Elvis - Netflix viewing

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

While I've never been any sort of an Elvis Presley fan, I cannot deny his tremendous impact on popular music and culture in the 50's and 60's. After a recommendation from a friend of mine, I streamed the linked film on Netflix this evening.

The story is fairly well done, but the one thing that stood out to me was the horrible performance by Tom Hanks. I know nothing about "Colonel" Tom Parker, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have a German accent - or whatever the fuck Hanks was trying to do. Has TH never been south of the Mason Dixon line? I've heard better southern accents from recent Russian immigrants.

Anyone else see this turkey?

While I've never been any sort of an Elvis Presley fan, I cannot deny his tremendous impact on popular music and culture in the 50's and 60's. After a recommendation from a friend of mine, I streamed the linked film on Netflix this evening.

The story is fairly well done, but the one thing that stood out to me was the horrible performance by Tom Hanks. I know nothing about "Colonel" Tom Parker, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have a German accent - or whatever the fuck Hanks was trying to do. Has TH never been south of the Mason Dixon line? I've heard better southern accents from recent Russian immigrants.

I almost turned it off in the first 10 mins.

It turned out okay after the first hour.

Nope, I have not seen it. However, I'm older than dirt; my ex was and is an Elvis fanatic. We attended more than a dozen of his concerts from Miami to Jacksonville, Atlanta, Dallas, and more. Like a few other superstars, he had an incredible ability to connect with his audience personally. His talents and concerts were electric.

The last concert we attended was in Jacksonville, Florida; he died later that same year. On the drive home, I commented that he looked terrible and that I thought he was on the verge of dying.

Parker was from the Netherlands.....so no he didnt have a German accent....

It is a terrible movie. For so many reasons.
Tom Hanks bombed the character, and I say that with the opinion he is one of the best actors in history.
The movie is style over substance, with a weird score that includes rap music... rap music.... in a movie about Elvis. :rolleyes:
They go woke with the portrayal of Little Richard. They portrayed him as a skinny little twink "girl boy" - he absolutely was not. Like many 70s male performers, they went down an androgynous line... but during the time period this movie was supposed to represent - Little Richard wore suit and ties and was 100% typical male performer.
It is not an "Elvis movie"... it is a fantasy piece with virtually no truth/reality to it.

I saw the movie twice. The actor that portrayed Elvis did a remarkable job but Tom Hanks did a poor impression of Colonel Tom Parker. Elvis was before my time but his impact is still felt today. Probably the greatest performer in music history.

It is a terrible movie. For so many reasons.
Tom Hanks bombed the character, and I say that with the opinion he is one of the best actors in history.
The movie is style over substance, with a weird score that includes rap music... rap music.... in a movie about Elvis. :rolleyes:
They go woke with the portrayal of Little Richard. They portrayed him as a skinny little twink "girl boy" - he absolutely was not. Like many 70s male performers, they went down an androgynous line... but during the time period this movie was supposed to represent - Little Richard wore suit and ties and was 100% typical male performer.
It is not an "Elvis movie"... it is a fantasy piece with virtually no truth/reality to it.
i saw a documentary about Richard.....when he was at home he was not Little Richard.....it was like you said with the tie and suit and no make-up....

What I will say, is the same thing I said when this movie came out and before I saw it... The story of Elvis doesn't need any embellishments. And that is almost all that this movie is - style over substance.
If you know nothing about Elvis - you may enjoy the show, you may think think the story is a good one... all these things about Elvis you didn't know. Only - they didn't happen. Virtually every portrayal of an actual event the movie shows is a fantasy version of it.
And that is sad. There is a great story here, that for whatever reason, has never been told.

Elvis biggest mistake was his loyalty to Colonel Parker. The long term contract in Las Vegas made Parker a rich man. Elvis wanted to perform in other countries but Parker wanted to keep him performing in Las Vegas. This commitment was depressing for Elvis and continued his spiral into prescription drug addiction.

Elvis biggest mistake was his loyalty to Colonel Parker. The long term contract in Las Vegas made Parker a rich man. Elvis wanted to perform in other countries but Parker wanted to keep him performing in Las Vegas. This commitment was depressing for Elvis and continued his spiral into prescription drug addiction.
And there is a story there, but, again, wasn't told. Why was he so loyal to a man that berated him constantly? Cheated him and used him. It's not like Elvis didn't know it.
And that story is his total devotion to his "devouring mother" - a term used to explain mothers who constantly try to guilt their children into doing what she wants them to do, which is usually stay with them. She berated him constantly also, so Elvis never developed any confidence in himself. A trait he never learned.
When Elvis began going to sing in other towns - she flew into despair, pleading with him to stay home. Elvis felt very guilty and had a complex of feeling like he abandoned his mother.
Elvis also had a serious problem trusting people blindly. Afterall, it was the Colonel who got Elvis into the lime light and gave him stardom. He had total devotion to the Colonel just like he did for his mother.

And there is a story there, but, again, wasn't told. Why was he so loyal to a man that berated him constantly? Cheated him and used him. It's not like Elvis didn't know it.
And that story is his total devotion to his "devouring mother" - a term used to explain mothers who constantly try to guilt their children into doing what she wants them to do, which is usually stay with them. She berated him constantly also, so Elvis never developed any confidence in himself. A trait he never learned.
When Elvis began going to sing in other towns - she flew into despair, pleading with him to stay home. Elvis felt very guilty and had a complex of feeling like he abandoned his mother.
Elvis also had a serious problem trusting people blindly. Afterall, it was the Colonel who got Elvis into the lime light and gave him stardom. He had total devotion to the Colonel just like he did for his mother.
The colonel wanted Elvis to sing just his old hits but Elvis wanted new material to record.

The colonel wanted Elvis to sing just his old hits but Elvis wanted new material to record.
The Colonel learned how much control Elvis's mother had on him, so he both worked to get him away from his mother and, using the same tactics as his mother, replace the loyalty he had for her - for him.
Elvis felt immense pressure and responsibility for the livelihood of his crew, the colonel knew this and would use that to scare Elvis into not trying new things.
The irony of this, is every single time Elvis went his own way and did something the colonel was against - he succeeded better than ever. The "leather outfit" special where he sang Rock n Roll songs around a group of young people - the colonel hated that idea, but it was one of Elvis's biggest specials. He was against Elvis acting in anything but the sappiest movies - Elvis wanted to do something more serious, and pulled away and did King Creole - and it was his biggest hit. Elvis wanted to do a song commemorating MLK's death, the colonel was dead set against him, and even got the studio to threaten Elvis with a lawsuit if he did - but Elvis did it anyway, and that song is one of his best songs he ever performed (If I can Dream).
Elvis may have been a super star clear into the 1980s if the colonel wasn't controling him.

I still remember the picture in the paper in 1977 (I think) of his funeral procession and the bolded headline "The King is Laid To Rest" with a picture of a line of cars that stretched on out of view. For some reason that headline and photograph left an indelible impression.

I worked with an Elvis impersonator, he knew everything about that man. He told me a little bit about Colonel Parker and that was the first I'd heard of him, as I know little to nothing about Elvis. He sounded like a crooked son of a bitch, another bloodsucker who is quite capable of manipulation for his own good.

Forum List

Back