Education a right ?

Education a right

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really don't want people smarter than me with power to tell me what to do.

This is why I loved being enlisted in the Navy, I rarely had that problem.

Last edited:
If you enlist in the military, any military, watch Hogan's Heroes. Study it.

It will tell you every thing you need to know about most officers.

I have worked with a lot of Colonel Klinks. You loved them and you wanted to save their ass, but you never could let them know that is what you were doing.

Last edited:
Now, now, now. Don't get me wrong.

I think our leaders SHOULD be "intellectual" to some degree. After all, our Founders were intellectuals! They wrote on politics, law, philosophy, science, agriculture, theology, you name it. They were pretty dang smart and we can profit from what they teach.

That being said, I don't think intellectual SNOBS are what we need, though, especially ones who feel the need to rub their doctorates in everyone's faces, as if not having such a degree means you're lower than an amoeba.

Last edited:
Only in America - having guns is a right, but education is a privilege...talk about having it arse backwards...

Hmmm... 1 is for self protection and defense... I think we can agree self defense is a right

The other is for the betterment of one's self or someone in one's care... and we have the right to pursue that, but not have it just handed to you... just as the 2nd amendment gives you the right to keep and bear arms, but not the right to have one provided to you

I don't need a piece of paper to tell me that defense is a right.

I find it strange you need to put it in a document, and if you are going to do that, then why not education, too.

Our rights in this country start with the Freedom to do anything as long as you do not infringe on another's Freedom.

Freedom means the right to own Guns (which had to be written into the constitution because it is one of the first rights a free people loose to a tyrannical government ruler. That had to be clarified in the constitution)

Freedom means the right to an Education

Both are your rights to aquire & have this country, but Both need to be earned in this country.

The government does not take taxpayer funds & buy every toddler a gun, ammo, & shooting lessons. You can earn the privilege to join the government military where taxpayers loan you a gun & let you shoot a bunch of government ammo. People have the right to own & carry guns but must earn their own guns & ammo. Government does not just hand them out to everyone. The government does take these rights from dangerous criminals who have infringed the rights of others.

The government should not take taxpayer funds & educate people who are mentally retarded, undeserving, or disrupt class & the education of other students. Government funded education is a privilege students earn by scoring good grades & behaving well. Students scoring failing grades should not to be passed on to higher levels of education. The government should not force failing state run indoctrination upon children. Parents should be allowed to earn the privilege to choose a better than state education for their child using those same tax dollars by making sure their children score better than children in state run schools.

Last edited:
Good answer, Dan.

A "right" means that you're automatically entitled to it, no questions asked, no more, no less.

A "privilege" implies a "<so and so authority> giveth and taketh away."

I think our leaders SHOULD be "intellectual" to some degree. After all, our Founders were intellectuals! They wrote on politics, law, philosophy, science, agriculture, theology, you name it. They were pretty dang smart and we can profit from what they teach.

That being said, I don't think intellectual SNOBS are what we need, though, especially ones who feel the need to rub their doctorates in everyone's faces, as if not having such a degree means you're lower than an amoeba.

I don't know anyone like that. It looks like how you "imagine" people to be rather than how they really are. It's one of the ways Republicans "demonize". It's like saying, "I hate Obama because he's so arrogant. He turns his head sometimes and you can see the side of his nose. So arrogant. Then he shows off with big words and numbers. I just hate his arrogant ways".

Like I said, in a communist takeover, the first to go are always the educated. You would have nothing to fear if I'm reading what you are saying correctly.

In every communist takeover, the first to go were the educated.

Isn't it odd that Republicans are always saying the liberals are "for" communism yet it's the liberals who are "educated", so obviously, they would be the first to go?

The people that would be left over would be the "Cornfed Confederate Republican Party of Teabags". Republican leaders already know how to control them. With "fear". It's part of their fundraising strategy.

You are so right.

Only the cornfed mentally ill oppose tyranny.

Then we agree on something? I think. Are you "ill"?

Uh, let me just point out, when the uneducated take over, then that will be tyranny. Nothing like a country run by stupid. Bush showed us that.

I am ill?

I am on your side dude. I fully support, what you intelligent guys call, elitism.

Last edited:
Good answer, Dan.

A "right" means that you're automatically entitled to it, no questions asked, no more, no less.

A "privilege" implies a "<so and so authority> giveth and taketh away."

Precisely.

The Welfare/Warfare State Constitution of 1935 defines education as a right. It clearly states that your neighbor owes you a living, an education, shelter....the works.

I don't know anyone like that. It looks like how you "imagine" people to be rather than how they really are. It's one of the ways Republicans "demonize". It's like saying, "I hate Obama because he's so arrogant. He turns his head sometimes and you can see the side of his nose. So arrogant. Then he shows off with big words and numbers. I just hate his arrogant ways".

Like I said, in a communist takeover, the first to go are always the educated. You would have nothing to fear if I'm reading what you are saying correctly.
Um, you don't need a psychology degree or even ONE psychology class to interpret basic behavior.

Obama's basic behavior is that of an arrogant intellectual snob.

Education is neither a right nor a privaledge. According to state constitutions, it's an obligation of the state government.

Last edited:

Sounds like you have a problem with the fact that you don't have a doctorate (if indeed that is the case).

Only in America - having guns is a right, but education is a privilege...talk about having it arse backwards...

You're dealing with people who think all the world's wisdom came from a naked woman eating a magic apple given to her by a talking snake. You're dealing with people who are willing to be led by someone who thinks the earth is 6000 years old.

Educaton is incompatible with conservatism.

Well this thread is now finished , we have been graced by the voice of ignorance .
Send it to the flame zone.

Our rights in this country start with the Freedom to do anything as long as you do not infringe on another's Freedom.

Freedom means the right to own Guns (which had to be written into the constitution because it is one of the first rights a free people loose to a tyrannical government ruler. That had to be clarified in the constitution)

Freedom means the right to an Education

Bullshit.
Right to keep and bear arms is in the 2A of the US COnstitution.
WHere is the "right" to education written?

It's a right if we want civilization to be a going concern.

But instead of the using the word "right" I'd call it an OBLIGATION.

Each generation is obligated to educate the next generation.

Failure by a society to do that spells the end of that society.

Forum List

Back