minimum wage. Those against illegals are demanding businesses pay at least minimum wage.

Most inflation is caused by investor returns. In the mid-70's investors received 10% of net profit, today it's 50%.

Most inflation is caused by investor returns.

Toro

What do you think?

Let’s look at it this way

When I made minimum wage at $2.10 an hour in the 70s, I was able to pay for a year of college after working three months. I could buy a new car after working six months. On an hours work, I could buy seven gallons of gas for that car.

It would take you $15 an hour to do the same today

When I made minimum wage at $2.10 an hour in the 70s, I was able to pay for a year of college after working three months. I could buy a new car after working six months. On an hours work, I could buy seven gallons of gas for that car.

When I made minimum wage at $2.10 an hour in the 70s, I was able to pay for a year of college after working three months.

Throw trillions of government dollars into demand, without increasing supply, you'll cause the price to go up.

you didn't have 50 million illegal Mexicans in this country in 1970, We were still exporting more then we were importing, it didn't change till the mid 1980'S

When I made minimum wage at $2.10 an hour in the 70s, I was able to pay for a year of college after working three months.

Throw trillions of government dollars into demand, without increasing supply, you'll cause the price to go up.
Price of everything?

Minimum wage has not kept pace with any basic commodity

you didn't have 50 million illegal Mexicans in this country in 1970, We were still exporting more then we were importing, it didn't change till the mid 1980'S
Which means squat to someone toiling at minimum wage

Price of everything?

Price of everything?

Price of tuition. Price of healthcare.

Just to name the two biggest.

Why should it?

Forum List

Back