Education a right ?

Education a right

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You have failed to prove that there is a right to education specifically. No amount of spinning will produce it because it is not there.
Sorry. Thanks for playing.

There are more inalienable rights than one could ever imagine or numerate....we are not limited to the 10 rights in the Bill of Rights.

:eek::eek::eek:OMG:eek::eek::eek:

This is one of the problems we face , Hard packed ignorance.

Actually, you should read up on our inalienable rights....you may find ignorance looking at you in the mirror Mr. Fit.... ;)

thanks, Care. reading your response calmed me considerably. i neednt add more.

Is education a civil right?

"Is education a civil right?

Technically speaking, no. However, since the famous 1954 case of Brown v. The Board of Education, it has been illegal for public schools to discriminate on the basis of race. It is also illegal for a public school district to be segregated as a result of intentional practices, such as drawing the schools’ boundaries around exclusively single race areas (this is known as de jury segregation). "

from;
Education

"Introduction

The right to education is a fundamental human right. Every individual, irrespective of race, gender, nationality, ethnic or social origin, religion or political preference, age or disability, is entitled to a free elementary education. This right is explicitly stated in the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), adopted in 1948:"

It seems that while education is not a right defined by anything in US law, pursuit of education IS a right defined in US law, and if public education is available, it must be made available to all in an equal manner.

The United nations defines education as a 'human right'.

from the above link;
"Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit. …" (Article 26)"

So it appears that the argument over whether education is a "right" is based on which definition is to be used, ie: civil right vs. human right.

My opinion is that while it is not a 'civil right' in the USA, I can agree that access to education, especially equal access to education is a 'human right'.

I believe that education is a privelage in the USA that too few actually take advantage of.

Even those that believe that education is a right must recognize that noone can be forced to learn against their will.

The question of what an education must contain to be considered an education has been the subject of debate since Plato. Those that practice certain fundamental religions believe that educating their children simply means teaching them the content of their particular religious texts. Those that practice a more secular life believe that education means teaching children subjects that include the sciences, and leaving out the religious texts. Those arguments will likely continue, simply because the world is not made of a homogenous group of people. Even our nation is not a homogenous society.

I believe that we all have a responsibility to educate our children. Personally, I volunteer at the local high school to tutor students that need help. I urge everyone who has that ability to do the same. If you have an education, realize that knowledge is only 'borrowed'. To best serve your fellow humans, passing that education and knowledge on to the next generation is the right thing to do.

You have failed to prove that there is a right to education specifically. No amount of spinning will produce it because it is not there.

So is education necessary? Or are you against education in general?

No one can claim a right if excercising that right imposes an obligation on someone else.

Agreed. We have no "right" that, by virtue of its existence, requires the labor or property (money) of other citizens.

I have to disagree with Rabbi's earlier premise that we have a "right to a jury trial". This is not mentioned at all in the U.S. Constitution.
"In Article 3, Section 2, the Constitution requires that all criminal trials be heard by a jury. It also specifies that the trial will be heard in the state the crime was committed. The 6th Amendment narrows the definition of the jury by requiring it to be "impartial." Finally, the 7th Amendment requires that certain federal civil trials guarantee a jury trial if the amount exceeds twenty dollars."
Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Education is bought and sold. Therefore, like healthcare, it is a commodity.

States will do as they please, under the 10th. But, there is no enumerated power that I'm aware of that would allow the central government to directly mandate education for U.S. citizens, which is why many people believe the Department of Education is unconstitutional and should be abolished.

Either we believe in Limited Government, or we don't. Either we believe in upholding the U.S. Constitution, or we don't. The misuse of the Commerce Clause has all but dismantled our Federalist form of government. We have come to the point where Washington politicians like Nancy Pelosi no longer recognize ANY limits to their authority.:eek:
From her press release, Pelosi states:

“The Constitution gives Congress broad power to regulate activities that have an effect on interstate commerce. Congress has used this authority to regulate many aspects of American life, from labor relations to education to health care to agricultural production. Since virtually every aspect of the heath care system has an effect on interstate commerce, the power of Congress to regulate health care is essentially unlimited.“
Nancy, Are You Serious?|Tenth Amendment Center

A statement like that should freeze the blood of all but the most staunch of leftists. It's visceral proof that these people have literally no compunctions whatsoever about the Spirit of Liberty and the vows they personally made to uphold our Constitution protecting it.

Libertarians and Republicans should be natural allies in the matter of limiting the reach of central government. This IS the make-it-or-break-it issue of our day. It transcends lesser disagreements about social issues, which should be decided in the States and only on questions which do not impede the unalienable rights of citizens.

Certainly the founders prized education, believing that only an educated populace could preserve liberty. Curious then, why they elected NOT to include mandatory education as a provision of our contract with federal government. :eusa_shhh:

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

So you think that if my state denied my (hypothetical) child an education that I couldn't win in the Supreme Court, if it went that far?

Yes, I see it is an inalienable right....one that is not writen down, or forbidden by the constitution.

There are more inalienable rights than one could ever imagine or numerate....we are not limited to the 10 rights in the Bill of Rights.

AND just because it is one of our rights, does NOT MEAN that the government HAS TO provide it for us, they just do not have the power given to them, to PREVENT us or to stop us...from becoming educated.

The 9th amendment says essentially that just because it's not written down in the Bill of Rights, doesn't mean that it might not be a right just as paramount and unalienable as any that are.
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

That said, the sword swings both ways when we start making up arbitrary "rights". In the matter of education, who is to say that we don't have a right to remain ignorant if we so choose, or to choose the same for our offspring. "Ignorance is bliss", they say. Who's to say otherwise and sit in judgment of what comprises "Happiness"?

Personally, I don't see any reason why State laws mandating public education can't be challenged on that basis.

:eek::eek::eek:OMG:eek::eek::eek:

This is one of the problems we face , Hard packed ignorance.

Actually, you should read up on our inalienable rights....you may find ignorance looking at you in the mirror Mr. Fit.... ;)

The bill of rights constrains the government, not the people.

hopelessly over your head. its like the three lil pigs thing, the last time you got stumped. you simply are one of the folks to use the constitution without any understanding of it. i quoted the ninth amendment for your review, however you insist on believing that rights have to be laid out in specifics. maybe wherever youre from. not in the united states.

Yes, I see it is an inalienable right....one that is not writen down, or forbidden by the constitution.

AND just because it is one of our rights, does NOT MEAN that the government HAS TO provide it for us, they just do not have the power given to them, to PREVENT us or to stop us...from becoming educated.

The 9th amendment says essentially that just because it's not written down in the Bill of Rights, doesn't mean that it might not be a right just as paramount and unalienable as any that are.
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

That said, the sword swings both ways when we start making up arbitrary "rights". In the matter of education, who is to say that we don't have a right to remain ignorant if we so choose, or to choose the same for our offspring. "Ignorance is bliss", they say. Who's to say otherwise and sit in judgment of what comprises "Happiness"?

Personally, I don't see any reason why State laws mandating public education can't be challenged on that basis.

roger that. god help the plaintiff looking to remain ignorant, but true. im sure there's precedence for 'alternative' schooling situations.

hopelessly over your head. its like the three lil pigs thing, the last time you got stumped. you simply are one of the folks to use the constitution without any understanding of it. i quoted the ninth amendment for your review, however you insist on believing that rights have to be laid out in specifics. maybe wherever youre from. not in the united states.
Rights come from God.
You cannot not make or give someone an education , they have to take it, they have to acquire it .
You can lead a liberal to knowledge, but you cannot make them think.

So you think that if my state denied my (hypothetical) child an education that I couldn't win in the Supreme Court, if it went that far?

that would be a discrimination concern unless they enjoined your seeking to educate ur kid or locked you up for the same, etc.

Easy to say when you can't answer the question.
Once again: I know there is a right to keep and bear arms because the 2A says so. How do you know there is a right to education?

Once again: I know there is a right to keep and bear arms because the 2A says so. How do you know there is a right to education?

you dont understand natural, inalienable, enumerated and unenumerated rights. its a prerequisite to comprehending the answers youve already been given. rights of all these types are protected by the constitution. understanding these types of rights is paramount in understanding the document or the united states. you clearly lack a comprehension of your new land or its founding docs, despite your arrogance.

Thomas Jefferson in his Declaration of Independence said:
"that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness;"

if you think the government is allowed to prevent the education of its citizens, or bigbro their hairdos or the color of their sox because there's no specific amendment preventing it from doing so, you have totally mistaken the constitution.

obtuse, my friend, is dirt-stupid's lil' sister.

you dont understand natural, inalienable, enumerated and unenumerated rights. its a prerequisite to comprehending the answers youve already been given. rights of all these types are protected by the constitution. understanding these types of rights is paramount in understanding the document or the united states. you clearly lack a comprehension of your new land or its founding docs, despite your arrogance.

"that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness;"

if you think the government is allowed to prevent the education of its citizens, or bigbro their hairdos or the color of their sox because there's no specific amendment preventing it from doing so, you have totally mistaken the constitution.

the government is not required to take money from its citizens and give it to others so they can persue life liberty and happiness.....

if you want an education go get one......

Our rights in this country start with the Freedom to do anything as long as you do not infringe on another's Freedom.

Freedom means the right to own Guns - But not the right to have taxpayers give you a FREE Gun! (which had to be written into the constitution because it is one of the first rights a free people loose to a tyrannical government ruler. That had to be clarified in the constitution)

Freedom means the right to an Education - But not the right to have taxpayers give you a FREE Education!

Both are your rights to pursue, acquire & have this country without government imposed restrictions, but Both need to be earned in this country & not given away freely.

The government does not take taxpayer funds & buy every toddler a gun, ammo, & shooting lessons. You can earn the privilege to join the government military where taxpayers loan you a gun & let you shoot a bunch of government ammo. People have the right to own & carry guns but must earn their own guns & ammo. Government does not just hand them out to everyone. The government does take these rights from dangerous criminals who have infringed the rights of others.

The government should not take taxpayer funds & educate people who are mentally retarded, undeserving, or disrupt class & the education of other students. Government funded education is a privilege students earn by scoring good grades & behaving well. Students scoring failing grades should not to be passed on to higher levels of education. The government should not force failing state run indoctrination upon children. Parents should be allowed to earn the privilege to choose a better than state education for their child using those same tax dollars by making sure their children score better than children in state run schools.

the government is not required to take money from its citizens and give it to others so they can persue life liberty and happiness.....

I dont mean to be ironic
In this case, You cant fix stupid.
It isdeliberately stupid, the kind where you lie to yourself and then expect other people to go along.
:lol::lol::lol:

Rights come from God.
You cannot not make or give someone an education , they have to take it, they have to acquire it .
You can lead a liberal to knowledge, but you cannot make them think.

i come from a different ilk, playboy. momma gave me an education. shoved it down my throat till i shoved it down my own.

I dont mean to be ironic
In this case, You cant fix stupid.
It isdeliberately stupid, the kind where you lie to yourself and then expect other people to go along.
:lol::lol::lol:

no clue what you are trying to say here......but then i went to public school....and paid my way through university.....so that may be it.....

Forum List

Back