Does this offend you as an American?

No wonder they all wanted to slap you upside the head. In the same post you claim one thing then disprove yourself. :lol:

There is no contradiction. Is this how you normally act when you are losing a debate?

You inferred. Otherwise you would have said "Eisenhower era" instead of "McCarthy era". :cuckoo:

Actually, you would say she "implied".

It's not called the Eisenhower Era. What she's referring to is called the McCarthy Era. So you would have her use a misnomer rather than correctly refer to the time period. I'm not quite sure what agenda that meets other than to be contrary, but whatever.

And yes, the words were inserted to root out those nasty commies.

Echo Zulu says in an earlier post:

"There you have it then. I have no problem with the flag of Mexico being flown in the proper manner. I teach a lot of kids from there, and they respect both the American and Mexican flag. In our school we STILL say the pledge of allegiance every day before class starts. (It's an Indianapolis Public School-I'm on my lunch break right now sitting in my classroom that is 90 degrees INSIDE...anyhoo......)

My father and brother are both Vets, so the flag even has more meaning to me, as I'm sure it does others.

(did this go too off topic? sorry!=don't mess with the American Flag!)"

Hi Angel!

Just to set the record straight, in our school, a student doesn't have to say the pledge. It's THEIR choice. Some can't because of religious reasons, others because they don't know the language yet, others because they just choose not to.

NOT ONE TEACHER has ever punished or made fun of a student who didn't say the pledge. I don't mind saying it every day, but if someone doesn't want to say it, that's fine too.

There is no contradiction. …

As a child I was forced to till I was brave enough to say no.

I was still made to exit the room every morning because I was told by my teacher that if I was not going to say the Pledge i wouold have get up out of my seat, walk in front of all the other kids and go stand in the hall while they all said it ….
Contradiction’s right there. No one ever forced you to pledge allegiance to the best country on God’s Green Earth. When you finally got up the nerve to resist no one made you do anything but go out in the hall so you wouldn’t disrupt the vast majority who choose to be thankful and respectful.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're in a school funded by gov't $$, there's nothing wrong with a show of respect for nation which is funding it.

Don't like it, attend a school funded by those who hate America. THey're out there, I'm sure.

Actually, you would say she "implied".

It's not called the Eisenhower Era. What she's referring to is called the McCarthy Era. So you would have her use a misnomer rather than correctly refer to the time period. I'm not quite sure what agenda that meets other than to be contrary, but whatever.

And yes, the words were inserted to root out those nasty commies.

Actually, I choose the words I use, not you.

in•fer .4: suggest, hint
m-w.com

And by your last sentence, you obvious agree that was what she inferred. :D

Actually, I choose the words I use, not you.

m-w.com

Unless things have changed radically since I got my degree, you used the word incorrectly. Language has meaning... you don't get to change it by saying you want to.

Now, how about the rest of the link that you left out...

transitive verb
1: to derive as a conclusion from facts or premises <we see smoke and infer fire &#8212; L. A. White> &#8212; compare imply
2: guess, surmise <your letter&#8230;allows me to infer that you are as well as ever &#8212; O. W. Holmes died 1935>
3 a: to involve as a normal outcome of thought b: to point out : indicate <this doth infer the zeal I had to see him &#8212; Shakespeare> <another survey&#8230;infers that two-thirds of all present computer installations are not paying for themselves &#8212; H. R. Chellman>
4: suggest, hint <are you inferring I'm incompetent?>
intransitive verb
: to draw inferences <men&#8230;have observed, inferred, and reasoned&#8230;to all kinds of results &#8212; John Dewey>
&#8212; in·fer·able also in·fer·ri·ble \in-&#712;f&#601;r-&#601;-b&#601;l\ adjective
&#8212; in·fer·rer \-&#712;f&#601;r-&#601;r\ noun

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infer

And by your last sentence, you obvious agree that was what she inferred. :D

Actually, I disagreed with what YOU inferred because you like minomers and malapropisms. Infer means what infer means and the McCarthy Era was the McCarthy (not Eisenhower) Era. It's really not all that complicated.

Unless things have changed radically since I got my degree, you used the word incorrectly. Language has meaning... you don't get to change it by saying you want to.

Please remember you said that the next time there's a discussion about what a "marriage" consists of.

Jillian skipped a lot of classes. She paid affirmative action scholarship students to take her tests for her.

did you read the sentence attached to definition 4?

Give it up, honey. Lots of people misuse imply and infer. Same as they misuse "me" and "I". No great shame. But pursuing it is making you look really silly.
I just re-read it and confirms that I used it correctly. But please go on about your advanced degree. :eusa_whistle:

Gunny is right about the flag law there. I was just looking at the certain law today too.

Though I suggest staying away from Miami, Florida then Gunny. You might have a heart attack down there if you think that alone is bad. :popcorn:

Really? Things must have changed. I lived there for 8 years.

Then too, interesting that you can discern my stance on the issue and give me advice on where I should and should not go from my simply posting portions of the flag code and a link to it.

Dontcha' think?:eusa_whistle:

Flying the colors of another nation above the US flag, and displaying the US flag upside down is NOT just a political expression.
Sure it is. If it was not, why would either of us take offense? We both know perfectly well what whoever did that was saying, do we not?

This nation has such confidence, that we allow freedom of expression, Gunny.

Sure it does. They want to make a political statement?

Nothing stopping loyal Americans from making a counter statement except their own apathy.

That a fact? Flying the US colors upside down is a symbol of distress. Can you shout fire in a crowded theater? No.

What does flying it upside down as a political expression do to its meaning? What happens when someone is REALLY in distress, that is their only means of expressing it, and nobody pays attention because they think it's just another retard making some warped political expression?

I don't see your argument.

And let's don't play semantics huh? Sure, people are free to express their political opinions. I disagree with their use of the US colors to do, and I am just as free to express MY opinion and it is no less valid just because YOU or some morons who wish to disrepsect our Colors disagree with it.

Contradiction&#8217;s right there. No one ever forced you to pledge allegiance to the best country on God&#8217;s Green Earth. When you finally got up the nerve to resist no one made you do anything but go out in the hall so you wouldn&#8217;t disrupt the vast majority who choose to be thankful and respectful.

Don't you see the idiocy of what you are saying. Children do what teachers tell them to do even when they know it wrong. If you don't understand how the threat of humiliation and being ostrcized forces people and especially children to do things they wouldn't do otherwise then you are truly clueless about human behavior.

I've read other posts of yours, glock, that were intelligently written. To grasp at straws like this to pretend to win a debate seems beneath you. But maybe I'm wrong about you.

I never actually knew that that before, that flying the flag upside down was a distress signal. Sometimes I actually learn things in these forums. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, if you're in a school funded by gov't $$, there's nothing wrong with a show of respect for nation which is funding it.

Don't like it, attend a school funded by those who hate America. THey're out there, I'm sure.

It has nothing to do with hating America, it has to do with respecting America by not corrupting the Pledge of Allegiance.

Figures you would say the Bible supports seperation of church and state and then you would turn around and contradict your Bible. Some Christian you are!
Not much of a patriot either.

It has nothing to do with hating America, it has to do with respecting America by not corrupting the Pledge of Allegiance.

Figures you would say the Bible supports seperation of church and state and then you would turn around and contradict your Bible. Some Christian you are!
Not much of a patriot either.

you could have just skipped the "under God" part.

Forum List

Back