Does God want you to be Rich?

Does communion not do the same?

Communion is the symbolic meal that Christians eat together. It reminds us of the sacrifice Jesus made for us, and it is symbolic of our becoming a part of Jesus, by the intake of His "flesh" and "blood."

The Church doesn't dictate how much one should give, at least not any reputable churches. It certainly doesn't command that its members give over all their possessions and redistribute them.

Isn't this just precious! Just ran across an issue of this week's Time magazine, any guesses on the cover story title?

Thats right "Does God Want You To Be Rich"

Maybe it should be "Unoriginal Chad"

I didn't even read the rest of the responses. I'm pretty-damned-SURE God doesn't want ME to be rich.:laugh:

Great post, Gunny - I got a nice laugh out of this one!

I'm kind of coming to the same conclusion about myself. Course, I never wanted to be rich and famous - and so far it's working out REALLY well for me!

Isn't this just precious! Just ran across an issue of this week's Time magazine, any guesses on the cover story title?

Thats right "Does God Want You To Be Rich"

Maybe it should be "Unoriginal Chad"

I didn't start this thread.:eek:

But hey, I've proven that we all make ourselves look stupid at least once.

Communion is the symbolic meal that Christians eat together. It reminds us of the sacrifice Jesus made for us, and it is symbolic of our becoming a part of Jesus, by the intake of His "flesh" and "blood."

The Church doesn't dictate how much one should give, at least not any reputable churches. It certainly doesn't command that its members give over all their possessions and redistribute them.

http://www.biblestudylessons.com/cgi-bin/topics/tithing.php

1 Corinthians 16:1,2 -- On the first day of the week, each one should give as prospered. Some people are comparatively prosperous and should give more; others are comparatively poor and should give less.

Acts 11:29 -- Every man determined to give according to his ability. (See also 2 Cor. 8:12; Mark 12:41-44; Matt. 25:14-30.)

2 Corinthians 9:6,7 -- We should give generously as we purposed in our hearts, not grudgingly or of necessity, but cheerfully.

Just as the New Testament no longer requires animal sacrifices, the Levitical priesthood, the seventh-day Sabbath, the Old Testament holy days, and laws of clean and unclean meats, so it does not require the Old Testament practice of tithing. Rather Christians should support the work of the church by giving on the first day of the week according to their prosperity.

This does not mean we are free to give less than 10%. It might mean we should give more than that. We should give as prospered and purposed in heart.

Yeah, 16 years of church, and 2 years of service on the church council (youth rep.).

No, I don't believe it, there is no way you could have this much experience and confuse communion with tithing. As far as I know tithing only takes place in the mormon church because as a Greek orthodox we are asked to donate yearly but if you don't you are not booted.

I don't think you have a clue as to what the hell you are arguing.

No, I don't believe it, there is no way you could have this much experience and confuse communion with tithing. As far as I know tithing only takes place in the mormon church because as a Greek orthodox we are asked to donate yearly but if you don't you are not booted.

Many Christian sects encourage tithing.

http://www.biblestudylessons.com/cgi-bin/topics/tithing.php

1 Corinthians 16:1,2 -- On the first day of the week, each one should give as prospered. Some people are comparatively prosperous and should give more; others are comparatively poor and should give less.

Acts 11:29 -- Every man determined to give according to his ability. (See also 2 Cor. 8:12; Mark 12:41-44; Matt. 25:14-30.)

2 Corinthians 9:6,7 -- We should give generously as we purposed in our hearts, not grudgingly or of necessity, but cheerfully.

Just as the New Testament no longer requires animal sacrifices, the Levitical priesthood, the seventh-day Sabbath, the Old Testament holy days, and laws of clean and unclean meats, so it does not require the Old Testament practice of tithing. Rather Christians should support the work of the church by giving on the first day of the week according to their prosperity.

This does not mean we are free to give less than 10%. It might mean we should give more than that. We should give as prospered and purposed in heart.

Yet the decision always is made by the church members themselves. It is in no way a coercive or mandatory type of thing, like the IRS.

All of the Baptists churchs around me required 10% tithes. They spent that money on building super churches, amazing basketball courts, church luxury buses, ect...

Forum List

Back