On-going Haz-mat situation I-40, AZ/NM line

ozro

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2014
Off-grid Apache County, AZ
A train derailed yesterday, 4/26/24, and caught fire. Propane and gasoline is what is reported to be on-board. I-40 has been closed in both directions since it happened, with no indication when it will reopen. Authorities are not trying to put the fire out, so it may be a few days.....or longer.
I live about 40 miles from this wreck, and am glad I am upwind from it.

A train derailed yesterday, 4/26/24, and caught fire. Propane and gasoline is what is reported to be on-board. I-40 has been closed in both directions since it happened, with no indication when it will reopen. Authorities are not trying to put the fire out, so it may be a few days.....or longer.

It's good that propane and gasoline are on board because they will simply burn up and no longer be a hazard.

You said the Interstate 40 is closed but the video shows traffic in both directions. Must be a lot less hazardous than they claim. That is a relatively small fire.

First, I hope BNSF is telling the truth and nothing more serious is on-board.
Second, the video is from yesterday immediately after it happened. One of the proprietors of the tourists trap on the state line got the video with a drone. However, shortly after, the highway was closed.
Edited to add;
In the 24 hours since it started, the fire is a lot bigger.

Well I'm l30 or so miles east of you on I-40 but actually it's a good thing the propane and butane are burning. Otherwise both substances are heavier than air and would likely spread out over the land cause serious fire hazards in a far larger area. And the burning is not very toxic, certainly no more than with the millions of people who use propane for cooking and fuel and heating their homes.

My father was long LONG ago in the butane/propane business and one of his huge storage tanks caught fire one night. By the time the fire department got there, the fire had destroyed the valves and the fire was burning indiscriminately lighting up the whole north end of town but doing no further damage. It took everything he had to convince the firemen NOT to put out the fire because it would then allow the propane to spill and spread out over the ground and create many more serious fires.

Last edited:
Well I'm l30 or so miles east of you on I-40 but actually it's a good thing the propane and butane are burning. Otherwise both substances are heavier than air and would likely spread out over the land cause serious fire hazards in a far larger area. And the burning is not very toxic, certainly no more than with the millions of people who use propane for cooking and fuel and heating their homes.

My father was long LONG ago in the butane/propane business and one of his huge storage tanks caught fire one night. By the time the fire department got there, the fire has destroyed the valves the the fire was burning indiscriminately lighting up the whole north end of town but doing no further damage. It took everything he had to convince the firemen NOT to put out the fire because it would then allow the propane to spill and spread out over the ground and create many more serious fires.
Yeah, if it IS just gas and propane it's good it burns off. But BNSF has been known to leave out facts, so.....I am glad to be west of it.
I posted this because I have seen a few truckers post here. Indication is I-40 will be closed a few days. Hopefully it will save someone some time and hassle getting around it.

Yeah, if it IS just gas and propane it's good it burns off. But BNSF has been known to leave out facts, so.....I am glad to be west of it.
I posted this because I have seen a few truckers post here. Indication is I-40 will be closed a few days. Hopefully it will save someone some time and hassle getting around it.
Amtrak can't go through there either obviously so there's at least one trainload of people stranded here in Albuquerque. There are precious few east/west highways in this part of the world, so a lot of people are going to have to drive a lot of hours out of their way to get around it. I suspect most will divert south to I-10 for east/west traffic.

Amtrak can't go through there either obviously so there's at least one trainload of people stranded here in Albuquerque. There are precious few east/west highways in this part of the world, so a lot of people are going to have to drive a lot of hours out of their way to get around it. I suspect most will divert south to I-10 for east/west traffic.
All that is true. Traffic is already being diverted south in both Flagstaff and in Albuquerque.

Yet another derailed BNSF train, owned by the liberal Democrat Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway.

This is why we need more pipelines, folks.

Initial Report: Train Derailment near Lupton, AZ (Gallup Subdivision) | Customer Notifications | BNSF

Gee....boats crashing into bridges.....trains derailing......who needs terrorism when your government plots these "accidents" and carries them out.

First, I hope BNSF is telling the truth

East Palestine proves big corporations are always honest.

Remember when Exxon Valdez proved to the Left that big corporations were unwaveringly inherently evil?

Funny how their narrative instantaneously dissipates when there's the "correct" White House incumbent.

You're a fucking infant.

The inept Transportation secretary will probably rely on his minions in the media to downplay or ignore the crisis while democrats blame Trump.

I saw video where the highway was claimed to be closed but traffic was vigorously passing on the highway in the background.

I am sure you think you know more than anyone else Gilligan.
I said I saw a video. That is all. I brought it to the attention to the poster who was obviously in error in their comments. The video was from a local TV news station in the area of the derailment and showed the burning train cars with traffic flowing in the background on the interstate. I have also seen conflicting reports that the highway was closed, in one and both directions, and other reports saying it was now open. Which do I believe? Them or my lying eyes?

I said I saw a video. That is all. I brought it to the attention to the poster who was obviously in error in their comments. The video was from a local TV news station in the area of the derailment and showed the burning train cars with traffic flowing in the background on the interstate. I have also seen conflicting reports that the highway was closed, in one and both directions, and other reports saying it was now open. Which do I believe? Them or my lying eyes?
Go look for yourself. That's my best advice for you. I had told you the video was right after it happened, prior to the cops coming and shutting down the highway.
You don't believe it.
I also told you the road was closed and the fire got bigger.
You don't believe it.
The fact is, the east bound lanes are still closed.
You won't believe it.
The westbound lanes opened this morning.
You won't believe it.
I also just came back from taking a ride up there. I went to see.
You won't believe it.
There is no gas on I40, or diesel fuel. I saw it for myself, and when I asked at the speedway station I go to, I was told Holbrook still has fuel.
You won't believe it.
I saw rail cars lined up on the tracks 35 miles west of the accident. I saw tractor trailers parked 35 miles back.
You won't believe it.
I have no idea how far trucks and rail cars are lined up to the east, I would have had to take the mud roads about 25 miles into Gallup to see.
Go see for yourself.
I did.
But...you won't believe it.

Go look for yourself. That's my best advice for you. I had told you the video was right after it happened, prior to the cops coming and shutting down the highway.
You don't believe it.
I also told you the road was closed and the fire got bigger.
You don't believe it.
The fact is, the east bound lanes are still closed.
You won't believe it.
The westbound lanes opened this morning.
You won't believe it.
I also just came back from taking a ride up there. I went to see.
You won't believe it.
There is no gas on I40, or diesel fuel. I saw it for myself, and when I asked at the speedway station I go to, I was told Holbrook still has fuel.
You won't believe it.
I saw rail cars lined up on the tracks 35 miles west of the accident. I saw tractor trailers parked 35 miles back.
You won't believe it.
I have no idea how far trucks and rail cars are lined up to the east, I would have had to take the mud roads about 25 miles into Gallup to see.
Go see for yourself.
I did.
But...you won't believe it.
Well excuse me for telling you what I saw. You obviously had a better perspective, but I saw nothing you said that would convince me before. Now you have. Thank you!

However, the situation has changed as the highway reopened and all evacuation orders were lifted according to CNN.

Forum List

Back