Education a right ?

Education a right

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good answer, Dan.

A "right" means that you're automatically entitled to it, no questions asked, no more, no less.

A "privilege" implies a "<so and so authority> giveth and taketh away."

That's nonsense. All established 'rights' have limits.

...The Fascist State organizes the nation, but leaves a sufficient margin of liberty to the individual; the latter is deprived of all useless and possibly harmful freedom, but retains what is essential; the deciding power in this question cannot be the individual, but the State alone....

Benito Mussolini:

No one can claim a right if excercising that right imposes an obligation on someone else.

More libertarian malarkey. I guess there is no right to trial by jury of one's peers then.

If it involves forcing people to serve on a jury against their will, then yes, they have no right.

Thanks. Your narrow adherence to a ridiculous theory has made your views unintelligible and repugnant.
Not that Libertarianism is anything but.

Our rights in this country start with the Freedom to do anything as long as you do not infringe on another's Freedom.

Freedom means the right to own Guns (which had to be written into the constitution because it is one of the first rights a free people loose to a tyrannical government ruler. That had to be clarified in the constitution)

Freedom means the right to an Education

Bullshit.
Right to keep and bear arms is in the 2A of the US COnstitution.
WHere is the "right" to education written?

youre getting in over your head again ol' rabbi. education is an inalienable right. you couldnt impose a federal ban on education under the constitution. because something is not specifically in the constitution does not mean that the constitution does not provide it.

so many kooks wield the constitution like it's shitpaper. its disrespect, man. be informed:doubt:

this is an entirely different matter than government's obligation to provide free education. thats not a given where a right exists. universal education is merely a benefit of living in a modern, wealthy, forward-thinking nation.

Now, now, now. Don't get me wrong.

I think our leaders SHOULD be "intellectual" to some degree. After all, our Founders were intellectuals! They wrote on politics, law, philosophy, science, agriculture, theology, you name it. They were pretty dang smart and we can profit from what they teach.

That being said, I don't think intellectual SNOBS are what we need, though, especially ones who feel the need to rub their doctorates in everyone's faces, as if not having such a degree means you're lower than an amoeba.

I don't know anyone like that. It looks like how you "imagine" people to be rather than how they really are. It's one of the ways Republicans "demonize". It's like saying, "I hate Obama because he's so arrogant. He turns his head sometimes and you can see the side of his nose. So arrogant. Then he shows off with big words and numbers. I just hate his arrogant ways".

Like I said, in a communist takeover, the first to go are always the educated. You would have nothing to fear if I'm reading what you are saying correctly.
Um, you don't need a psychology degree or even ONE psychology class to interpret basic behavior.

Obama's basic behavior is that of an arrogant intellectual snob.

To me, Obama is a thoughtful, concerned intelligent man.

Now, you want to see an arrogant snob. Watch this video. This T-Blossom is mocking every American soldier or citizen killed or wounded from Islamic Fascism. Look at this and tell me it's funny.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3p9y_OEAdc]YouTube - Now watch this drive![/ame]

Our rights in this country start with the Freedom to do anything as long as you do not infringe on another's Freedom.

Freedom means the right to own Guns (which had to be written into the constitution because it is one of the first rights a free people loose to a tyrannical government ruler. That had to be clarified in the constitution)

Bullshit.

You guys love to quote the constitution when it appears to make your point. But you misunderstand the framework of our government.

Not all rights flow from the constitution. Just because you can't find something mentioned by name in the constitution, that doesn't mean it's not a right.

I'd say we have a right to pursue an education. But a right to the education itself? Can't exist. It's on the individual to take the right he's been given and make the most of it. The old lead a horse to water and all that noise.

It's a right if we want civilization to be a going concern.

But instead of the using the word "right" I'd call it an OBLIGATION.

Each generation is obligated to educate the next generation.

Failure by a society to do that spells the end of that society.

This makes a nice bumper sticker, and I'd like to agree with you: Except, I cannot think of any society that has met its demise at the hands of ignorance.

What spells the end of a human society is ANOTHER Human Society.

E.G. It wasn't for lack of educating their kids that the Native Americans' Society Ended.

Every state provides children public education, and in doing so is not allowed to discriminate, therefore you have a right to an education, as long as you're a child and a legal resident of the state.

Bullshit.

youre getting in over your head again ol' rabbi. education is an inalienable right. you couldnt impose a federal ban on education under the constitution. because something is not specifically in the constitution does not mean that the constitution does not provide it.

so many kooks wield the constitution like it's shitpaper. its disrespect, man. be informed:doubt:

this is an entirely different matter than government's obligation to provide free education. thats not a given where a right exists. universal education is merely a benefit of living in a modern, wealthy, forward-thinking nation.

I know keeping and bearing arms is a right because it says so in the 2A.
How do you know education is an "inalienable" right?

Just because something is desirable doesn't turn it into a right.

It's a right if we want civilization to be a going concern.

But instead of the using the word "right" I'd call it an OBLIGATION.

Each generation is obligated to educate the next generation.

Failure by a society to do that spells the end of that society.

This makes a nice bumper sticker, and I'd like to agree with you: Except, I cannot think of any society that has met its demise at the hands of ignorance.

What spells the end of a human society is ANOTHER Human Society.

E.G. It wasn't for lack of educating their kids that the Native Americans' Society Ended.

educated and free - Google Search

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

We are being set up for Universal college diplomas paid for by the public, no matter how long a person decides to stay in school.

Last edited:
Yes, I see it is an inalienable right....one that is not writen down, or forbidden by the constitution.

There are more inalienable rights than one could ever imagine or numerate....we are not limited to the 10 rights in the Bill of Rights.

AND just because it is one of our rights, does NOT MEAN that the government HAS TO provide it for us, they just do not have the power given to them, to PREVENT us or to stop us...from becoming educated.

Bullshit.

Vernon, the Constitution protects your right to pursue an education.

The Constitution does NOT force your neighbor to provide you an education.

Every state provides children public education, and in doing so is not allowed to discriminate, therefore you have a right to an education, as long as you're a child and a legal resident of the state.

In support of this, from the NYS Constitution:

The legislature shall provide for the maintenance and support of a system of free common schools, wherein all the children of this state may be educated.

and

No person shall be denied the equal protection of the laws of this state or any subdivision thereof.

____

I would say that establishes education as a right.

I know keeping and bearing arms is a right because it says so in the 2A.
How do you know education is an "inalienable" right?

Just because something is desirable doesn't turn it into a right.

the Founders in The U.S. Constitution said:
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

how do i know? how dont you know?

educating oneself is probably a natural right like breathing, and happens just as naturally and plurally.

taken to the more formal constructs of a class/teacher/student environment, it is a right inherited from our freedom of speech enterprise and assembly fortified by our pursuit of happiness ethos. this escapes you?

i think people are confused about rights and entitlement to provision. those are benefits. people wield rights as if they were a valid basis to demand the government supply benefits for them. like the rhetoric behind the dems' healthcare push...

'healthcare is a right!' well, ok. you certainly couldnt ban people caring for their health. what a lengthy and tenuous bridge to demand on that basis that the government is out of step for not supplying it. the fact of the matter is that the government has the power to accomodate what you call is desireable through a number of measures. ever since the civil rights era, groups have tried to justify their causes of desirability on the same basis. their opposition would say 'healthcare's not a right!' in response. self preservation and by extension healthcare is indeed. i digress to the shitpaper thing as they wrestle with the constitution far from where it applies.

if the government wanted to weasel out of providing americans a free education, i feel we do have standing to be pissed. i would question, under this far, far fetched circumstance, why they are trying to undermine the nation and make us inferior to the rest of the developed world with that ..undesireable.. policy.

Forum List

Back