Does this offend you as an American?

Flying the colors of another nation above the US flag, and displaying the US flag upside down is NOT just a political expression.

Of course it isn't just a political statement.

It is ALSO a political statement, not just a political statment. But as such, it is protected by the first amendment.

I don't like it, but there it is. FWIW, I don't like fucking NAZIs spewing hate on public streets, either, but I have to live with that, too.

As do we all.

That a fact? Flying the US colors upside down is a symbol of distress. Can you shout fire in a crowded theater? No.

If the school was a ship at sea, I'd suggest that the admiralty court might be the place to lodge that complaint. Under those conditions, perhaps, that argument might find succor.

What does flying it upside down as a political expression do to its meaning?

I can't speak for what it might do for its meaning.

What happens when someone is REALLY in distress, that is their only means of expressing it, and nobody pays attention because they think it's just another retard making some warped political expression?

Good question. One presumes that a school will use a phone to call for help instead of short-flag semaphor.

I don't see your argument.

Which argument can't you see, gun?

The argument that I am making: that it is protected by first amendment, or the argument that I have not made: that that I applaude what they did?

And let's don't play semantics huh? Sure, people are free to express their political opinions. I disagree with their use of the US colors to do, and I am just as free to express MY opinion and it is no less valid just because YOU or some morons who wish to disrepsect our Colors disagree with it.

No semantics are in play. I've been perfectly clear, even though it is obvious that at least a few of you are confused by my clarity.

They dissed our flag, as I said in my first post.

I also don't like their message, as I also made perfectly clear in my first post.

Is what they sybolically said is protected first amendment free speech? It is if flying a flag upside down is legal, I think.

I think it is...with the possible exception, of course, if one does that same thing AT SEA.

Are we clear about what we are discussing now?

Or are you also going to try to make me the official spokeman for those kids because you can't vent you anger at them?

Last edited:
Don't you see the idiocy of what you are saying. Children do what teachers tell them to do even when they know it wrong. If you don't understand how the threat of humiliation and being ostrcized forces people and especially children to do things they wouldn't do otherwise then you are truly clueless about human behavior.....
Well you apparently never had the gumption that I did when I was a kid. That's not my fault, it's entirely yours. But then again, I was brought up in a strong Catholic family, and we were told to stand up for ourselves. If someone asked me to do drugs, I'd tell them to pound sand. And if someone dissed my kid sister, I'd pound them into the sand.

So just like you were a kid and were afraid to fess up, its time to fess up now and admit that no one forced you to say the Pledge. :D

Hi Angel!

Just to set the record straight, in our school, a student doesn't have to say the pledge. It's THEIR choice. Some can't because of religious reasons, others because they don't know the language yet, others because they just choose not to.

NOT ONE TEACHER has ever punished or made fun of a student who didn't say the pledge. I don't mind saying it every day, but if someone doesn't want to say it, that's fine too.

Echo, I'm glad to hear that saying the Pledge has now become more of a choice and no one is punished anymore for refusing to say it.

Do you use the traditional version, sans the "under God" or the McCarthy era version with the "under God" tacked on?

I used to enjoy saying it when I was too young to understand the words.

If they had a version with ".. one nation, underdogs" I might like that one the best. :lol:

(There is a joke in there somewhere ...)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back