Does this offend you as an American?

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
flagdisgrace.jpg

It does me. I have never seen this in our town, (which has a good sized population of Mexican people), but I have seen a couple of American Flag's upside down.

It just ain't right!

Did I do or say anything? No. I guess that is the big problem these days. :doubt: I guess I am part of the problem. I don't know.

Opinions?

flagdisgrace.jpg

It does me. I have never seen this in our town, (which has a good sized population of Mexican people), but I have seen a couple of American Flag's upside down.

It just ain't right!

Did I do or say anything? No. I guess that is the big problem these days. :doubt: I guess I am part of the problem. I don't know.

Opinions?

It would definitely offend me. And if I knew who was responsible, I definitely would have done something about it. I am very against anyone disgracing the American flag. Being former military and have been a part of many Honor and Color Guards, I take the treatment of our flag seriously.

It offends me, too...especially that the Mexican Flag is flying higher than the flag of the nation in which it is flying.

But should you say anything?

To whom? The flag police?

They are expressing a political opinion, as is their right.

The laws of the nation for which that flag stands, the nation they are disrespecting, gives them the freedom to make such statements.

Be proud that you live in a nation so sure of itself that people have that right.

If that place is a business, get a gang of like minded Americans to picket the place.

Show up with hundreds of Americans flying the colors proudly and make a peaceable assembly to express YOUR opinion of the people who are going out of their way to dis this nation's colors.

Turn about IS fair play, Bro.

Last edited:
It offends me, too...especially that the Meican Flag is flying higher than the flag of this nation in which it is flying.

But should you say anything?

To whom? The flag police?

They are expressing a political opinion, as is their right.

The laws of the nation for which that flag stands, the nation they are disrespecting, gives them the freedom to make such statements.

Be proud that you live in a nation so sure of itself that people have that right.

personally, I think Americans should take to the streets and start burning flags.

let's start with Iran, then France, Mexico, N. Korea the list goes on.

it is offensive, and if these people can not appreciate the country that is putting food on their family's tables then THEY DON'T BELONG HERE....I can NOT understand why these illegals would want to stay in a country that they HATE....the US of America, and not in the country that they obviously love, Mexico.

if they were americans, or immigrants that were here legally, and this was a protest of such....fine, it is within their rights and God Bless America...for allowing dissent....

But if they were ILLEGALS trying to make some point by putting their country's flag, above our flag in distress, (upside down), ON OUR SOIL and they think this is going to make some brownie points and immigration law go in their favor, they can kiss my grits! This really pisses me off....and I am a daughter of an immigrant, a legal immigrant and she has only praised the USA, and is GREATFUL to be living here, even with all of our faults....

my mom speaks/reads 7 languages and is "traveled".... so she reads foreign EU papers on the internet to keep up with what is going on in Europe...italian, spanish, greek, french etc and even through some pretty crappy things were going on in our country with our government and other disturbing things, when ever I complained, she always tells me, "my name", you have no idea what you have here in this country....if you could read all the stuff that I can read about in other countries and with other country's governments and people's communities etc, as bad and corrupt as things may seem to be here, it is soooooo much more corrupt over there....still a true class system too..."
America, is still better is what she tells me....it's the greatest country in the world, and even when our gvt messes up here, the PEOPLE fight back and have a never ending spirit of making things better, improving...kicking the corrupt suckers out....she says we haven't been BROKEN, but many countries have been, with complete apathy.

so, maybe I am taking this a bit too hard or personally....and this is why this really pisses me off.... :(

Care

OH, HERE is the original story's link

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/montebello-flag.htm

Last edited:
It looks to me like something the anti-immigrant people would do. The US flag being flown in distress because the Mexican flag is winning...or something like that.

isnt this illegal?

from wiki
No other flag should be placed above it. The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.

When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation in time of peace.

I agree wiith most of you, as I stated. It offends me too. But as one of you also pointed out ............ if ............. they are American citizens, they have the right to do it I guess. There is "flag etiquette" I know ....

American Flag Etiquette.

Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.
American Flag Etiquette | USA Flag Site

and Rules for Display of the American Flag
American Flag Protocol - Display | USA Flag Site

But as another of you said ... who monitors this? No one does. And yes I agree it offends me too when I see jerks burning the American flag in protest of anything.

And yes I agree it offends me too when I see jerks burning the American flag in protest of anything.

Really? I think it is wonderful we live in a country where we are free to burn flags in protest.

btw, I read about this on snopes and it was never clear what message the one's that flew it were trying to make.

Really? I think it is wonderful we live in a country where we are free to burn flags in protest.

btw, I read about this on snopes and it was never clear what message the one's that flew it were trying to make.

Yep .... that is one more point where we disagree ... I do not think the American Flag should be burned for any reason .... other than
When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

flagdisgrace.jpg

It just ain't right!

Opinions?

It depends on who was flying it. If it was on US government property it would be completely out of order. If it was someone's house or preiavtely owned business, I would consider it annoying. But I wouldn't see it any more annoying than say, people who double park or throw trash on the streets. Flags are just symbols. It's natural for people to want to identify with smaller groups. And the US is all about diversity. It just needs to be kept an eye on because fanatical nationalism and things like over identification with sports teams and such can lead to violence.

It depends on who was flying it. If it was on US government property it would be completely out of order. If it was someone's house or preiavtely owned business, I would consider it annoying. But I wouldn't see it any more annoying than say, people who double park or throw trash on the streets. Flags are just symbols. It's natural for people to want to identify with smaller groups. And the US is all about diversity. It just needs to be kept an eye on because fanatical nationalism and things like over identification with sports teams and such can lead to violence.

I don't know. I see it as a definite statement of division. If it had meant to be anything else ... the American Flag would be on top ... right side up ... with the Mexican Flag below ... if it was displayed in the United States of America. My opinion.

I don't know. I see it as a definite statement of division. If it had meant to be anything else ... the American Flag would be on top ... right side up ... with the Mexican Flag below ... if it was displayed in the United States of America. My opinion.

Or it could just be ignorance of proper flag etiquette. It could be someone copying what some one else did without knowing what they were actually saying.

Whatever it was, people are free to express their opinions. If they don't, we won't have useful debate and we could sink into a fascist totalitarian state.

Flag poles use rope, get a knife and cut said rope. As the flags come flapping down grab the American one and disconnect it fold it and place it somewhere clean and safe, let the Mexican one flop around on the ground.

Like everyone says we are free to express our opinions.

Or it could just be ignorance of proper flag etiquette. It could be someone copying what some one else did without knowing what they were actually saying.

Whatever it was, people are free to express their opinions. If they don't, we won't have useful debate and we could sink into a fascist totalitarian state.

That's why we have US message boards! :D To argue and to debate. Just keep your paws off my American flag or I might have to smack you too!. :lol:

That's why we have US message boards! :D To argue and to debate. Just keep your paws off my American flag or I might have to smack you too!. :lol:

LOL!!

Careful, guys here get turned on by cat fights....

Beotch!! ;)

isnt this illegal?

from wiki
No other flag should be placed above it. The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.

When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation in time of peace.

There you have it then. I have no problem with the flag of Mexico being flown in the proper manner. I teach a lot of kids from there, and they respect both the American and Mexican flag. In our school we STILL say the pledge of allegiance every day before class starts. (It's an Indianapolis Public School-I'm on my lunch break right now sitting in my classroom that is 90 degrees INSIDE...anyhoo......)

My father and brother are both Vets, so the flag even has more meaning to me, as I'm sure it does others.

(did this go too off topic? sorry!=don't mess with the American Flag!)

Forum List

Back